Some VCDS mods you can try out on your A2

Hi,

Firstly a word of warning - You might cause many problems on your A2 by playing around with VCDS mods like this so PLEASE scan in full first and save the results so that you can go back to the original settings when you have messed up.

I am assuming that if you have the VCDS cable you are reasonably aware of the functionality and so, with care, you should be fine.

The following are not yet tried or tested by me (I daren't risk flattening the battery on my wife's A2 while I have a play around.

To make these changes you go into the 46 - Central Convenience control area.

Click on "coding" and make a note of the code number (normally highlighted) of your existing settings, so you can go back to them if it all goes wrong.

There is a list of settings (lower down) and they are all for the early A4 (8E) and they are likely to be the same on your A2, but no guarantees, play at your own peril !!!!

If you want to know how this all works then read the following explanation, if not then just skip straight to the list of options further down.

The idea is that the code is a "binary one" i.e rather than numbers 0 to 9 you only have 0 and 1.
That way, 0 is OFF and 1 is ON (with me so far?)

So when that is converted to normal numbers it is with a string of )s and !s (I hope my maths is correct, please let me know if you spot any errors)

So
000001 = our normal number 1
000010 = our normal number 2
000011 = 3 (2 and 1 added together)
000100 = 4
000101 = 5

And so on
So if you imagine that all of the 0s and 1s are "switches" by giving a code of 5 it would switch on the 4th and 6th option (the 4th and 6th characters being a "1" i.e. ON)

Still with me?

This means that you can have a large number of combinations of options switched on or off.

If I haven't lost you yet or is you just want to do it instead of reading my waffle
This is the list that you can TRY !!!

To switch on a setting, you need to add a set number into the coding field mentioned earlier, to switch it off you deduct that number from the code.

One example is the one I just posted about switching off the remote operation of the windows. In that case you reduce the code that you have already in the coding field by 64
to switch it off (64 when converted is 1000000 and so by reducing it by 64 it switches off the first "switch"). Adding 64 makes it a 1 again and so switches it on.

00001 = GB-Alarm (not USA) - (Not sure if this disables the alarm or not! try it if you are brave)
00002 = Confirmation Anti-Theft Warning System (Blink) - (Flashers when the alarm has been set)
00004 = Selective Central Locking (SCL) - (This is the setting that just unlocks the drivers door - i.e. anti hijack, Double click unlocks all doors)
00008 = Anti-Theft Warning System - (not sure about this one)
00016 = Rear Lid Release Locking at 5 km/h - (Locks the tailgate when you drive off)
00032 = Central Locking at 15 km/h (or 10 mph) - (Locks the doors when you drive off)
00064 = Comfort Function via Remote Control (not USA) - (This is the one that controls the window lowering by remote, disable it if you want to prevent the windows from opening if you accidentally press and hold down the unlock button)
00128 = Right Hand Drive (RHD) - (DON'T change this!!! Unless you have a LHD car but even then it will already be set correctly)
00256 = Avant - (Only set this if you have an A2 estate!!!! leave this alone)
00512 = Confirmation Close via Remote (1x Blink) - (does what it says)
01024 = Confirmation Anti-Theft Warning System Horn Activation - (gives one beep when the alarm is set, I like this option, no beep means you have left a door open)
02048 = Door-/Window Regulator Logic - (not sure)
04096 = Thatcham Anti-Theft Warning (not USA) - (Leave this alone)
08192 = No Safe-Function - (Looks like this relates to the safe and "desafe" messages you sometimes get)

As I say, play at your peril, but if you have a genuine VCDS cable and some time on your hands AND IF YOU HAVE WRITTEN DOWN THE CODE BEFORE YOU START!!! then it is up to you.

By the way I don't recommend deducting a number if the function is already off because that could screw up the code. the same applies to NOT adding in a number if it is already on.

So if you KNOW that one of the above functions is switched ON, then you have the option of reducing the code by that value to switch it off, but DON'T add it in if it is already on or the effect will be to change other functions instead .

One way to do this is to start at zero on a piece of paper and go down the list adding the number of any codes you want to enable until you get th total and then key that into the code field.

Whichever way you do this, when you have the code you want to use enter it in the field click on "Do it" and then exit.

Have fun!!!!!

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi,

Sinless was kind enough to post a great link that shows the above in a different (perhaps clearer) way.

Read together the above and this link here could make it a lot clearer for people wanting to experiment with VCDS changes on their A2

Sinless wrote the following

"Might be of help to someone, especially the Audi Base Code Decoder - http://www.wak-tt.com/vagcom/vagcomclcoding.htm

sinlessUK"

Back