Adding additional keys- including the new shape key

Hi

I thought a summary of the various options might help.

To re-pair a key that has stopped unlocking / locking remotely.

This one is an easy one.
Just switch on the ignition and then press the unlock button on the key that has stopped working (as long as the battery is not flat in the key fob)
Switch off the ignition, remove the key and it should now operate the door locks,

(you can use one key in the ignition and re-pair a different key if you want, you don't have to re-pair the key in the ignition if that one is already ok)

To add an additional key that has never been paired to the car before.
Firstly ensure that you have bought a key that has the same part number as the one you already have.
You can get a blade cut (there are even people on eBay that can provide you with a new key blade if you just end them a photo of the original blade in the key you already have)
I think that many key cutters can do this for you too. (Timsons and the like)
You can pair the remote operation on the new./secondhand key, but ideally you will need VCDS (there is a method that is supposed to work that involves putting the key in the door lock, but to be honest I have tried this several times and never succeeded).

To pair the remote function on a key that has not been paired before
(The following is done after you have selected control function 46 "CCCU" in the VCDS screen and clicked on adaption)

"Enter channel "21" and click on [Read]

This is supposed to display the number of currently stored remotes in "Stored Value".
- Mine always displayed "0" as I think all A2s do?

The "New Value" field is used to indicate the POSITION of the key (out of the 4 positions) NOT the number of keys you want to code,
So instead of following the Ross Tech instructions, try this,
You use the "up/down" arrow to move to the position you want the key to be in (of the 4 possible positions) and then (without clicking test or save or anything) press the unlock button on the key that you want to pair into that position (you might have to hold the unlock down a few seconds, but it is normally quite quick), the field near the top right will change from "initialising" to "Recognised" then click on "save".
You have now paired the first key.
Now repeat this for each key you have (changing the position each time) remembering to save after you get the "recognised" message.

So I would recommend the following, click on the up arrow to get the "1", the field will show "adjustment", press the unlock on the key you want to pair first and the field will change to "recognised" click on save and then you have now paired the first key. Then use the up arrow to move to "2" and then press the unlock button on the second key that you want to pair, when that changes to "recognised" you save that and then repeat for "3" and "4" saving each time. (if you want 4 keys that is!!)

You will now have keys that all work your remote locking.

This process will also work for the new shape keys if you have a CCCU that has a part number that ends in "AF" and a new shape key that has a part number that ends in 220 K. I will be trying to find out which other CCCUs these keys will pair to, but for now I can only guarantee the "AF" unit will pair with a 220 K key (do not buy any other keys, only the 220 K has been proven to work.

The biggest problem you have now is that when you try and use the new key the engine will cut out almost instantly and you will get the flashing "immobiliser" icon.
That is because the final step is to fit a new immobiliser chip and code that to the car. (if you have an old working key that you no longer want to use you can TRY and remove the chip from that and replace it in the new key, but they are well glued in and they are a fragile glass tube. But I have done this a few times and so it can be done. The chip is inside the "key" end of the fob and you will have to lift off the Audi rings to get at the screw that holds it together.

If you can't swap the chip for whatever reason your options are limited. You can take it to Audi to get them to pair the chip (at a large cost). Or you can ask on here if there is anyone local that has the right cable to rad your instrument cluster and get the all important login code to enable you to use VCDS to reprogram a new chip.

I will post a link on this "how to" later, to show how to pair a new immobiliser chip with VCDS once you have your login code.

Steve B

Ahhh, so i can use my vcds to pair my new key for remote locking but i need the correct cable to do the immobiliser?

Can you remind me of the cable needed for that please Steve? I have a spare key that needs programming.

Ahhh, so i can use my vcds to pair my new key for remote locking but i need the correct cable to do the immobiliser?

Can you remind me of the cable needed for that please Steve? I have a spare key that needs programming.

You need a cable that is classed as K-Can with the relevant software (such as VAG Commander) BUT!!!!!!! This cable, if used incorrectly, can completely disable your car SERIOUSLY.

It an overwrite your Instrument cluster chips ad ECU etc. so I can only recommend it if it is ONLY to be used to READ your instrument cluster and not do any updates, unless you are FULLY experienced in the use of such a tool.

The other concern I have is that these are so cheap that they must surely be pirated? I don't know enough about these cables to comment on their legality. So I cannot post any links to eBay etc.

With these cables you need to just read the instrument cluster and the software shows the "login code" then you can program chips using VCDS.

My STRONG recommendation is to find someone who has that cable and knows how to use it rather than run the risk!!!

Fancy a trip to sunny Staines at the weekend?

Steve B

Thanks for the info Steve. I have a remapping cable, that can read and write to the ECU. I will have to read up on if it is the same cable.

I used it to remap my old A3 tdi using a Black Smoke remap file.

A trip to Staines is very tempting, even if it is to see your A2 Chariot in real life. Although i think seeing it will open up another cheque book!

Last edited:
Once you have the Login Code for your instrument cluster you can program a new immobiliser chip with VCDS
This is all assuming that you have fitted the brand new and unused immobiliser chip into the key or keys you want to program
You must collect together all of the keys you want to use (new and all)

Put the first key in the ignition and turn the ignition on (even if this is the new key, that is fine

Place the other keys away from the column (passenger seat is fine)

Fire up VCDS

Select control module 17 -"instruments", select block 022 click "GO". I
f the value in field 3 is 0 then unfortunately the key/immobiliser in the ignition switch is not valid, if it is a 1 then you are fine. You can try this for each key you want to code (by outing each in the ignition and trying this process) but this step is entirely optional, especially if you are sure that you have the right key.

The next bit is important, select block 024, you are hoping to see a zero in fields 1, 2 and 3. if there is a number other than zero you MUST not switch off the ignition until you have waited at LEAST the number of minutes shown in the fields.

Click "Done - go back"
N0w click on 11 - Login, and enter your PIN but you must add a leading zero t your 4 digit login code to make the PIN a 5 digit number - click on "do it"
You are now authorised to code the chips in the keys.
Go to Adaption - 10 and then enter channel number 21 and the click on Read.
Enter the TOTAL NUMBER OF KEYS that you want to be able to use, in the "New value" field

NEARLY THERE

Click on Save, then Done - Go back
The first key is now programmedhe immobiliser warning will have switched off), remove it and insert the second key and turn the ignition on, leave it for a second or two and the immobiliser warning will go off for that one too. The second key is now programmed, repeat for the rest of the keys (if any) but you must do this for the exact number of keys that you entered in the "New value" field earlier. Don't take too long though because this must be completed for all keys within 60 seconds !!!

Job done !!!!

I have used the exact process as listed here and so I know it works.

Steve B

Thanks for the info Steve. I have a remapping cable, that can read and write to the ECU. I will have to read up on if it is the same cable.

I used it to remap my old A3 tdi using a Black Smoke remap file.

A trip to Staines is very tempting, even if it is to see your A2 Chariot in real life. Although i think seeing it will open up another cheque book!

Hi,

That may well be the one.

I would recommend getting hold of VAG commander software and trying that with the cable, if your software doesn't read the instrument cluster (it probably will).

You just plug the cable in and click on READ (the instrument cluster) and the login code is the 4 character code at the bottom of the screen.

Steve B

Tried steves repairing advice but no luck. I put in a new battery just to rule that out. The key opens/locks the doors and starts the car, so I am at a loss what to Do other than go to the dealer.

Tried the unlock the door, start the car, stop the car, press the button....no luck

If it was definitely working on the car before, then as long as the battery has charge and is in the right way around then putting the key (or any working key) in the ignition and then pressing unlock / lock on the key you are having problems with should work. If it doesn't then your key is not working. Either the battery is not right or the key is not working.

Steve B

Last edited:
To be honest steve, I don't know if it was working beforehand as I have just bought the car. I will check and replace the battery again.

To be honest steve, I don't know if it was working beforehand as I have just bought the car. I will check and replace the battery again.
In that case i would suspect that it may never have been paired.

You should see if someone with VCDS local to you can pair it for you.

Steve B

Last edited:
If you fancy a run out to Staines tomorrow afternoon i can try and get it working for you.

Steve B

Last edited:
Saturday afternoons are best, PM me if you want to try to arrange something.

Steve B

Tried steves repairing advice but no luck. I put in a new battery just to rule that out. The key opens/locks the doors and starts the car, so I am at a loss what to Do other than go to the dealer.

Tried the unlock the door, start the car, stop the car, press the button....no luck

Just had a visit by Allan "(Brownridge) and Partner!" what a VERY pleasant couple and an asset to the forum.

They are recent converts to the A2 and new members and loving it (the car and the forum!).

I hope that you both come along to the socials we have lined up, it would be great to have you both and your A2 in the line up.

Steve B

Thanks to Steve who, without making me feel the complete muppet that I clearly am, spotted that the battery was back to front. It's amazing, it works perfectly well now!!!!

Writes out 100 lines....must pay attention to battery polarity........must pay attention to........

Thanks for this amazingly helpful write up Steve. Car came with one key. Now with a refurbished one from eBay and 10 minutes following your instructions, 2 fully operational remotes and peace of mind - priceless!

Thanks for this amazingly helpful write up Steve. Car came with one key. Now with a refurbished one from eBay and 10 minutes following your instructions, 2 fully operational remotes and peace of mind - priceless!
Any chance of linking the one you purchased? Did you use a new transponder? Which software did you use, VCDS (Lite)? TIA.

VCDS-lite. Had to register it with Ross-Tech before I could use the pairing functions. Needed to read login code as per Steve's guide using the VAG commander software. Fob was from eBay, seller Wigankeystore £23.49 + £2.35 tracked postage. Hope that helps.

Back