No communication with cluster, won't start

GuruX

A2OC Donor
This problem has been solved. Continue reading for solution.

Today, Django wouldn't start. He fired once and then just kept running on the starter. The immobilizer symbol is lit. Had to run off to work, but tested when I got home again. Same thing. So I took my computer and scanned him. This is what turned up.

Engine Control Module:
Faults
17978 - P1570 Engine Control Module (ECM) disabled
35-00
18058 - P1650 Databus drivetrain
missing message from instrument cluster, 35-00
18043 - P1635 Databus drivetrain
missing message from A/C control module, 35-00

Dash Board (cluster):
Faults
01177 Engine control module (ECM)
No communication
01317 Instrument cluster control module (J285)
No communication

Central Module Comfort System:

Faults
01317 Instrument cluster control module (J285)
No communication

After the scan, I wanted to clear these errors, but I couldn't even connect to the cluster or the AC unit. I have seen some intermittent communication errors before. My guess is that the ECU is cutting out since it doesn't get an OK from the immobilizer located in the cluster (?). I guess checking cables and connections to the ECU and cluster are the first things to do. Earth point located behind the thershold trim?

Last edited:
First thing to try is the no cost option.
Check the main fuses.

Failing that
Disconnect the battery and leave it for 15 minutes and then reconnect.

If that doesn't resolve the problem then you need to check all of the connections, starting with the ones in the passenger floor cubby hole, (The ones that go to the ECU and the CCCU etc) if they are OK then try the connections behind the cluster that go into the back of the cluster.

Fingers crossed for you.

Steve B

Thank you for you answears Steve!
As I didn't have time to more deeply into this yesterday, I just hooked up my battery charger thinking that it could never be a bad thing. Today the car started just fine. Outside temperature is pretty much the same, about 2c above zero.
So a new battery is going in the car tomorrow. The battery in it now is still the original battery stamped 2000. The reason I really didn't suspect this yesterday was that there was no problem at all cranking the starter several times. Earlier I have seen some intermittent communication errors for cluster, power steering and airbag module. I will continue to look after these, perhaps they will go away now.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday is that the cluster didn't illuminate, only the warning lights was on when I tried to start it.

Hi Gentlemen,

With the miracle of Internet, I find here someone with all the same symptoms that I'm getting today,
On a A2 1.2 TDI 2002 220.000 kms :

No problem cranking the starter several time, the engine starts normally, and stop just after.

The cluster don't illuminate, including the computer board screen, or the climate control.
No power to open windows.
All fuses OK.
The electronic speed box looks OK (pump works, Clutch 1.7V/3.85V, clicks changing gear)
VCDS gives same Engine Control Module Faults:

17978 - P1570 Engine Control Module (ECM) disabled
35-00 Intermittent
18058 - P1650 Databus drivetrain
missing message from instrument cluster, 35-00 Intermittent
18043 - P1635 Databus drivetrain
missing message from A/C control module, 35-00 Intermittent

plus, but those do not come back :
18062 - Read memory of faults from instrument cluster
P1654 - 35-10 - - Intermittent
on gearbox
00845 - Contacteur de détection de position N du levier-sélecteur (F258)
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Battery 12V15 (the car did not moves one week) so based on GuruX adventure, I change the battery (12V90).
All the same. With the exception that now all symbol in the instrument cluster stays illuminated (even while cranking).

Does someone have a clue what's the issue ?
Can this be a relay or a bad ground ?

I am disconnecting the battery for the night, but I'm a bit sceptical...

Last edited:
I connect the battery today and now the symbols in the instrument cluster goes off normally, including the Immotonic one.
But yet same issue.

Please help.

Thank you for the encouragement.
Each time I clean errors, these 3 (17978, 18058, 18043) comes back immediately.
I can also access electronic speed-box (it works, i can engage/disengage reverse), Airbag and Abs modules, no errors there.
But no access to 08 Klima, 17 Cluster, 25 Immotronic, 46 Confort ...

About symbols in the instrument cluster, I noted something strange, the one on the right behave normally, it's what I reported.
But they dont even lights on the left side, the orange ones (as the red coloured screens, computer & clock).

I check again all fuses, they are OK, even the 3 big ones under the carpet. I also inverted the 2x 373 relay there.

AND THEN I see the draining plug not at it's place, because it's cracked!!
How to guess these are time limited stuff on AUDI to be change periodically?!

So I guess there is an issue with ground or connection there, or in instrument cluster.
Am I the first with issue due to perish draining plug under left carpet ??
What would be next ?

So I put apart everything under left front carpet, no corrosion, no ground there
Did the same with instrument cluster, no corrosion on contacts, no brown area on PCB.
Putting back everything with some good WD40.

Where should i found the ground of not responding modules ?
Where is the immotronic one, part of instrument cluster?

Thank you for the help you may give ;)

So all connectors, relays and the ground on A pillar have been check and clean with WD40.
This include the relays on top of fuse box, klima control, instrument cluster, main light switch.

With or without main light switch in place, I have the green light symbol illuminated in instrument cluster.
The 3 oranges ones on left stay always on (glow plug, ASR, Immotronic)
On the right, once airbag & abs switch off normally, one battery unplug later, not -it stay on.
The battery symbol act normally, switching off once engine started, so 1 or 2 seconds, so battery is seen normal...

What can that be?
I don't know what next to check (VCDS or Multimeter)

Based on Gurux "I just hooked up my battery charger", can this mess reset only if you get 14V?
I am at 12.7, with 2 good batteries just charged in //... (but too far from a plug to hook a battery charger)

My problem is definitely different from Gurux, even he got communication from Instrument cluster (even if title of this topic says the opposite) and Central Module Comfort System, I cannot connect VCDS to these.

I remove the connector to the Central Module Comfort System, the same (except central lock isnt working any more)
I did the same on Klimat Screen; the same.
I remove the Instrument cluster connector, the engine start & stop as always now.

Except I cannot connect to engine ECU without the Instrument cluster connected, so the CAN is passing by it, no?

I suspect the Instrument cluster to be guilty (today the yellow symbols dont illuminate again).
What should I do, is it repairable? difficult to reprogram a replacement one?

Have you checked the connections to the ECU and GCU? Make sure that the locks are pushed fully home. Also you should be using switch cleaner, not WD40.

RAB

Hi Rab,
I dont believe in a bad connection any more, I have unplug and check every possible connector and none where looking oxidated, including ECU and GCU. I can be wrong of course. Maybe a bad relay?
WD40 because I have nothing else for now (tested with perfect result on motorcycle switches exposed to moisture)

ECU, GCU, ABS & Airbag are the only modules VCDS can connect to. VCDS is stable and never report communication errors with these.

The car behaviour is constantly the same, the 3 red coloured screen never lights up, engine always start and then stop.
The 3 yellow symbols (+ green about light) on the left side are the only variable (sometime always on or always off).
When the Central Module Comfort System is connected, the central lock works but never the electric windows.

Inverted relay when possible 2x 373 & 3x 370 with no effect.
Battery unplug twice a full night without effect (except on the 3 yellow symbols)
Tried with the 2 key, no effect.
All fuses checked twice.

Last edited:
Also recheck all connections on the battery for corrosion and tightness. The extra auxiliary positive supply box can become loose from the main positive terminal and the connections inside the box can be loose or corroded.

All fuses checked with a METER AND NOT VISUALLY.

The instrument cluster does not light correctly (no red screen, needle indicator dont move even when engine starts for a second )
But the connection on the battery is good enough for engine to start, change & charge battery twice with no effect

Fuses are OK

Is this in the trunk near the battery? The small black plastic box near positive?
I'll check tomorrow ;)

I've got a solid 12.5V on VCDS (GCU/Mesuring block/02) so I didn't worry about that.

I see Instrument cluster are cheap nowadays, except they are all 1.4TDI:mad:

Yes the black box to the left of the positive terminal. Take it apart and clean all connections and reassemble. Then make sure the connection between the black box and the positive lead is clean and then bolt that up tight.

Back