2005 TDI glow plugs - wrong ones fitted!?

Kennedy

A2OC Donor
I'm a bit confused about what glow plugs I need for the A2 TDI - It's a 2005 75bhp car, BHC engine code.

Frustratingly I took all car details and numbers down to Audi and they couldn't tell me which glow plugs I needed for it :rolleyes:, instead they told me to remove the old ones and check the part number. The ones in the car since I bought it last year are BERU N105 792 02 but a quick call to Euro Car parts and the chap there is telling me these are for engines up to 2003 and that makes me worry that they could be affecting performance or worse.

Knowing that glow plugs can have differing voltages and reading about the damage that can be caused with the wrong ones, can someone give me a definitive answer on this? - buy more of the same or risk changing to a different spec? :confused:

Any help much appreciated.

I think the 75 and 90 have different glow plugs. One is longer than the other if i remember.

I changed a set on my tdi90 years ago and i had to work out the correct ones.

Thanks Paul, yes I'm spending a lot more time than I should checking out something so simple, surely it shouldn't be that hard for a dealership to tell you what you need!

In front of me I now have two sets of plugs, some Bosch and some Denso, both look the same length and thread fitment but . . . and this is the bit I'm stuck on . . . both are listed for BHC engine code but the Bosch which come up for later cars after 2003 are GLP023 rated at 11v, whereas the Denso DG-177 are only 5v.

I'm not fitting either yet, hopefully someone will be along shortly who can clear this up.

Just checked the Bosch e.cat - http://www.bosch-automotive-catalog...hicle-info/-/vehicle/equip/AUD/806?autoLoad=1

and this shows the GLP 023 (0 250 202 023) glowplug is used on BHC and AMF engine models. I have the AMF engine and this definitely uses 11v glowplugs.
I also believed the TDi 90 was the only engine which used the 5v version.

Years ago there was an issue with different glowplug lengths as I bought Audi replacements which were longer than the originals and protruded into the combustion chambers by an extra few mm. Raised the concern with Audi but got no explanation, just said the new p/n was correct

Just found the old thread - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?6662-Replacing-Glow-Plugs&highlight=longer+glowplugs

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Back