What parts do you need to change from one car to another to chip it?

d4v1d sm4rt

A2OC Donor
I have a chipped ECU that I want to swap into a different 1.4 tdi 75 but I am aware that other computers on the car may not talk to it if it is not a recognised pair, so does anyone know what parts need to be changed to upgrade the chip from one car to another? ( and where they are on the car )

Last edited:
I have a chipped ECU that I want to swap into a different 1.4 tdi 75 but I am aware that other computers on the car may not talk to it if it is not a recognise pair, so does anyone know what parts need to be changed to upgrade the chip from one car to another? ( and where they are on the car )

I may be wrong, but also thought that.

Now I have experimented a bit with K Can and VCDS cables I think that the only link you need to worry about is the instrument cluster and immobiliser.

As long as the ECU is from exactly the same engine then it should work.

I don't think any harm can be caused by swapping it over and trying it out, so it might be woirth trying it first.

Steve B

So the immobiliser is in the instrument cluster so presumably you just change the instrument cluster and the ECU

I see no need to change the instrument cluster if you are just trying to get the remapped ECU to work on your car.

The immobiliser is not related to the ECU, it is self contained in the instrument cluster (apart from the receiver in the ignition barrel area.

But since you can get a remap for in the region of £200 (or less if you shop around) is it worth buying that ECU?

I suppose if you are getting it cheap enough or even free, then it is worth a try.

But I would just swap the ECU and see what happens, if it is from the same model of A2 then you should be ok.

Steve B

I have more than one A2 so I can afford to just swap the chipped ECU to the car I want in theory. I didn't want it to not work and lock me out or something. I was so excited that I swapped the ECUs straight away but unfortunately it doesn't work :(
The key light is illuminated and flashing on the dash which seems to mean that there is some immobiliser incompatibility, any ideas what?

Last edited:
The immobiliser needs to be synced to the ECU and clocks and the key must be from original setup or a virgin chip so to speak.

The immobiliser needs to be synced to the ECU and clocks and the key must be from original setup or a virgin chip so to speak.

Yes, that is looking like the cause, do you not have the keys that matched the other ECU?

Steve B

The immobiliser is coded via the instrument cluster when using VCDS hence the "assumption" that I made about it being separate.

But there must be some kind of coding in the ECU to match the instrument cluster, but I have never heard of any way to code the two together.

When you replace the instrument cluster (for a DIS retrofit for example) I believe that all you had to do was to sort out the immobiliser and mileage (coding wise).

So we need some input from an expert!!

Steve B

So you would need both PIN numbers (old ECU and new ECU and instrument cluster) at the very least, plus the VCDS kit.

To get the PINs, you will need a K CAN cable (or access to one) to read the instrument cluster and the ECU codes (PINs).

So if you do not have these cables then you need someone who has.

In short, this is not really a DIY job, you need someone with the kit and experience.

Steve B

i don't know.

So you have a key fir the ECU that yiu are planning to fit?
If so you just need to swap the blade iver. If the remote half of the key is not compatible with your CCCU then swap tgat too.

But i suspect that it eont be that easy but worth s try at least.
Steve B

Back