Information Rear Side Light Dull

joeyquattro

Hi all, I've got a rear side light that is duller than it should be. I replaced the bulb and the new bulb failed. The connections are slightly corroded which maybe makes me think this is the issue.

PaulA2 and I are going to get into it all at some point but does anyone have an idea before we start so we aren't chasing the wrong fault?

Thanks for any help

Joey

Joey,

First of all check that the bulbs are the correct rating, then swap the two over to see if the problem transfers to the other side.
Have you checked your brake lights are both sides working correctly and are they the same brightness?

Steve

The bulb I replaced the old one with is the correct rating. I've not swapped it with the other side. I'll try that.

The brake lights are both working fine by all accounts but again I'll check.

If any of these checks fail, what's the drama likely to be do you think?

Cheers for the help

The bulb I replaced the old one with is the correct rating. I've not swapped it with the other side. I'll try that.

The brake lights are both working fine by all accounts but again I'll check.

If any of these checks fail, what's the drama likely to be do you think?

Cheers for the help

You should be able to get a complete bulbholder unit (just the bulbholder) easily enough.

I can bring a spare one to the next social if you can't get one from eBay.

Steve B

Steve that's very kind of you. When are where is the next meet?

In the mean time I'll get searching on ebay. Thanks for the help guys.

Joey,

Sorry about today mate, massively busy. I have a spare rear light I can loan / use to assist in the diagnosis to confirm if this is the problem. If you are around next weekend give me a shout and I am sure we can sort something.

Cheers Paul

Steve that's very kind of you. When are where is the next meet?

In the mean time I'll get searching on ebay. Thanks for the help guys.

I need to know which side you need, I have one side at the moment and would be happy to send it to you if it is the correct side.

Steve B

Paul, sorry pal I've only just seen your post. No dramas. I'm going to have a butchers tomorrow at cleaning the contacts and possibly the earth to the bulb.

Steve, it's the right side (Off Side). That's very kind of you if you can help me out.

Paul, sorry pal I've only just seen your post. No dramas. I'm going to have a butchers tomorrow at cleaning the contacts and possibly the earth to the bulb.

Steve, it's the right side (Off Side). That's very kind of you if you can help me out.

HI,

I managed to find the bulb holder, to check if it is the right one (I get mixed up between right and left on cars)
Can you tell me if, when you look at the holder with the bulbs pointing away from you, does the top bulb holder point slightly to the right or slightly to the left?

Better still if you can see a part number on yours?

Cheers
Steve B

Steve, all is good. I cleaned the corroded contact and re-tinned it. All is good. I then checked the light cluster inside and realised it was full of water. I took it off and thought I'd try to fix it by separating the reflective plastic from the rest of it, cleaning it up and resealing it. Nope!! Broke it!! Cracked the reflective glass.

PaulA2 is sorting me out this weekend with a new cluster. Thanks for your help and the offer of parts. It's greatly appriciated.

Steve, all is good. I cleaned the corroded contact and re-tinned it. All is good. I then checked the light cluster inside and realised it was full of water. I took it off and thought I'd try to fix it by separating the reflective plastic from the rest of it, cleaning it up and resealing it. Nope!! Broke it!! Cracked the reflective glass.

PaulA2 is sorting me out this weekend with a new cluster. Thanks for your help and the offer of parts. It's greatly appriciated.

Hi Joey,

Sorry to hear that you broke the light cluster, but happy to hear you have a solution.

Steve B

Back