Tdi not turning over......

Ryan

Hi everyone,

It's an 02 tdi with AMF engine, the starter motor and ignition switch have been replaced and still won't turn over.
There are no faults showing on my friends diagnostic, no immobiliser light flashing.
I'm getting 12v at the starter so really pulling my hair out now.

Any help or pointers would be great.

Thanks
Ryan

Have you checked the earth point accessible behind the left headlight? Mine suffered with this and the earth was the problem. Not sure if you'd be showing 12 volts through. Good luck.

Agree. Check the earth point. I had exactly the same issue occur at the last social and there was 12v at the starter - this made us assume the starter was faulty to begin with.

Anyone with a little pause just as the starter first turns over is heading for this scenario. Now the cars are getting on a bit this should be a regular maintenance issue. Now its fixed and the squealing starter fixed the old lass starting better than she has for 5 years.

Thanks again Robin and Sumo.

Hi Rick,
Just checked again and it looks fine,
If I get the missus to hold the key in the starter position while I put my multimeter in the soloniod plug I still get 12v so very frustrating...... I wish I worked harder at school....

Hi Rick,
Just checked again and it looks fine,
If I get the missus to hold the key in the starter position while I put my multimeter in the soloniod plug I still get 12v so very frustrating...... I wish I worked harder at school....

Mine looked fine too but when you remove the bolt the washer was near melted with short circuit burning. New washer a clean up and some copper slip and I'm no betting man - however I think this will sort your problem.

Mind and disconnect the battery!

OOPS posted at the same time murdo

Yes as already posted remove the earth point behind the passenger head light(rhd). We recently at the last social had this same problem with Murdos tdi90 it started fine on the driveway --reversed off and turned off whilst the other A2's formed a line (9 A2's on the drive) Then nothing, so the next day we took it all off and the earth strap was black and the washer behind the strap was burnt away. One new washer and a rub with abrasive cloth then copper grease and all is well.
cheers mike

Looks like the little one going in the high chair whilst dad gets to work yet again.
Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge, I'll post back shortly with my results...

Looks like the little one going in the high chair whilst dad gets to work yet again.
Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge, I'll post back shortly with my results...

IF you have a set of jump leads you can use oneto give the staret motor a better earth, just to try it to see if the earth is the problem.

Just clip one end to the starter body (or bolt) and the other end to a solid metal part of the subframe.
If that works then it is your earth, if it doesn't then your earth is fine.

Steve B

Well well well...
What looked like a ok earth bolt turned out to completely Donald ducked,
10 mins cleaning a bit of cooper grease and BINGO.

Thanks to everyone again.

Back