How do I get my pepper pot hub-caps off?

KneesUp

A2OC Donor
Silly question perhaps, but I have some pepper pots on my A2, with the usual flat centre hub covers, which have a wee hole in them, for some reason.

I need to remove the caps to change the wheels, and can't see how to get the caps off.

Sticking something in the hole doesn't remove them. And putting a screw driver along the edge of the cap to twist and snap them off looks lethal and damaging.

Clearly, I am missing a trick.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks. Richard

Silly question perhaps, but I have some pepper pots on my A2, with the usual flat centre hub covers, which have a wee hole in them, for some reason.

I need to remove the caps to change the wheels, and can't see how to get the caps off.

Sticking something in the hole doesn't remove them. And putting a screw driver along the edge of the cap to twist and snap them off looks lethal and damaging.

Clearly, I am missing a trick.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks. Richard

Do you not have the special ring with a hook? It should be in the toolkit in the battery compartment. It just has a very small bend at the "hook end" but that is enough to prevent it from pulling out when you pull the ring.

Steve B

Thanks Steve. The wheels weren't standard with my car, but I'll have a look now. Presumably I stick that thing through the hole and tug…?
\

I'm sure there's a pukka tool for this but I've always removed the caps on my 17 inch wheels with a bit of a wire coat hanger fashioned into a small hook at the end. Quite a flat hook. More an L than a U if that makes sense.

Works a treat and no damage to any surfaces.

edit. You can't beat a Birchall! School day. Had no idea there was a tool for this. Clearly mines always been missing

Here's the official Audi removal tool for the wheel centres:

Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 19.38.12.png

Back