Tightening the door hinge bolts

Hi,

On several of the A2s I have owned I have felt the door drop ever so slightly upon opening and a bit clunky when closing (not as bad as the "check-strap clunk".

When I examined the hinges it has always been due to loose hinge bolts.

BUT the bolts that are in the door side of the hinge are difficult to tighten because you cannot fit a splined bit and socket wrench in the gap.
The lower hinges are slightly more tricky because you have to move the foam out of the hinge suround just to get to the bolts.
My wife's A2 has just had the bolts come loose so I thought I would capture some pictures

You have two options.
The ideal one is to use a ring spanner and the spline bit together, you can tighten the bolts up easily enough with that as below
ring spanner.jpg

If you don't have the right sized ring spanner, then you can use mole-grips as below but this is more bulky and can scratch the paintwork.
The grips should not slip either, if you tighten them up well.
Molegrips 2.JPGmolegrips.JPG

Steve B

Last edited:
Mine was a size 40 and that fitted closely enough to not do any damage, but I can't be sure of the correct size and type, (Paging Spike!!!)

Steve B

It's best with a ratchet ring spanner, then you don't have to keep taking the spline bit out of the bolt to turn it round. It also reduces the chance of dropping the spline bit into the hole and it falling inside the door so the you have to take the door panel off to retrieve it - (don't ask me how I know !!!)

It's best with a ratchet ring spanner, then you don't have to keep taking the spline bit out of the bolt to turn it round. It also reduces the chance of dropping the spline bit into the hole and it falling inside the door so the you have to take the door panel off to retrieve it - (don't ask me how I know !!!)

Yes, the ratchet spanner is perfect for this, but not many people have a full set of ratchet spanners.

Great tip though, thanks
Steve B

My door as dropped also ( drivers door ), mine as the metal fatigue tear, got in touch with audi had it looked at by local dealer. Didn't want to know as they are not honouring anti corrosion warranty now, and I reported it 3 months before my 12 year warranty they replied cant help not doing these repairs anymore.

Last edited:
I have just completed this job.

It is a Torx 45, the top is obvious, the bottom, pull the foam out with a pair of pliers, you have to find the bolt head blindly, then tighten.

I used this;

Attachments

• P1020346.JPG
    P1020346.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 23
Back