Comparisons between Audi A2 and BMW i3 - AutoVolt May-June 2015

jonbad

New issue of AutoVolt (a UK electric and hybrid car mag) has an article looking at the similarities between the Audi A2 and BMW i3 plus near the back is a brief buying guide too.

http://www.autovolt-magazine.com/may-june-autovolt-magazine-now-available/

AutoVolt-May-Jun-2015-Cover.jpg
BMW-i3-Audi-A2.jpg
Audi-A2-buying-guide.jpg

Not come across this magazine before. Is it just available as a download or can it be purchased as an old fashioned paper copy?!

Not come across this magazine before. Is it just available as a download or can it be purchased as an old fashioned paper copy?!

It is mainly digital, available on Magzter and Readly but there is a print-on-demand service, although it is kinda pricey, but that is because a one-off print of a 100 page magazine is understandably expensive.

In contrast, I love the look of the i3 - although it's quite colour-sensitive how good it looks. I'd happily have an i3.

There is a campaign running to try Readly two months for free through a Swedish operator. It's all in swedish, but I guess you can find a way to understand it with Google translate.
https://www.tre.se/privat/kundservice/abonnemang-faktura/tjanster/Readly/

edit: AutoVolt doesn't seem to be available on swedish readly. Let's hope you UK guys are more lucky.
edit2: it is, but you have to navigate to it through the browser to find AutoVolt. Strange.

Last edited:
There is a campaign running to try Readly two months for free through a Swedish operator. It's all in swedish, but I guess you can find a way to understand it with Google translate.
https://www.tre.se/privat/kundservice/abonnemang-faktura/tjanster/Readly/

edit: AutoVolt doesn't seem to be available on swedish readly. Let's hope you UK guys are more lucky.
edit2: it is, but you have to navigate to it through the browser to find AutoVolt. Strange.

AutoVolt is listed under "United Kingdom" and "automotive" - which can be accessed from any Readly subscription, you just have to look in the settings where you can choose country filters as well as subjects.

In the UK, Readly is free for the first month - or there is a 2 week free trial, so no need for Swedish translation :)

https://gb.readly.com/accounts/sign_up

EDIT: Oh and I love the i3 - it is both brave and different, much like the A2!

View attachment 19432

I'd rather the i8, beautiful car

The i8 is great, but in many ways the i3 is better value for money. Sure, the i8 might best the i3 in terms of performance and its sleek lines, but I'd guess that both draw as much attention as each other (if you like that sort of thing) and both are constructed in a similar manner too. The i3 gives you more bang for your buck although granted the two are totally different cars in respect of their target market. If I had the money, I'd genuinely opt for the i3 over the i8… maybe I'm mad?

The i8 is great, but in many ways the i3 is better value for money. Sure, the i8 might best the i3 in terms of performance and its sleek lines, but I'd guess that both draw as much attention as each other (if you like that sort of thing) and both are constructed in a similar manner too. The i3 gives you more bang for your buck although granted the two are totally different cars in respect of their target market. If I had the money, I'd genuinely opt for the i3 over the i8… maybe I'm mad?

Not mad but sensible, the I8 only does 29-30 mpg with 357bhp and top speed of 155mph and a stupidly high price. Totally opposite to the i3 .

I'm lucky enough to have an i8 for a week at the moment… yesterday did 250 miles with the occasional happy right foot and achieved an average mpg of 49. It isn't anywhere near as inefficient as some would have you believe. Electric only journeys this morning has already improved that figure too. it really does depend upon how you drive the car as to how it will reward you with efficiency. That said, a £100K car isn't likely to be bought by someone wanting to watch what they spend on fuel! Would still go for the i3, but the i8 sure is a whole lot of fun!

I had an i3 for two days last week and I have to say I loved it - an amazing vehicle. I could really see myself owning one. Really quiet and smooth, extremely rapid and fun to drive, funky looks, and well, it's just something completely different isn't it.

I really like the i3, now if Audi bring out something similar i would be very interested in buying one!

It would need to have similar appeal & character as the A2 though...

Back