Removing fuel flap assembly

Rickvan

A2OC Donor
I finally got round to replacing my fuel flap assembly today, as my original flap would fall on the floor every time I opened it.:)

I couldn't find any info on how to do it, so I thought I'd post a couple of pointers.

Once I'd undone the screw that's visible once you open the flap, I then gave the inner filler assembly a gentle wiggle with some pliers like this (apologies for image being rotated):
image.jpg
I could then manhandle the whole assembly out of the car, the only thing I had to do mid way through removal was pull out the little drain pipe in the bottom of the inner filler. Make sure you don't lose the pipe down inside the inner wing!

Fitting the replacement was the reverse of above. I had to resort to sitting the drain pipe fitting on the new assembly in some boiling water before I could persuade the drain pipe into it. Another pair of hands would have been good at this point, to hold the filler assembly whilst I wrangled the drain pipe in. The rest of the reassembly was straight forward, and I now don't have to catch the flap before it hits the deck every time I fill up!

Hi Rick,

Very helpful thanks.

I have added a link to this on the "how to" section.

Steve B

Back