Water Temp Light is on Dash and no heat in car

Draggon

A2OC Donor
Hi All, hope you can help with a very vague description.

The water temp light comes on the dash and 'bongs and flashes' (my wifes words) and there is no tempaerature from the car heater inside. When turned up high the car does not blow warm air in cab.
However the coolant has been topped up last night and the actual car temp guage does not increase.

Any thought?

Sorry to be a pain nothing came back from my searcehes of the site.

Hi All, hope you can help with a very vague description.

The water temp light comes on the dash and 'bongs and flashes' (my wifes words) and there is no tempaerature from the car heater inside. When turned up high the car does not blow warm air in cab.
However the coolant has been topped up last night and the actual car temp guage does not increase.

Any thought?

Sorry to be a pain nothing came back from my searcehes of the site.

When you topped it up did it take much to fill it?
If it did then you may have an air lock. Take the bonnet off, remove the coolant filler cap (not when the engine is hot.).
Then too it up and leave the cap off. Ml rave it ticking over for 10 minutes approx. that should bleed the system. You may need to top it up to the High mark a couple of times.

Steve B

Thanks Steve, I topped up the coolant with 1ltr (did this on Wednesday night as well) let it run for about 10 mins ish, light came on again and bonged/flashed etc Got home and the looked at the filler bottle and where i filled it to the max line it was now back down to the bottom of the tank near the small pipe.....so coolant is going somehwere but dry around filler tank?!

Defintly no heat at all inside the car and I turned it up to high and blasted it and just very cold air came through.

Car runs fine though, and car sits at 90 degs easily.

Im stumped but me thinks it has to go in garage...if I can get it there.

Do you have anyone local that could do a scan for error codes now?

The temperature sender may have failed (a common fault). Even though it reads fine on the temp gauge there is a second circuit in the sender that send the temperature to the ECU etc.

if if the temperature sender fails the heater may not blow hot because it "waits" until it is up to temperature. So a failed sender could cause this too.

The he sender is not expensive and well worth doing. But a scan could confirm it.

Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks again Steve, Yeah we have a good local garage ....just got to see if I can fit the car in asap.
Im still wondering where the water is going...must be a leak somewhere....just ******ed if I can find it :(

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve as for a water leak the prime places are the small water pipes going through the bulkhead supplying the heater matrix. But also check the back of the engine as there is a large plastic tube about 50mm diameter-this runs fro the back of the water pump to the big plastic thermostat housing. This large pipe is prone to splitting and can cause engine failure if your not careful due to almost total loss of fluid (I have an fsi with that issue I bought for spares). It could also be the water pump leaking I had that two years ago with a genuine Audi pump at three years old! No noise just leaked.
Hope that helps mike

Cheers Mike, yeah makes sense, Ive collected all the info from different threads on here so hopefully garage will be able to spot it.
I cannot see any leaks from the front but a few of the pipes have red/pink residue around joins etc and I cannot see around the back of the block so maybe there.
Think I will let the experts take a look....but the info on here will definitley help :)

Thanks
Steve

ouch £400.....hope its cheaper than that....but hay ho.....we have not had many issues for a while.
as long as the engine is ok....i will be happy....ish!

Thought I would post an update for anyone interested :) (would have done it earlier last week but work got in the way)
It went in to garage on Monday morning, was out the same day :)

New water pump (it was leaking badly) and cambelt change of course = £440 EEEEKKKK

But car runs great and no water leak....and good for a few more years I hope.
Cheers for all the advice peeps.

Steve

Hi Glad you got is sorted (a bit expensive by the sound of it) but peace of mind for a long time now hopefully.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what the problem was, that is very helpful.

Steve B

Another quick update:

Also had to go back in last week as still a slight leak......it was the thermostat housing etc.

Now keeping an eye on it daily to enmsure no more loss.

So all in all £740 spent :( (but that does include the driver dorr check strap repair too)

Back