Wooden steering wheel ?.

Dave M

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
I really like the MFSW and its becoming a popular mod - long may it continue. I think it was Steve that mentioned its worthwhile doing because its the most apparant thing in view when you sit in your car.

Having a tight budget i couldn,t quite stretch to buying one and considered another alternative. I thought, "how,s about an old skool classic approach", and sourced an original A2 wooden steering wheel which would match with the platinum leather. This would sort of give it a classic car feel.

wooden wheel 001.JPG

wooden wheel 003.JPG

I don,t know if this works and appreciate feedback either negative or positive. At first i didn,t think it would look right but it,s growing sort of on me.

Ta
Dave
:)

Last edited:
I really like the MFSW and its becoming a popular mod - long may it continue. I think it was Steve that mentioned its worthwhile doing because its the most apparant thing in view when you sit in your car.

Having a tight budget i couldn,t quite stretch to buying one and considered another alternative. I thought, "how,s about an old skool classic approach", and sourced an original A2 wooden steering wheel which would match with the platinum leather. This would sort of give it a classic car feel.

View attachment 19619

View attachment 19620

I don,t know if this works and appreciate feedback either negative or positive. At first i didn,t think it would look right but it,s growing sort of on me.

Ta
Dave

Dave that's a great looking wheel, I never realised Audi even did this, really compliments the platinum leather and vice versa,
I must also say your seats are in superb condition, nice contrast against the black interior and dash!
Cheers jeff

Thankyou Jeff - i didn,t know they made one either. I bought it off a German website so it may only have been available on German models as an added extra ?. Also these wheels were "shared" with the A3, A4, A6 etc so it may have been donated from one of those cars. I think we share a mutual appreciation of platinum leather - top colour !.
Ta
Dave

Last edited:

View attachment 19619

View attachment 19620

Ta
Dave

If we all stuck to the traditional trim and options we wouldn't have the huge variety of A2s that we have, so give it a go, some people will hate it some will love it, but it all depends on what YOU think.

Steve B

Nice wheel!

In my FSI the steeringwheel is a combination of (Maple)wood and Black leather; http://a2fsi.vanwijk.eu It's a 8Z0 part, which originaly can from an A6 I believe.

In my Tdi90 I just changed the black leather MFSW for an Audi MFSW in Aztec Yellow leather; http://a2tdi.vanwijk.eu

Hi Louis
That's a great pair of A2's you have and I do love the yellow wheel and gearstick,, I would have considered a platinum 4 spoke for mine but cannot seem to source one, also is that a cd holder at the base of the centre consul or a cd changer!
Great scenery there too, I would like to bring my A2 over for a road trip some time!
Cheers Jeff

Hi Louis
I would have considered a platinum 4 spoke for mine but cannot seem to source one,
Cheers Jeff

I obtained exactly that from Ebay, Germany. They do seem to come up more often on the German site. I hadn't realised that it was "Platinum" leather until Tom (Timmus) pointed out that for my interior, the wheel should have been in

"Twist". It is a subtle difference and also means that the wheel doesn't quite match the gear-lever knob/gaiter, or the dash. I'll live with it, though!

David

So do we think David that they never made a platinum coloured steering wheel for the UK market and that they are all either "twist" or "jive beige?". Ive never been able to work out why the red leather interior came with the matching steering wheel, gear knob and door cards whilst the platinum didn,t ?.
Ta
Dave

I think that I'm getting a bit confused here .... My dash is beige colour ( is that "jive" or "twist"? ) Well, whatever it is, then the steering wheel/gear knob/gaiter should also be in that same colour. My steering wheel is in a lighter

grey. Maybe it isn't from an Audi A2, and comes from an Audi A3?

David

I think that "jive" is a slightly darker beige - almost a light brownie greeny colour - your beige coloured dash will probably be "twist".
Ta
Dave

Great to see you again Dave, must admit I like the wheel, kind of reminds me of this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439155746.972004.jpg
Now all we need to do is rename the tank to the SS Yorkshire 90

replace the handle over teh glovebox with something solid. You could possibly also veneer it, maybe. I personally prefer solid wood.

- Bret

Special edition your car looks great- I tried to get a shot of it but I ended up taking a reflection ! You have one very special A2 there it looks very classy- I would not change anything inside or out (ok maybe add 17's)
cheers Mike

Back