Knowledge on the Volkswagen transporter 5

scott

A2OC Donor
Iv been out of work for three months now and Iv just got a new job :) so this means plans to get a vwt5 for me and my two boys (6 and 4 years old) to turn into a camper is back on :) (keeping my a2 of course) I know everything their is to know about turning one into a camper but the only thing I haven't really looked into very much is engines. The van I will buy has to be long wheel base and have air con and as close to. 100,000 Miles on the clock as Possible age isn't important to me but I will be looking for the best condition I can get obviously. I thought I'd ask on here incase anyone might know what the best engine to go for is. All I want is good mpg and reliability. and what should I look out for when I eventually start going to commit to buying one?

I'm hoping to buy one at the latest November time!

I will sometime join the vw t owners club but looking on there it not such a simply lay out as our a2 owners club!

Thanks for any help and advice

Scott,

I have converted a couple of these and by far the best engine is the 1.9. The 2.5's are thirsty and unreliable in comparison. Plus the 1.9 with a remap is great. Again with the later face lifted ones the 140 is much more reliable then the bi turbo 180.
The T5 forum is a good resource of info but can get a little bitchy / snobby but that's just my view. I've got a split at them moment which is like driving a tractor compared to a sorted T5

Thank you for the info, I love the splits but they are way to expensive :( also they don't seem as warm and obviously not as reliable but I would love one if I could afford one! The face lift t5.1 are to expensive as well. I'm hoping by the time I come to buy one the t6 will be out and it will drop the price on the older vans a bit :)

Thanks,

Thank you that's very helpful. Doing a few searches it's saying what you guys are saying and that the 2.5 should be avoided.
Also maybe a silly question but can aircon be fitted to a non aircon van? Or is it too big a job?

The van will be very much like the a2 to us we will keep it forever keep adding and modifying it :)

Last edited:
Air con would be a huge task to retrofit. If you find a good T5 which doesn't have it, just make sure you have rear opening side windows fitted instead of fixed. That way you can still get good ventilation to the rear of the bus

I finally got it :)

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's a 1.9tdi 2006 reg with 103000 miles on the clock, it is lwb with tailgate and aircon:) tho the aircon isn't working at the moment so I'll have to look in to that, it's got a years mot and just had a service and cambelt. Me and my boys are looking forward to turning it in to a full camper over the next year or two :)
Iv wanted one of these for so long but I'm so glad i never traded my a2 in for it! Even tho the a2 as 106000 on the clock it's still such a nice car! :) Iv just got to try and get multi car insurance on them both if possible as my insurance on the a2 will be renewed next month!

Congrats Scott. That would be my ideal driveway buddy for my A2 but my head ruled over my heart and we bought a A4 avant instead. I hope you stick around this club because I know there is a good following for the vans.

Would just like to say +1 for the 1.9 TDI. Had a 2005 Passat before. I guess it's pretty much the same engine. Very reliable, cheap to run and had some punch.
Oh how nice if it would fit in the A2 :)

Would just like to say +1 for the 1.9 TDI. Had a 2005 Passat before. I guess it's pretty much the same engine. Very reliable, cheap to run and had some punch.
it is in there already, but with a cylinder missing, so it seems to be doable, I am sure someone has tried!

It would be as much power/torque as you would want in a usable light FWD car (apart from on the track of course)

Steve B

it does. Ask paulds65 on the de / nl forum.

- Bret

I need some advice. The excitement of the van has worn off does anybody know what writes I have. I bought the van from a garage called van work Sussex they are a garage and they sell quite a few vans I paid 10,500 for the van and today is the first time I've actually seen it in daylight (let my heart rule my head on This one!) and I havnt started it since buying it Wednesday as I've been working. today I have noticed it's leaking oil quite badly all over the drive the power steering is really noisy I'd say louder than the engine the ASR button doesn't work the Aircon doesn't work it's been hit up the back and not repaired very well as there is a gap between the boot and the floor which could obviously let harmful gases into the van but this isn't too much of a problem as I can fix this at work. The slip he gave me says no warranty on the van but do I have any rights with either getting my money back or mate having him refund me something to have it repaired or him repair it? Gutted really.

Thanks

Scott

Last edited:
I may stand corrected but i do believe it is an offence to sell an unroadworthy vehicle. The van appears to fall into this category and as such you are quite entitled to ask for your money back. Ive been in this situation and its not good. :(

But is it classed as un road worthy? I don't really want my money back id rather him fix it or defund me enough to have it fixed. Is there not a new law now that you can return pretty much anything now in a certain period?

Its unroadworthy because of the possibilty of exhaust gases escaping into the interior of the van. I,d class that as more of a extreme danger to your health !. If you really wish to keep it i would speak with the seller and try to come to some agreement re the cost of repairs.

Get posting on the vw t4 forum, somebody will have had experience of them one way or another, and if they're on there it may compel them to sort your problems out. Are you a member on the t4 forum ?

No, I'll sign up tomorrow and ask.

Thanks

Sorry to hear this isn't the pleasure it looked on first read Scott. Looks a lovely big motor in the photos. I agree with Lachlan that some potential damage to reputation could be in your favour if the business frequents a forum. gentle but firm and persistent will be the key here. If it's leaning oil and has other faults you may be able to argue it's not of merchantable quality. Might be worth searching the net for information on this legislation and how it's applied to used motors. Good luck.

Back