Audi A2 1.2 tdi, opinions

steleo85

A2OC Donor
Hi A2OC members,

I have just joined to ask on for everyone's opinion on the European 1.2tdi that I want to purchase. Either from here in the UK or from Germany.

Do they come with Air Conditioning and is the performance dangerously bad?

Also any advice on importing and things to watch out for?

I think there was a trim option of climate control with the 1.2TDi in Germany yes.
Dangerously slow? No. The car is very light and the engine still has a lot of torque, so it'll waft along ok. (in fact it's actually got a higher top speed than the standard 1.4TDi due to the better aerodynamics!)

Hi A2OC members,

I have just joined to ask on for everyone's opinion on the European 1.2tdi that I want to purchase. Either from here in the UK or from Germany.

Do they come with Air Conditioning and is the performance dangerously bad?

Also any advice on importing and things to watch out for?

I can send you my map if you want to, you'll reach some where around 90bhp with it :) Takes of like a bloody rocket compared to a stock 1.2TDI.
And no, they don't all come with AC or power steering, and those are the two things that are the hardest to retrofit (the cost is insane).

As far as I know, there are 1.2 TDIs with at least ACC, perhaps also power steering. If it is the 3L version, then the above is correct. No power steering and no ACC.

Two versions of the car were available in Germany during its production run. The D4 version, which used only 3 l/100 km (94 mpg-imp; 78 mpg-US), was "standard." It had no power steering, climate control or other extras, with the only optional extra being body coloured door handles and wing mirrors. There were no optional extras because optional equipment adds weight and loses economy.[22] It had a fixed rear seat cushion. The tested fuel economy was 2.88 l/100 km.

The second version, which was at least available in Germany, was a D3 version which was still capable of 3.0 l/100 km. This version had options for climate control, a winter pack, and a comfort pack, but was not available in all markets. Ordering these packs ensured power steering or spot lamps as part of a package. The OSS system was not available at all on the 3L.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A2#1.2_TDI_.223L.22

The 'hair shirt' version is very, very rare. I don't think that I've ever seen one for sale!

RAB

Hi A2OC members,

They were never sold in the UK and I recall about 3 or 4 people, maybe 6 people, have imported them (Lucus was one and seem the font of all knowledge on the 1.2. I'm sure he will be along soon ;) ). So they will all be LHD. I can't see those people easily giving them up.

In order to register them they had to change the speedo to mph and maybe more. There are various threads on here about their experience. Also, as they were never officially sold here then dealers have no experience of servicing them, at least the bits that are unique to the 1.2.

PS I'm still kicking myself for not buying the one for sale in Sweden recently. I recall it was about £5k and only had 8K miles on the clock!

Last edited:
They would at least have to change the headlights aswell.
There are quite a lot of 1.2s here in Sweden. Has anyone put a 6 speed box in a remapped 1.2 yet?

They would at least have to change the headlights aswell.
There are quite a lot of 1.2s here in Sweden. Has anyone put a 6 speed box in a remapped 1.2 yet?

Changing gearbox means removing the robot and puting in a stick (manual gearshifting). All that's a lot of hazzle and expensive, and as long as you're not changing the turbo and injectors there is really no point.

If you can find one buy it! Only about 6000 made. Far more VW Mupo 3L with same engine/gbox etc.

The CEO of #riversimple has an A2 1,2TDI which has managed far higher than 100 mpg imp in gentle driving.

Yes it can cruise all day on the autobahn/ where legal at 100mph and still get very good mpg.

The only issue is keeping on top of the hydraulics for the gearbox. Otherwise it's very reliable.

Wouldn't want a bigger engine - this one weighs in at just 100kg and the modern cars are now going for smaller units with turbocharging like the petrol VW 1.0 in new Bluemotion Polo / Golf.

Back