A wearingly tyring question...

YorkshireHill

A2OC Donor
Eventually changed from winter tyres (long story on the wheel refurbishment and not due to Yorkshire weather)

When I had the summer tyres put back found that two of them had severe wear on the inside so had to be replaced. As the wheels already off the car don't know which at position they were.

Set of Sport 17in with the summer tyres had all been replaced at the same time one year before and had travelled around 10000 miles on my old FSI.

How long is it likely to have taken to cause significant wear? Thousands of miles?

Only reason that I'm spending time pondering this is that these tyres spent one month on my new TDI before they were switched over to the winters.

Any thoughts? And should I get tracking checked?

Hilary

And should I get tracking checked?

Hilary

Definitely,

Several of the A2s I have owned have badly worn the front tyres on the inside.

Most tyre companies will do a free tracking check, but I would bet that yours are out of line.

Steve B

I had some uneven tyre wear that was the result of a failing front spring

It would tend to be the fronts that wear unevenly, and they wear on the inside edge.

A possible cause is too much toe-out. Toe-out on front wheel drive cars is set so that the wheels are not parallel when static but when in motion, any slack in the steering system is taken up so that the wheels run in parallel. If the toe-out is excessive, the wheels will not be parallel in motion and the inside edges get hot, the rubber softens and they wear more than the remainder of the tyre.

Both our Lupo 3L's had this problem, mine from new, due to VW's over-pessimistic estimate of the amount of slack in their steering. Eventually cured by reducing toe-out. Having the steering checked against the recommended settings may not help.

RAB

Thank you

As the problem didn't occur when the tyres were on the previous car, it's possible that it could have been caused by the steering on the tdi as the tyres were in place for 1000 miles?

Will get the tracking checked anyway this week

Hilary

Tracking checked today and very worthwhile as it was significantly out. All corrected now and hopefully the winter tyres haven't worn to the same extent.

Mechanic drove it off the ramp and commented on the condition of the handbrake...

Oh no .. Not again!

Booked into Aldersons for Monday

There used to be a "three click" rule Hilary but i,m not sure if that still applies (handbrake joke). Hopefully it will be a simple adjustment and not cost too many pennies !.
Ta
Dave
:)

Tracking checked today and very worthwhile as it was significantly out. All corrected now and hopefully the winter tyres haven't worn to the same extent.

Mechanic drove it off the ramp and commented on the condition of the handbrake...

Oh no .. Not again!

Booked into Aldersons for Monday

The best way to use the handbrake on an A2 is to pull it on as hard as you can and then try another click (at least).

In your case I would suggest that you pull up at the top of a very steep hill (not difficult for you to find one of those)

Pull the handbrake on without using a lot of force and then take your foot off the brake momentarily, to see if it rolls.
Then pull the handbrake harder and see if it still rolls. and so on.

I bet you will be surprised just how hard you have to pull it on before the car will not roll.

Steve B

Back