Have you experienced any significant lacquer peel on your A2? Or seen examples?

Have you seen an A2 with significnt lacquer peel?

• Total voters

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
I have seen so many red A2s that have noticeable lacquer peel, it would be good to try and get some figures together of just how common this is and see if there is anything we could do about it (I doubt that but no harm in trying)

There are five options to choose from please select the ones that are most relevant

Thanks
Steve B

Last edited:
Nice work Steve, lets hope the collective can help those who are in this unfortunate position.

Is this an "actually seen" poll or can it apply to those seen for sale in the classifieds ?. :)

Just for the record I had peel on the roof strips (plastic bits) on my old cobalt blue tdi!

Yes me too. I'd imagine this will be commonplace with the lacquer degrading on the plastic strips. They're now repaired and I've 2 spares for future contingency ( thanks A2steve) as they are 214 pound each from Audi.

Azure blue in my opinion is the main culprit. Usually tops of doors and along the areas where the rubber trim on the glass is fitted. cheers mikee

Is this an "actually seen" poll or can it apply to those seen for sale in the classifieds ?. :)
Seen for sale is fine. It is to gauge the numbers. It is never an exact science and if three people saw the same advert it skews the numbers a little. But we just want a feel for the size and scope of the problem.

Steve B

The poor guy will think he's bound to sell it with all the interest we're giving it :)

"...can easily be sorted at any body shop" but at what cost is the issue and I bet there will be other areas ready to start peeling as well.

The poor guy will think he's bound to sell it with all the interest we're giving it :)

"...can easily be sorted at any body shop" but at what cost is the issue and I bet there will be other areas ready to start peeling as well.

When I start to peel, I always find Camomile lotion sorts it out, I wonder if that would help with this?

Steve B

When I start to peel, I always find Camomile lotion sorts it out, I wonder if that would help with this?

Steve B

Now you're starting to worry me, you put Camomile lotion on your peeling? I usually drink that and put Calomine lotion on instead :) Both showing our ages now!

Now you're starting to worry me, you put Camomile lotion on your peeling? I usually drink that and put Calomine lotion on instead :) Both showing our ages now!

Yes, I wonder why it wasn't working and my special tea tastes strange?

Steve B

Honestly? Close to zero.

The strange bit is I've not seen many examples of this on the German forum at all. Isolated ones - mainly red cars - but nothing else. And we're now well out of 12 years paint guarantee, so I'd expect nothing from them, also because you can't prove at all why some cars have peeled and not others.

Looking at this, though, I'd say that car care is probably a factor, whether the car is washed and waxed correctly on a regular basis or not, and that Red has a significantly higher tendency to lose lacquer, with or without neglect contributing.

Many of the serious mile munchers over on the German forum are fine - one particular 450000km silver car I know is washed maybe twice a year but has no peel. Another is very much looked after but had issues with the headlight plastics discolouring with age and had a lacquer issue on the bonnet. That one is red. I suspect that Ultraviolet radiation is much of the answer. If so, then, in France and Italy, red A2s should be peeling all over the place...

- Bret

Hi guys

yes, I have noticed a little bit on my black one.
WP_20150713_17_37_19.jpg

What can be done?
Cheers

None on mine that I've noticed. Azure Blue.

I stand corrected. Small amount of peel on edge of roof next to OSS above driver's door. I noticed when cleaning it today.

I may have upset the voting system as I don't seem to be able to change my vote. :eek:

Back