Chat Hellppppp engine light on within 3 days of purchase!!!!!!!

katiemay

Hey guys,
im extremley upset, i just baught an audi a2 2001 1.4 3 days ago from a car shop, payed £2000 cash and today my engine light has come on.
so i took it to a garage to do a diagnostic and it come up P1151??? what does this mean?????
i rung the car place becuase i have 3 months warranty but i dont know what to do? do i get my money back or is this a small problem to get fixed?
also my ABS light kept coming off and on so im just extremely worrid as i have a baby aswell

can i still drive with this untill monday?
im not a car person so i dont know about cars i jsut want to know if this is dangerous?

please help mee!!!

:confused::confused::mad::mad:

Hey guys,
im extremley upset, i just baught an audi a2 2001 1.4 3 days ago from a car shop, payed £2000 cash and today my engine light has come on.
so i took it to a garage to do a diagnostic and it come up P1151??? what does this mean?????
i rung the car place becuase i have 3 months warranty but i dont know what to do? do i get my money back or is this a small problem to get fixed?
also my ABS light kept coming off and on so im just extremely worrid as i have a baby aswell

can i still drive with this untill monday?
im not a car person so i dont know about cars i jsut want to know if this is dangerous?

please help mee!!!

:confused::confused::mad::mad:

If you are in Hayes Middlesex, I could pop over Sunday morning and scan it for you and try to help establish the real cause.
Or if you prefer, you could bring it over to me (Staines)
When you say the ABS light keeps coming off, It is meant to be off, do you mean it is coming on occasionally.

But don can help I am sure.

The error code is not really one that has a specific cause.

Possible causes are
Intake System faulty/leaking
Fuel Pressure, Fuel Pressure Regulator and Fuel Pump faulty
Fuel Injectors faulty/leaking
Exhaust System faulty/leaking
Activated-Charcoal Filter/System faulty/leaking
Secondary Air Injection System faulty/leaking
Lambda/Oxygen Sensor(s) before Catalytic Converter faulty
Lambda/Oxygen Sensor(s) after Catalytic Converter faulty
So a check over is best.
Your first step should be to contact the person you bought it from, but if you would rather have a second opinion I can help/

Steve B

Last edited:
Hello katie,

Sorry to hear that that your first thread is as a result of a problem and welcome to a friendly club. Code 01151 relates to a diesel engine safety switch. A little bit of research shows it to be an exhaust pressure control valve which is stuck open, (i take it that your car is a diesel ?). This appears to be an easy fix and will just require a "clean" and lubrication to fix.

The ABS light is a little bit more concerning and i would get it diagnosed as soon as possible. I would not condone driving it until you have you have had it plugged into a diagnostic device. It could be a simple matter of replacing an ABS sensor which is a cheap repair.

Ta
Dave
:)

And on a side note, if it comes to dealing with the seller they may try to fob you off that the warranty only covers major component failure. Don't be worried if they try to pull that one, you have far more rights than you may think you have, including rejecting the sale completely for a reasonable time after.

Hopefully they will do the right thing and sort your problems out efficiently but I would certainly take Steve (Birchall) up on his offer so at least you have some knowledge for when you go back to the dealer.

im working sunday morning unfortunatly,

am i still able to drive the car with these lights on?

so when i turn the car on it says its ok and then i start driving and the ABS light comes on with another trangle light with an arrow around it and then a red warning light in the middle of the dash board.

its come on twice now and stays on untill i turn the car off

this is really upsetting as i just baught the car and all of these problems are happening and i dont know what it is

Sorry Steve - Ive refered to the "U281" handbook which is not quite as indepth as your diagnostics.
Ta
Dave:)

they have emailed me the warrenty and they wont fob me off as i will involve the police coz i havnt had the car longer then a week, told me theyd fix the problem i just want to know if it is any of them would it be linked to the ABS light aswell?

should i just get my money back?
am i okay to drive untill monday?

I think that may be a better way forward - a great offer by the way - nice gesture Steve !. :)

With a suspected brake problem I am afraid that nobody would say that it would be safe to drive, however safe we might THINK it would be.

I can come over late afternoon tomorrow if that will help, I would not want you to risk anything.

Steve B

what time sunday morning can you come?
is this a free service? lol
i start work at 8.30?

am i able to drive the car to work??

It certainly is a free service, perhaps it would be better tomorrow late afternoon early evening?

Would that work for you.

I could bring my wife as a chaperone if you are uncomfortable at all!

Steve B

With a suspected brake problem I am afraid that nobody would say that it would be safe to drive, however safe we might THINK it would be.

I can come over late afternoon tomorrow if that will help, I would not want you to risk anything.

Steve B

the brakes feel fine to me
it vibrates abit when i brake?
i finish work at 5pm can you come after that??

early evening is fine as i finish work at 5pm

you dont have to bring your wife but you can if you want, my husband will be here lol
i dont feel uncomfortable at all i just want to know whats wrong with the car

ive got the reciept from the car diagnostic from where i took it to the garage earlier aswell

just hope you can tell me whats wrong lol

the brakes feel fine to me
it vibrates abit when i brake?
i finish work at 5pm can you come after that??

I sure can. You can send me a "Private message" from this forum with your address, but if you are not sure how to do that just email me on [email protected]

If you are braking very hard then the vibration would be the ABS operating (is very rapidly applies the brakes and then releases them for a split second) but you would have to be braking very hard to get the ABS to kick in.

Steve B

no im not breaking that hard with a baby in the car

do you think its linked to the engine light?
im going to email you now

they have emailed me the warrenty and they wont fob me off as i will involve the police coz i havnt had the car longer then a week, told me theyd fix the problem i just want to know if it is any of them would it be linked to the ABS light aswell?

should i just get my money back?

The police won't get involved. Give the dealer a chance to sort things out, it's frustrating but these things happen, keep calm.

Do you have AA/RAC or the like breakdown cover or does someone you know have such? If so you could "have a breakdown" and get them to have a look at the car.

Edit: now seen that you have taken Steve up on his offer.

Last edited:
Back