Hello from Ireland

low

Hi

I have just picked up a 2004 1.4tdi (90bhp), it has only 66K miles. I am delighted with the economy and the throttle response and handling on this car. Every time I walk over to it to drive somewhere it brings a smile to my face. Slowly coming to terms with its little quirks and features, really love the DIS unit. My fear with this was would I fit into it, at 6'3" and 20st I thought it would be a non runner but it is roomy and comfortable and I have way more headroom than the previous car which was an old range rover classic. Pity the rear seat passenger behind me though :eek:

This looks like a great site - plenty of helpful posts.

A2.jpg

regards
Low

One thing I was wondering about is a little switch at the back of the center console. Does anyone have any idea what this is for?

CenterConsoleButton.jpg

One thing I was wondering about is a little switch at the back of the center console. Does anyone have any idea what this is for?

View attachment 19894

It seems like the A2 addiction has hit you already and I am sure it will grow with time.

As for the rear passenger, I am 6' 1" and with my driver's seat in a comfortable position I can sit in the seat behind and my knees still don't touch the back of the driver's seat. So are you sure that your passenger would have a problem?

As for the switch above. It is totally not standard.
I can only guess at what it might be, perhaps a volume control for the rear passengers?

it will almost certainly not be heater related or even Sat Nav related. My money is on a rear volume control? But that is just a guess.

Welcome to a great forum.

Steve B

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to A2OC Low.

You've got a very low mileage car there - same as mine too. Watch out for clutch issues on the 90 version - it can go with alarming regularity (I've had 3 in 120k miles already) but apart from that, they're fantastic.

The button you show has been installed by a previous owner - could be something to do with a mobile phone accessory or some other similar aftermarket accessory. Without investigating where the wires go to, it's hard to say for certain, other than it's definitely not original.

Cheers,

Michael

Think you are right about it being non standard, the fitting looks pretty shoddy. I will try the volume to see if that's it. Might try and contact the previous owner about it too

thanks for the quick response Steve

I can't see a rocker switch being to do with volume of the rear speakers, unless it's a cut switch. Why not whip out the little stowage insert that's covering the wires and see what's there. It literally just lifts straight up and out.

It is definitely not original though, having seen literally hundreds of A2s, and owning mine since new, I know it's not something that Audi installed.

Cheers,

Michael

Yes Michael,

I see what you mean.
On my phone the picture was so small that it looked like a twist volume type button. On closer inspection I can now see that it is a rocker switch.

A further guess (due to its proximity) is that it could be a switch that is wired into the "cigarette lighter" socket.
With the socket being permanently live perhaps this is a way of switching off the power socket?

it is an intriguing little switch I hope we find out what it does soon.
Mind you it looks like the hole for it was cut with a chisel!!! (Looking at the very small picture on my phone)

Steve B

Hi Michael

You mentioned clutch issues - it just reminded me that there is a slight vibration on the clutch pedal as you just rest your foot on it, I did mention it to the guy I bought it off and he said its nothing to worry about. There is no issue when you fully depress clutch pedal and change gears - it seems fine. Just wondering if that vibration is symptomatic of anything. It would be good to know because I have some recourse with the car.

Steve, with the location of the cigarette lighter you could be right about it being used as an on/off switch for it. I will check later after work

thanks for the quick feedback guys
Low

The car is a 3 cylinder diesel - it's going to be quite vibe-y in comparison to a lot of other cars.

However, when the clutch (and more precisely the dual mass fly-wheel) is on its way out, the car will rock quite a lot when sat at a standstill, say at traffic lights with the hand-brake on. If you dip the pedal all the way, the rocking will subside and if it does, then this is a sure sign that the fly-wheel is on the way out.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael

You mentioned clutch issues - it just reminded me that there is a slight vibration on the clutch pedal as you just rest your foot on it, I did mention it to the guy I bought it off and he said its nothing to worry about. There is no issue when you fully depress clutch pedal and change gears - it seems fine. Just wondering if that vibration is symptomatic of anything. It would be good to know because I have some recourse with the car.

Steve, with the location of the cigarette lighter you could be right about it being used as an on/off switch for it. I will check later after work

thanks for the quick feedback guys
Low
I just had to replace the clutch and dual mass flywheel on my wife's 90. We had exactly the symptoms you describe. The pedal would vibrate when you put a little pressure on it and then go smooth when you fully depress it.
We didn't have any ticking of he engine but as Michael says this is often and indication of a DMF problem.
But don't be worried, the wife's car did the vibrating clutch fir two years before I decided to bite he bullet and replace the clutch and DMF. Not the clutch is light and perfect.
I am a fan of the 90 and the occasional cost associated with the DMF is worth it in my view. We had 70k miles before our symptoms. So it sounds similar to yours.

Steve B

Hi Michael

No vibration in the car as such, you just feel a tingling in your foot as it just rests on clutch pedal, it goes when you depress the clutch - do you think this is fly-wheel?

cheers

Hi Steve

Your replies are so quick fire I am getting the answers to my questions before I get round to posting them.

Thanks for you help guys, I have to bring the car back to the independent dealer next weejk regarding a worn drop link, I will see what he will do about this

cheers

No vibration in the car as such, you just feel a tingling in your foot as it just rests on clutch pedal, it goes when you depress the clutch - do you think this is fly-wheel?

I doubt it - maybe the start of something though, but as the pedal is not mechanically linked in a physical way to the clutch (it's all hydraulic so there's a fluid and rubber joint between your pedal and the dmf/clutch), it's not usual that vibes reach the pedal directly. Probably more a result of the uneven 3-pot engine.

Cheers,

Michael.

Hi Michael

cheers

They match exactly the symptoms of my wife's car and the clutch pedal was slightly stiffer than on a 75, I just put that down to it being the difference between the 90 and 75, but when the clutch was done the pedal was as light as a 75.

No engine vibrations just the clutch pedal when you slightly depressed it. When the car was stripped the DMF was definitely on the way out.

Now it is silky smooth.

But as I said, we lived with it for a long time without issue.

If it starts to get much worse then budget for a clutch assembly and hope that the DMF is OK

Steve B

Hi

Had a friend who is a mechanic take a look at clutch. He confirmed that it was indeed DM flywheel but nothing to worry about for a long time yet

As for that switch, doesn't seem to be a kill switch for anything, I will get the previous owner details from the dealer and see if he was the one who installed it

Still grinning driving this fun little car after a week. Good performance, great economy

Thanks for your help guys
Low

That seems ok then.

Many wife's was like that fir over a year.

The cody of replacing the clutch and flywheel is a bit of a shock. But I found someone here who did it for "mates rates" and it was £700 including parts etc.

you are are well and truly bitten by the bug.

Have a a look on the "How to" section (mechanical) for a list of interesting posts I collected into an index. You will see lots of things you can do. Also scan the project thread (or click on my link below) to see what upgrades you can do too.

You our do realise that once you are hooked on the A2 (as you are now) you an A2 fan for life!!!!!

steve B

Back