Forge Motorsport Intercoolers

A2 Cars

A2 Cars LTD has partnered with Forge Motorsport to offer a high performance charge air cooler (intercooler) for the Audi A2 1.4 TDi's. These charge air coolers are marketed exclusively through A2 Cars Milton Keynes and are sold on a fitted basis only.

Several months ago, we approached Forge Motorsport and worked with their R & D division to develop a charge air cooler that could be fitted to an Audi A2 with minimum alterations. The first units were delivered some time ago and two units have been fitted to re-mapped A2’s that see considerable daily use. This field testing has allowed us to monitor the performance and durability of these coolers and they have been regularly inspected during our assessment programme. We are extremely happy with the results and are confident that these coolers are superior to the standard Audi coolers, and other alternate aftermarket attempts.

Charge air coolers are used to cool the compressed air delivered through turbo-charging and super-charging. This is in part achieved by presenting a less restricted air flow through the cooler cores, more and larger fins offering greater surface area to be cooled and a greater air volume within the cooler. The nett result is denser, cooler air, carrying more oxygen to the combustion chamber and a more efficient combustion process with gains in power output.
Our Forge charge air coolers are made entirely of aluminium. This allows uniform expansion and contraction and are without plastic end caps and seals that deteriorate and fail over time. Forge charge air coolers fitted at A2 Cars are covered by a no quibble lifetime warranty and are suitable for the 75 & 90 BHP TDi's

We have recently received our second shipment of charge air coolers from Forge and these units are now available for owners of Audi A2’s seeking a high quality, high-tech upgrade. Due to limited stocks, the coolers are sold on a first come, first served basis and installation bookings will require a deposit of 50% with installation at our workshops in Milton Keynes. Fitted price including VAT is £668.50

Forge Intercooler 1.jpgForge Intercooler 2.jpgForge Intercooler 3.jpg

blue skies

tony

This is great Tony. Glad to see A2 cars is pushing forward to bring new things to the market.

This is fantastic Tony. For the benefit of the membership can you describe the improvements you've made with Forge to that which Shezlee describes in the below link. I'm loosely aware from old discussions that there were flaws in the original concept.

Is your improved and tested model a straight fit or are there any modifications required to the car? I'm definitely interested in this. Thanks :cool:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?6624-Intercooler-failure&highlight=forge

Last edited:
This should help you out-----" Forge charge air coolers fitted at A2 Cars are covered by a no quibble lifetime warranty and are suitable for the 75 & 90 BHP TDi's"

cheers mike

This should help you out-----" Forge charge air coolers fitted at A2 Cars are covered by a no quibble lifetime warranty and are suitable for the 75 & 90 BHP TDi's"

cheers mike

Oops. Should have read it. Got a bit excited. However, what s a 'lifetime'? in Vauxhall terms it's 10 years or 100000 miles.

Chris

Oops. Should have read it. Got a bit excited. However, what s a 'lifetime'? in Vauxhall terms it's 10 years or 100000 miles.

Chris

In Motoring warrantees it is normally interpreted as the life of the vehicle whoever owns it.

Steve B

Chris, the warranty covers the intercoolers from manufacturing defects for the life of the unit, in the car it was originally fitted to. Accident and flying debris damage is obviously not covered but they are very robust.

Murdo, we supplied a complete TDi front end to Forge for their dimensional measurements - the unit fits in the original recess very well indeed. There is a small modification to the lower charge hose and a securing bracket at the top of the radiator. The coolers are designed so that they are able to accommodate both versions of the pressure sensor.

Oh, and they look so good fitted!

blue skies
tony

In Motoring warrantees it is normally interpreted as the life of the vehicle whoever owns it.

Steve B

So god willing that may be 50 years for me!!! Sorry to be morbid however I suspect a well maintained A2 will outlive a fair percentage of us. ;)

So god willing that may be 50 years for me!!! Sorry to be morbid however I suspect a well maintained A2 will outlive a fair percentage of us. ;)

I would imagine that you are right. especially in my case, with the condition of "the project" being top notch and me being 62. It means that the project will outlive me (barring accidents that is (to me or the car!) almost certainly.

Steve B

Hi,

Some of questions regarding the coolers:
1) What are actual field results?
2) Is cooling performance of both versions, 75 and 90, identical? I have a 75HP TDI but would opt for the most powerful one:)
3) Is it possible to buy an intercooler without fitting service?

Thanks!

Nice product but wowsers forge charge cooler £668 there are complete Audi a2 cars available for not a lot more money the worlds gone mad ?..i know that’s fitted but even so ..err no ...

a replacement intercooler that will last more than 5-6 years will cost, end of story. Though I'd suggest reading Timmus' story before dismissing the idea of quality parts - there *is* a point in this case.

- Bret

a replacement intercooler that will last more than 5-6 years will cost, end of story. Though I'd suggest reading Timmus' story before dismissing the idea of quality parts - there *is* a point in this case.

- Bret
Who is dismissing quality parts Brett ?? I never fit cheap but I could make that myself easily ..for a fraction of what they cost ..those charge blanks available in various sizes ..couple of bits of alloy ..tig weld up....do you know what bar pressure this unit runs at ?? neglidgable...it’s not a 600 bhp motor with massive boost ..if I jigged up I could bang them out ..most people don’t realise how little is involved in producing these so called racing exotic parts it does make me smile ? ..if you tool up a lot of these high quality parts cost pennies compared to what your paying retail I know.. I was in it ...the mark ups you would not believe ..I was dismissing the fact most people don’t know better than to pay these prices or are unable to manufacture the part themselves ..this is the point in case ..

Last edited:
I don't like to dismiss anything. Timmus explained in depth in another thread the principles behind the better intercoolers in a far better way than I ever could. He's closer to the source and the issue, what with me driving a Petrol.

This is the thread and post I'm referring to: https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/tdi120-my-new-engine.32986/#post-281493

IIRC, the group buy was at £500, without fitting.

- Bret
Hi bret your certainly having a good bit of snow up in Finland ..I really enjoyed my 4 years working in Sweden and Denmark it’s a different dry cold ..I loved it ..? I had some great weekends in the Stockholm archipelago ..great fishing .
That’s a super in depth write up by timmus explaining in simple way fir people to understand the workings ..nice one timmus .

Last edited:
Back