New A2 looking for playmates..

motosport

Hello everyone..

My name is Alex and I have enjoyed reading this forum for some time now and figured its about time to introduce myself.. I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, and earlier this year I replaced my VW Touran with a 2003 A2 1.2 TDI.

I really liked that little car and not least the amazing fuel economy and comfy ride. A few month later though, I test drove an A2 1.4 tdi S-line with OSS, leather, Bose and pretty much all the options possible, and I liked that car even more then our 3L model. The 1.4 just felt more integrated, solid and not least luxurious with all the nice options.

Unfortunately the S-line car was sold under my nose, so I started looking for another nice 1.4 TDI, and now that I had tasted the feeling of wind in my hair, sweet tunes from the Bose and leather sport seats caressing my bum, nothing less would do.. So the search for a well maintained high optioned A2 was on..

My A2 3L sold quickly, and at the same time I had found a quite nice silver 2002 1.4 TDI model that I ended up buying. It was owned by an enthusiast and really well maintained, so I was quite happy with our new car.. Here she is..

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

She has done 212.000 km but with full service history and runs great and almost as good fuel economy as my 3L if I'm not pushing it. She has a smooth running OSS, full leather seats, split rear seats, Bose, DIS, cruise control, comfort indicator, heated seats, dobbelt floor in boot, 16" sport wheels in gloss black, factory alarm, parking sensors, B-pillar airbags and loads of charm..

Immediate plans for her is a re-flash and probably a new dogbone and engine mounts as there is a bit of vibrations on take of in first and some engine buzz during acceleration. And next is probably to replace the gearbox with a JDD unit from a Polo Bluemotion, as our A2 TDI's are literally begging for a higher gearing. Compared to the 3L A2, this puppy revs some 700 rpms more in 5th gear so that needs to be rectified..

And thanks to everyone on this very friendly and informative forum, its just a shame I am not in UK, so I can take advantage of all the A2 experts over there.. All comments, suggestions and feedback are most welcome.. I enjoy tinkering with and farkling my cars and bikes, and sharing experiences are all part of that..

All the best - Alex.

Hi Alex,

Welcome and what a GREAT first post.

It is always interesting to here about people's discovery of these great cars.

I hope you find lots of help and friendly advice on here.

As you have discovered it is a great club / forum.

Have a great time

Steve B

Welcome to a2oc and your car looks great with great spec. Silver cars with OSS look fab. cheers mike

What a great first post and a great spec car! Welcome.

There are plenty of forum members on here who enjoy 'farkling' their cars:rolleyes:

Geoff

Great to hear from one of our continental members. Nicely specced car.

Hi Alex, welcome along to the forum, a great place to share your views and your great looking A2!
Maybe take a drive over for a social!
Cheers Jeff

Hi Alex

Welcome :) That's a lovely looking A2 with a great spec.

Instead of replacing the whole gearbox have you thought of just changing the 5th gear? It only takes an hour or so and much cheaper. It uses VAG parts. See here for some details http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?12808-Information-on-the-5th-gear-mod-all-in-one-post Or do Advanced search and search Titles for "5th gear".

PS Many years ago I worked in Copenhagen and lived in Allerod. Nice country and people but a bit flat and windy! (though great for wind turbines).

Hi Alex,

You also forgot to mention the auto dimming mirror you have, which is not that common, you probably have other extras too?

Steve B

Thank you everyone for such a warm and friendly welcome.. It surely must be our wonderful and nice cars that rubs off on their owners.. :)

Jeff - funny you mentioned it, but I have already been playing with the idea a road trip to UK to attend one of the socials, as there are very few A2's in Denmark and therefore quite rare to meet and see others. And perhaps I could at the same time book in time with the famous and renowned A2 guru of Timmus or A2 cars to have some tasty upgrades done..! Killing two birds with one stone so to speak.. Or three actually, as both my wife and I would love to go touring in Scottish Highlands too, and being Australian she would enjoy driving on the right side of the road again, as in the left which is the right for her..?!? :roll eyes:

And Steve B, I purely hold you responsible for my new found desire to install MFSW, RNS-E Navi, Alcantara seats and all kind of other goodies, as I have been getting more and more envious reading through your mega thread of creating your own dream A2..!! If I ever get to see your car irl, I'll be drooling all over it like a dog outside a butchers shop..

And great spotting on the auto dim rear view mirror, I hadn't even noticed it myself..! I does seem to have a few extra goodies as I have discovered, like the extra pushbutton above the fuel hatch button as seen in pic 7. I have not yet figured out what its for actually, but my guess its something to do with the factory alarm system..?!? I also discovered that it has head protection airbags at the top of the B-pillars, which I have not seen on other cars. It also has the factory mobile phone setup, which is now obsolete of course, but I changed the existing phone plug in the little compartment in front of gear lever, to a double USB charger plug instead as shown in last pic. I am still contemplating what to use the phone cradle to the right of the gear lever for
though..? And who knows, I might find more interesting options as I get to know her better.. :)

I just managed to take a few pics of old 3L A2 together with our new 1.4 TDI before the new owner picked up the 3L car.. And a few more pics of our new A2 since I know everyone likes pics..

Attachments

• P1020475.JPG
    P1020475.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 231
  • P1020476.JPG
    P1020476.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 225
  • P1020492.JPG
    P1020492.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 223
  • P1020499.JPG
    P1020499.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 229
  • P1020503.JPG
    P1020503.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 232
  • P1020508.JPG
    P1020508.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 243
Hi
thank you for the kind comments.

The button above the fuel flap button switches off the interior alarm monitor when you leave people in the car with the alarm set.

The "head protection" is called "side guard" and it is the rarest of all options on the A2 (I don't even have it on my car (yet!!!!)

It will he great to meet up when you come over.

Best wishes
steve B

Last edited:
Alan - I have considered several options for a longer gearing, but I am not to keen on the longer 5th gear option, as I am afraid it will leave to big a gap between 4th and 5th gear, and I would also prefer the other four gears to be a bit longer.

So I am leaning towards either the 6 speed options - both if which I find a bit steep, and not sure if the Passat 6 speed box will even work in my 2002 car - or the 5 speed JDD box. I really liked the gearing of the my previous 3L A2 which made for a very relaxed and comfy drive, and if I have understood it correctly, the JDD box should have almost identical ratios to the 3L box.

And I can find an overhauled and ready to fit JDD box for 500 euros, whereas a Passat 6-speed box is more then double, so that is why I so far are favoring the JDD 5-speed upgrade..

Steve B - thanks for the info.. And good to know that my car has one of the rarest options, not least if I should ever have an accident.. So many great details and cool features on our cars..

And thanks to this forum, I have now been so bitten by the A2 bug, that I have just bought another one.. :) Not exactly sure what I am going to do with it yet, but I just had to have it...!! :cool:

Alex

It looks like you have been struck down by the A2 bug, well and truly.

It happens like this to many new owners!!

There is no cure (fortunately)

Steve B

And thanks to this forum, I have now been so bitten by the A2 bug, that I have just bought another one.. :) Not exactly sure what I am going to do with it yet, but I just had to have it...!! :cool:

I know exactly how you feel. Been considering buying another A2 as well for myself to get better aquainted with. Maybe an FSI with OSS. Decisions decisions.

Welcome to the club. Lovely car you have. Once bitten always smitten. Lots of potential to modify it, limited only by your imagination.
Makes the Mercedes look outdated and plain in comparison.
Happy driving.

Drew

......... runs great and almost as good fuel economy as my 3L if I'm not pushing it.

What actual fuel economy do you get, especially with your 3L, and is that city or countryside driving?

As you may well know, in the UK the 1.2 was never sold - big shame.

Welcome Alex, as others have said great looking car and good to hear that you are thinking about attending a social as well
Vonnie

Back