Smoking from Maintenance Flap Oil Cap

Rhian

A2OC Donor
For the last few weeks I have intermittent smoking from the Maintenance flap oil cap. Sometimes it's barely noticeable/ not smoking and other days it's smokes fairly badly!

There's no smoke coming from the engine oil cap. Is there anything I can test or look for? I'm a bit stumped as to what it can be. Would it be beneficial to scan it?

Thanks in advance

Rhian

Hi Rhian it could be the cap itself is not sealing properly. What engine are we talking about here? I doubt a scan will show anything. Cheers Mike

Hi Sumo,

Sorry, meant to say it's a Y reg 1.4 petrol. I had thought that as it looked as if it was coming from the seal where it swivels out of the flap. But I had started to wonder if it was anything more serious.

Rhian

I had an A2 with a bad seal on the filler (the bit that swivels out).
Tgat resulted in the slight smell of fumes in the car and the occasional wisp of smoke from the filler area.
Mot is a sealed venting system and so if the seals are not broken you should not see smoke ever, apart from out of he exhaust.

So do I would check all seals in that area.

the chances are that if you do have a broken seal it may even be affecting the running at low revs a little.

Steve B

Thank you Steve B. I'll check again to make sure once I've driven it home. If it is a seal, how would I fix it?

There should be s rubber seal St the point at with the oil filler swivels, at the join between that and the pipe.
If tgat is missing you will probably find that area is very wet with oil.
If it is then you may find that you need someone to make a tubber seal for you (or use a seal from something else)
The Audi parts dealer told me that they were not available (might be worth checking again now though). They quoted me around £100 fir a new swivel filler with the seal included. So I just made do with something.
But check it closely.
Also ensure that the oil filler cap is in place and seems ok.

Steve B

I do not have any mayo like substances in the oil cap. Would it be in the maintenance flap one or should I check the main oil cap on the engine as well?

Thanks,
Rhian

"Mayo" is more likely to be on the cap on the engine than in the filler in the service flap.

But in severe cases it might be there too.

Steve B

Ok... An update on this.

On Tuesday my A2 decided to give me an EPC light and amber ‘check engine’ light. No sounds or buzzers, just the light displayed on the dash. Please see Photo 1

It came and went after a few restarts of the car throughout the day. The EPC light goes off after awhile (normally after a restart) and won't appear again until the engine has disappeared and then reappears with both lights. The car was running ok to what i could see/hear/feel.

I scanned the car today on my code reader and unfortunately it came up with U3FFF. Photo 2. Which appears to be an unreadable code on my code reader :mad:

What I should add here, is a similar thing happened in December 2014 (minus the smoking from the service flap). I had the car read for codes at my place of work (I work in a college with a motor mechanics department) and the code was for the MAP sensor. Took it the local garage who read the same code (unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact the code!) They refused to work on it as they wanted a second opinion. I drove to my partners best friend who is a mechanic (roughly 50 miles away) and he had it for a few days and long story short, changed the cam belt as it was very loose, cleared the code and I hadn't had a problem since.

In terms of the smoking from the service flap, I checked the seal around the swivel part and it has indeed broken Photo 3 and Photo 4 as well as a blurry Photo 5. I checked both oil caps for mayo and neither had it. I also checked the main oil cap for smoking and there was some, similar to the maintenance flap oil cap as shown in this Video 1.

The car is running rough at the moment, rougher than normal. Please see Video 2. I'm wondering if it is misfiring?

So... I'm unsure whether this is all part of the same problem and each issue is contributing to one overall problem or if this is various different issues that are all separate. HELP!

Many Thanks,

Rhian

P.S Sorry for the externally linked photos and videos, for some reason it did not like me incorporating them into the text!

P.P.S I was planning on trading her in towards a deposit on a new car... She must have heard me and is feeling rather unloved:(

Hi as far as I know the petrol engines are "positive crankcase ventilation" so any leaks will cause rough running. The simplest of leaks like leaving the dip stick out so I would get those seals sorted on the remote filler and see what it's like then.
Saying that if your looking for a trade in deal - they probably wouldn't even bother starting it up. Cheers Mike

Update:
Ordered a new oil filler box, part number: A8Z0 115 373 A. £30.10 in total so thought it was worth getting rather than fiddling with trying to find something fit which could be a lot of trial and error. Arrives tomorrow so we'll see if this makes a difference.

Does anyone have any advice on the other issues?

Rhian

Back