the reason to stop using XP just happened...

bretti_kivi

Microsoft have released an out-of-rhythm patch for everything from Vista upwards to fix a critical bug in a font handler. All it needs to use this vulnerability is a prepared webpage; so if a Windows XP user visits an infected webpage, their machine can be compromised and *Microsoft won't be patching Windows XP*.

Moral? If you are still using XP, either take it off the Internet or get rid of it ASAP.

More details here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/20/windows_microsoft_emergency_patch/

- Bret

I've literally just finished putting Windows 7 on my old PC (was XP) at 5pm when I saw this and thought the same.

It's an indictment that software upon which western civilisation is so dependent on can be so vulnerable to what appears to be a simple hack, especially given the millions of websites that are poorly maintained and can be compromised to deliver the payload. And don't let's even mention Flash which is used extensively by the BBC website as is just as bad.

It's taken me days to install the base Win 7, apply 200+ fixes, customise, install apps and customise them, and back everything up along the way :(

And we will have to repeat all this again in 2020 when Win 7 support expires!

Back