Airbag Light - 00588 - Air Bag Ignition Circuit - Driver Side N95.

A2Jay

A couple of you know that I've just bought an Audi A2.

A few days later the Airbag light came on! I've had a scan done and its showing 00588 - Air-bag Ignitcion Circuit - Driver Side N95.

Now it came on when I had passangers in the back for the first time! I've read a lot of stuff around it being the connector?

Before I go and unplug it, clean it out and blow my arm off by setting the air bag off. Thought i'd ask how is best to do this? Obviously I don't want to set the air bag off! So is it disconnect battery, do the work. Plug battery back in?

Also anyone had any success stories with this code?

Just need some advice on the best way to fix the problem. If I am right in assuming its the plug under the seat.

Cheers Jay

Hi

To be completely safe the approach disconnect the battery, wait 10 or 15 minutes (to let everything discharge) then it should be safe.

But treat airbags as mini hand grenades and you will give them the respect they deserve.

Most the very least make sure that you are well away from where the airbag is when disconnecting or reconnecting it.

Better safe than sorry

I agree.

I don't want an airbag going off for both safety and finance reasons! Smart wanted over £1000 to fit a new airbag to my roadster! No thanks!

In terms of the code. Do you think this is related to the connector under the drivers seat?

Cheers Jay

I agree.

I don't want an airbag going off for both safety and finance reasons! Smart wanted over £1000 to fit a new airbag to my roadster! No thanks!

In terms of the code. Do you think this is related to the connector under the drivers seat?

Cheers Jay

Yes, my money is still on that being the cause.

Open it (after the battery disconnection mentioned above) and check the contacts, reconnect it (sometimes that is all that is needed) and have the code reset.

Steve B

Also
you can read the air bag controller. Use measuring block 15 and you should see the readings indicating the problem.
But this is done with the ignition on and so you need to be careful. It is meant to be ok (it is indicated in the VCDS instructions how to do this somewhere. But only do that as a last resort.
Hopefully a check on the connector will show it is not connected properly.
It should be the yellow one I believe.

Steve B

Thanks, I'll have a good look in the morning.

I've disconnected the battery this evening just to be double sure :)

Didn't have luck on my side today.

Disconnected the connector under the seat. Checked all connections. Everything looked fine, no loose wires. Nothing broken.

Cleaned it all out, reconnected and cleared the code! Stayed off for about 3 - 4 starts. And 5 miles. Thought it was fixed. But got in the car this morning and started it up and Air bag light stayed on! :(

Next resort is to remove the connector... and soldier the wires together...

If not I don't know.

Got the VCDS cable and licence. Plugged it in. Same code. Driver side resistance too high.

Not sure what to do.? Cleaned all the connectors, checked the wires. Cleared the code. Came back on today.

Only other option is to cut the connector off and soldier the wires together?

Driving me crazy. Light stays off for a day or 2 then comes back on! Heart sinks when it comes back on. :(

Full Code is 00588 N95 32-10

Last edited:
I had a similar problem on my wifes mk4 Golf. I paid a mobile auto electrician around £40 to come to my home address and diagnose the problem. It turned out that one of the air bag wires leading to the drivers seat had deteriorated over the years through her moving the seat backwards and forwards and it had broken apart inside the "wrapped up" loom.

I,m not saying that this could be your problem but its another avenue to consider.

Ta
Dave
:)

I now have A2Jays car. It appears the fault was cured by taping over the light on the back of the cluster... Now the fun starts again!

I had exactly the same problem with the same air bag on mine.
It was just the wiring leading to the socket under the seat. It is quite rare to have a real air bag error. So fingers crossed and it will just be a similar easy fix.

Steve B

I had exactly the same problem with the same air bag on mine.
It was just the wiring leading to the socket under the seat. It is quite rare to have a real air bag error. So fingers crossed and it will just be a similar easy fix.

Steve B
Great, WOM zeroed the code and reading the above, it all happened. They thought it could be a steering wheel error too, so as I've had all the seats out for a deep clean and TImmus to work his loomy magic for rear speaker fitment, I will zero the light again and see. It would appear that A2Jay only had this car for a month, taped over the light, drilled the tailgate for a camera and played with the wiring in a messy way snapping trim as he went, got bored and sold it to a single Mum. Still he did fit a Concert radio which is great. I guess he had some fun, and that's what it's all about. And that was 8 years ago! Great to see his pictures of it on here though!

My money is in the wiring under the seat being the problem. It should therefore be an easy fix.
With mine removing the error code sometimes switched off the warning only for it to reappear (especially when I had adjusted the seat)

Back