USB options for OEM head units

jetboy

A2OC Donor
Rather than replacing the OEM head unit, what options are available to mod the OEM unit (be it a Symphony, Concert etc.) to allow the playing of media files? On my wish-list would be:

. USB
. SD card
. FLAC support
. Text display on head unit (ID3 tags etc.)
. Folder navigation from head unit
. No limit on number of folders or number of files in folders
. Android mass storage support
. Bluetooth (with phone support?!)
. Aux in

If the standard A2 head units can't do this, are there later OEM single of double-DIN ones that will as standard, or can be adapted?

Last edited:
I think the current best option is xcarlink with bluetooth.

As far as i know, it is one of the only ones that also work with the A2's Bose sound system.

If i remember right it does the following and it also looks so much better than a 3rd party headunit as it looks factory.

USB
SD CARD
AUX IN
Bluetooth Music and satnav voice streaming
Bluetooth hands free
Folder navigation and still retain use of the cd changer

I habe DENSION in my A2 BOSE SOUND SYSTEM that works perfect. DENSION with Bluetooth. Super happy with it, have it for some like 2years now I think. Think I bought through ebay for around €85.

I've got a Dension Gateway 300 unit, spare. It's suitable for Bose-equipped cars, too, and will work with the 6-disc changer. It is brand-new and I haven't even opened the box or packaging.

It's for sale and I'm looking for £75 + £5 to send.

David

Am I right in thinking that none of these solutions show artist/title information on the head unit display?

Am I right in thinking that none of these solutions show artist/title information on the head unit display?

No, I think that the Dension unit that I have for sale will show full artist/title information from an Ipod on the DIS display. There is just one thing to note, though, and that is you can't

have both the 6-disc player and the Ipod connected at the same time .... it is one or the other!

David

Correct. There are a few of the Dension units that relay text information to the screen of the head unit, but they cannot be fitted in conjunction with a boot-mounted CD changer. All Dension units that allow the CD changer to remain connected do not support text.
Note that this only applies to external CD changers. If you have a Symphony II unit with an integrated 6-disc changer, then a text-enabled Dension unit can be fitted without issue.

Cheers,

Tom

For the Dension units:

. Full artist/title or just folder/track number?
. Using the head unit display and/or DIS display?
. Does this all work with USB sticks or just Apple products?

Sorry for labouring the point, but there's so much vague information online that some first-hand knowledge is very valuable.

For the Dension units:

. Full artist/title or just folder/track number?

Not sure, sorry. I've not got the first-hand knowledge you seek, unfortunately. However, on the Dension site, it states "the Gateway 300 can display all song related information on the car radio". So, I imagine the device reads the mp3 ID3 tag.

. Using the head unit display and/or DIS display?

Anything that gets as far as the head unit display will then be successfully relayed to the DIS display.

. Does this all work with USB sticks or just Apple products?

Again, I reckon it's based on the individual track's ID3 tag, so it should give you proper artist/title info rather than just folder/number.

Sorry for labouring the point, but there's so much vague information online that some first-hand knowledge is very valuable.

Apologies that my answers aren't definitive. Dension themselves may be able to confirm my thoughts.

Cheers,

Tom

Back