Cambelt replacement at 150K - anything else required?

Greywall

Germany
Hi everyone

Just booked wee 'Liv' in for a cambelt and waterpump replacement at Stealth. She'll be having an annual service (she has had a lot of stop-start journeys during the past year).

The thermostat or temperature sensor will be replaced too, since the coolant temperature never reaches 90, even on long journeys. I'm sure this is having a detrimental effect on the fuel economy, too.

We're off on a continental vacation and will be covering approximately 3500 miles over 17 days. Can anyone suggest what other work ought to be done while Liv has all her bits out (so to speak!)? Obviously, she has reached the grand old age of 11 and has covered 155K miles.

I was away for work earlier this year and the clutch went bang during my absence. My dad took Liv in to a local garage where they replaced the clutch - would the DMF have been changed as a matter of course? The kit was over £500, if I recall correctly! I did speak to the (Turkish) lad who did the work and, although he definitely knew his mechanics, he wasn't able to answer my question fully.

I'm thinking of having the wiper arm changed, since there's movement there, it clangs against the screen and the screws are rusting too. Or is this an easy fix?

One other thing. When driving the car, I've started to hear a 'clinking' sound on the passenger side, as if there are many wine glasses clinking together at the same time. Any ideas what could be the cause of this?

I've taken really good care of Liv since I bought her but, as time goes on and her internals get older, I want to make sure she remains as dependable as ever. I particularly don't want any problems when driving down a country lane in Italy!

I appreciate all suggestions.

Jag

Hi Jag. You'd need to get confirmation of the part number used for the clutch. The DMF and clutch assembly I bought was around the 400 pound mark. A clutch alone is nearer 100 pounds.

The wine bottle noise might be the bonnet catch getting worn out . Press the flat of your hand on the corner of the bonnet at the windscreen and give it a 'jiggle' If there is play and a rattly noise this could be your culprit. It made a noise like ball bearings rolling around inside the dash on our car. New inserts for the bonnet catches are very cheap from Audi. I've been lazy and used a piece of rubber seal to stop the play in the bonnet.

I would replace the wiper arm. You can nip it up with pliers but if it's worn to the point of touching the glass it would have last long and it's about 80 pounds for a new arm. Makes a big difference cosmetically and you won't be running the risk of a scratched screen.

Good luck with the repairs and enjoy your holiday.

edit: the part number for the DMF and clutch is 417 0047 10. It's made by LUK

Last edited:
I have suffered from wear and rusty screws at the connection between the wiper blade to the arm which led to a nice little gouge in the screen. However this was over 2 months ago and rather than getting a new one I decided to Clarkson it. By this I mean hit it with a hammer while it was clamped in a vise. This was surprisingly effective and it has stayed in place remarkably well. So well in fact that getting a new one seems unnecessary, though I probably will do at some point (maybe when I find a way to remove the scratch).

is the secondary belt to the alternator being replaced at the same time?

I would also consider checking the state of the Aircon setup, regassing if necessary, possibly replacing the drier.

- Bret

Could be worth checking the alternator pulley. I'm sure Stealth have changed several in the past so they will know what to look for.

Cheers Spike

Could be worth checking the alternator pulley. I'm sure Stealth have changed several in the past so they will know what to look for.

Cheers Spike

Chaps

Some great ideas and suggestions put forward and I'm really grateful for your input. I'll ask Vince at Stealth to have a good look round - he has the car for the whole day.

I ordered a replacement aero wiper arm but I've been told it doesn't come with any fixings etc. I don't want to use the rusting bolts already being employed!

Murdo, thanks for the part number. My father went back and got the garage owner to check the paperwork and has assured me he ordered the DMF and clutch assembly.

Thanks again, everyone!

Jag

Back