Information Calling all caravanners

ijedgar

A2OC Donor
I am nearing retirement and need to start looking for a place to live as my job is residential.
I am thinking of getting a 2 berth caravan and towing it with the A2 TDi to the areas that I am looking to move to.
Does anyone have any experiences of owning a small 2 berth or any suggestions as to which one to buy?Or what to avoid.
Not looking to go new so a 2nd hand model maybe four or five years old would fit the bill.
Also how does the 1.4 TDi cope with towing?
Thanks

I would look at the caravan club car/caravan matching service to help select which vans are suitable. You also need to check the maximum permissible braked towing capacity of the A2. If you are inexperienced in towing I personally would not go above about 85/90% weight ratio of caravan to car weight which in effect will limit you to a caravan of about 850kg's MTPLM. In other words it's weight including ALL your clothes, food, gas bottle etc etc. I think you will struggle with anything other than a folding caravan or one of the import brands which have an elevating roof. I really would rethink your strategy and consider buying a larger car if only on a temporary basis. We tow with an Audi A6 tdi although someone on here very recently posted a photo if an A2 towing a caravan.

Thanks for the advice.
I really don`t want to sell the A2,just had it serviced,cam belt/water pump,front brake discs,pads & fluid,leather/alcantara seats etc put in so would take a hefty loss.
Maybe one of these new pod like caravans would do the job but was hoping to get something a bit cheaper.
If not it will just have to be B&B.

What about a trailer tent. Used one for year whilst the kids were growing up. Much easier to tow and interior is larger.

By the time you have bought, insured, fitted tow bar, paid for site fees etc I would stick to B & B. As much as I like caravanning unless you intend continuing after you get sorted I would concentrate your efforts on finding your retirement home. If you are still considering a caravan then start looking at ads and visiting dealers to see what there is about, look at the various club web sites and magazines who often feature small pod or folding vans. There is also a big caravan show at the NEC mid October which even if buying used will help with research.

After a little research I think you are right about sticking to B&B.
It will probably be more cost effective.

After a little research I think you are right about sticking to B&B.
It will probably be more cost effective.

Just an idea!
Why not start a post along side this one asking for B&B recommendations for areas you are looking at visiting, at least it'll take the headache out of choosing one from trip adviser, you can't beat a good recommendation! And our forum members seem an honest bunch!
Sort of a swerve from being car related but hey ho!
Cheers Jeff

Fairly broad area from just west of Minehead through to just west of Barnstaple.
It will be the property that decides the final location.

Back