Awful ride on 17 inch low profiles! Trip to dentist!

Birty

Finally got to have a long ride in the A2 Sport... Great handling but lost all my teeth! Dips, potholes everything transfers through to the car with a bang! Ive got the 17 inch 9 spoke with 205/40/ZR17/ 84W. Not enough rubber depth? Lord knows but I cant keep it this way! I have seen 15 inch for sale but what tyre depth will fit and will it actually improve things or should i change suspention instead! Any advice please... Sorry if this has been covered before.

Finally got to have a long ride in the A2 Sport... Great handling but lost all my teeth! Dips, potholes everything transfers through to the car with a bang! Ive got the 17 inch 9 spoke with 205/40/ZR17/ 84W. Not enough rubber depth? Lord knows but I cant keep it this way! I have seen 15 inch for sale but what tyre depth will fit and will it actually improve things or should i change suspention instead! Any advice please... Sorry if this has been covered before.

A light car will give a harsh ride over bumps because there is less weight to compress the shock absorbers.

dropping to 15" or 16" will give you a slightly softer ride but the difference in tyre wall size is minimal.

Firstly check your tyre pressures to make sure they are not over inflated before you spend any money, but even that will not transform the ride.

Plenty of people on here will recommend dropping to 16" or even 15" so that is worth a try, but as I say, don't expect miracles.

I prefer a firm ride, I used to spend loads of money on my cars to fit stiffer springs and shocks to improve the cornering, so the A2 ride is fine for me (even on 18" wheels).

So if you don't mind sacrificing some of he handling for some slight improvement in comfort, then try 15s first, because at least then you may get a noticeable difference.

Also, check for loose items in the door pockets and glove box and other cubby holes, you would be surprised at how much difference it makes when the reaction to the bumps is much quieter.

Steve B

If you go for 15 inch alloys below will fit.

15"

155/70
165/65
175/55
175/60 (reference size)
185/55
185/60
195/50
195/55 - identical rolling circumference to 205/40R17
205/50
205/55
225/50

Ive just changed to 15" pepperpots with Dunlop 185/60,s and there is a big difference in ride comfort even to the standard SE 16" wheels which i had on before. Steve has mentioned on many occasions that wheel and tyre sizes are a personal preference and i agree - its whatever you like !. I have "test driven" cars with 17" wheels and it felt to me as though there wasn,t any suspension at all. On the other hand i think the 17" inch sports wheels are the best looking standard wheels for the A2 !.

Ta
Dave
:)

Sorry if this has been covered before.

No need to apologise, though this undoubtedly has been discussed before. Many, many times. The A2's harsh ride is infamous on the forum and is generally regarded as being the model's Achilles' heel. Over the last decade, through trial and improvement, ways to drastically improve matters have been found, though I wouldn't go as far as to say the issue has been solved.
If you love your A2 and are willing to invest in an improved suspension setup, there are a few spring/shock combinations that have been demonstrated to work well. Koni FSDs and Monroe Reflex shocks absorbers are by far the most common choices. Spidan, Weitec and H&R springs seem to be the favoured options, with the Spidans offering the most comfort but with marginally increased body roll. By the time an A2 has done 120,000 miles, the stock suspension is usually worn out, meaning the shock absorbers offer little damping.
If you're looking for something of a quick fix, decreasing wheel size, increasing tyre wall or both is by far the best option. For the 17" wheels, 205/45 tyres are great; the extra 10.5mm of side wall makes a noticeable difference. 205/50 tyres on 16" wheels have 25% more side wall than the stock 205/40 tyres on the 17" wheels. Again, the difference is huge. If you run 15" wheels with 185/60 tyres, you might only be looking at an extra 29mm of side wall over the 17s, but that's a whopping 35% more rubber.

When I first bought my A2, I was determined to keep it on the 17" wheels. I was, I believe, the first to try 205/45 tyres. I then fitted Koni FSDs and Spidan springs. Both made a huge difference, but in the end I capitulated and dropped to 16" wheels. I'm now very happy with the ride and handling. For all that 15" wheels offer the greatest amount of comfort, I personally find them visually too small. Sixteens are, to my mind, the best compromise.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Lots of advice their from all. Thanks but just a final queston : If I put deeper tyres onto my existing does throw out any settings' i.e speedo etc because of extra diameter or is it so minimal that I dont need to worry?

if you go for 6"
Lots of advice their from all. Thanks but just a final queston : If I put deeper tyres onto my existing does throw out any settings' i.e speedo etc because of extra diameter or is it so minimal that I dont need to worry?

You cannot put deeper tyres on, unless they are only slightly deeper, for example 205 45 profile instead of 205 40.

The only way you can get deeper tyres is if you go down an inch or two (i.e. 16" or even 15") to maintain the same diameter you fit higher profile tyres (Deeper as you call it).

You need to compare the new tyre and wheel combination against the standard (I always use 205 40 17 as the standard to compare against.)

You should not fit tyres that will give you an increase of more than 2.5% in diameter, or they could rub and also they will throw the speedo out. A 2.5% increase in diameter is probably the best to aim for, this will cancel out the standard discrepancy on the speedo, which gives a slower reading (slightly) than the actual speed deliberately.

Check out sites such as
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

enter 205 40 17 as the existing tyre size and then enter an option you want to try and see if it is within 2.5%

If you go for 6" X 15" wheels you will find that 185 60 15 is almost exactly the same diameter as standard

If you go for 6" X 16" wheels then 195 50 16 has almost the same diameter as the standard tyres

But check the site for various options and also use the guide on the thread on here for the tyre combinations.

Steve B

You should not fit tyres that will give you an increase of more than 2.5% in diameter...

enter 205 40 17 as the existing tyre size and then enter an option you want to try and see if it is within 2.5%

2.5% seems to be the maximum recommended increase on almost all tyre size comparison sites, though the A2 will handle significantly greater increases due to the available space within the wheel arch and the overly optimistic speedo. 205/45/17 is 4.3% larger than the 185/50/16 for which the A2 is alegedly calibrated and is known to work just fine, resulting in an accurate speedo. 205/45/17 is 3.4% larger than 205/40/17.

Cheers,

Tom

I had the same problem with my Sport on the 17inch wheels, wheels looked great but I couldn't bear the harsh ride, and potholes/manhole covers would make the entire dashboard shudder . In the end I bought a set of "pepperpot" alloys (used), off an A4 (I think). They came fitted with 195/65x15 tyres which I kept and have had no rubbing problems with them - they really fill the wheelarches visually and I particularly like the appearance of the Pepperpot alloys. The ride is much improved, so a conversion I can recommend to anyone who finds the Sport ride too hard.

I have 17's on mine with 40 rubber. I have all my own teeth and I'm not a youth.
I find the ride stiffer than standard but I'm on new suspension all round.

I have 17's on mine with 40 rubber. I have all my own teeth and I'm not a youth.
I find the ride stiffer than standard but I'm on new suspension all round.
All of my teeth are my own.
I bought them from the dentist and have to rely on denture fixative.
But even on 18" wheels it is not a bone-shaker (and I thought it might be).
The suspension is responsible for the effect of pot holes etc, far more than the tyres are.
Sone people are still driving around on the original suspension and that could be the cause.
Others have uprated their suspension and that can stiffen up the ride even more.
It is all a question of preference.
I used to spend fortunes on my modified cars just to firm up the suspension and so improve the handling.
With the A2, especially in sport guise, I have my ideal set up. A standard suspension that is already firm with reduced roll and better steering response due to the 18" wheels. Yes it is a firm ride but in no way uncomfortable.
Yes, if I hit a pot hole there is a bang, but there would also be a bang from a 16" wheel and unless I try hitting that same pot hole at the same speed twice, once with 18s on and once with 16s on, I would not know for a fact, just how much of a difference there would be.

Mathematically there will be a small difference but you would still get an almighty bang from a pot hole.

At AITP I would be happy to demonstrate the ride quality on 18s and standard sport suspension. Because I am convinced that people would be surprised at how "normal" the ride is.

But the bottom line is that people who like the ride on 15s, 16s, 17s or even 18s are happy, it is not a competition.
It is just that I am not sure that criticising the standard suspension set up, and wheels on a Sport (or even non-sport) A2 helps anyone.

Tge he ride on 15s is slightly softer than that on 17s and so you should make your choice between a slightly better handling performance or a slightly more comfortable ride. Your choice.

But if your ride is crashy, in any way, check your tyre pressures, check your shock absorbers and avoid pot holes (if you can) whatever size you have on.

Those that tun 15 or 16 and are happy with the ride improvements are spot on, that works for them.
People who run 17 or 18 and are happy with the handling and firm ride are also spot on, that works for them.

So opt for your preference and enjoy.

Steve B
18s and VERY happy with the ride, it is perfect for what I want.

Who mentioned teeth!

Enough of this Horsing about!! the ride doesn't affect my teeth!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 247
Whilst I have commented regards the A2 being designed around 15" wheels and 205/40 R17 being lower profile than my colleague's Cayman S... I love the look of the 17s (albeit the offset is all wrong*) and much prefer how it drives over my winter set; I saw little benefit in the end swapping down to 205/50 R16.
Noise also plays a huge part in ride quality perception and I think that the A2 does transmit quite a lot into the cabin; most of this comes back to weight saving. Even switching to leather seats made a dramatic difference in cabin acoustics! Rubber mats will be going, in favour of carpet and I'm going to add some sound dampening panels to the doors.

*@Steve, what's your take on wheel spacers? I'd like to increase the offset of the OE 17" alloys but safety is of course paramount. 17" Bolero would be my ideal alloy but they're as rare as hens teeth.

To me, wheel spacers are best avoided, if possible ,but a small spacer is fine. 20mm is too much for me, anything less is ok but I still prefer to get the right wheels with the right ET if possible.

but the small spacers with the right wheel bolt should be fine.

I couldn't agree more about the cabin noise, it transforms the feeling of the ride when you don't get rattles and squeaks over bumps. So just emptying the cubby holes and door pockets do strangely improve the quality of the ride.

I currently have cheap tyres on the project and man are they noisy.
so when these start to wear I will be spending a fair amount on a decent set of tyres.

Steve B

Last edited:
Had the suspension/wheels tyres checked today and all healthy! Been to the dentist and all teeth cracked!! lol
Decision time soon wheels/tyres/suspension debate... Ta for all excellent info. Conclusion is that Audi got it wrong with the set up somehow!! Looks aint everything!!Feel better now though cos just been dealing with someone who has a new Audi Q3 and its never away from dealers!!

Thing to bear in mind is that it's still an Audi, it might have been sold as a super-mini but suspension is 100% Audi in character; I don't know why anyone buys anything other than SE, S-Line in particular (from experience) couldn't be less compliant and that was a Q7!
A lot of us are happy on 17s but 195/55 R15 with a high speed rating might be the best starting point.
N.B, were the springs removed when checking everything? I don't see any other way to confirm the health of the rubber seats; these do wear and will have taken a beating on 17s -- new ones will dampen some of the higher frequency knocks.

Last edited:
My recently-acquired FSI Sport is also pretty punishing around town. Whilst I'd prefer to keep it original, I'm planning to try some steel VW ET38 6J steel wheels with 195/55R15s - with (assuming they fit the wheels and I can find some) these:

22867.jpg

Back