door mirror removal

adrian

Past Member
Hi there, I have at last sprayed my silver 1.4 tdi roof and roof bars black, well Vulcan black which is really dark metallic grey, looks amazing, has transformed the looks. however I have now decided to now spray the door mirrors the same. my problem is removing the mirrors themselves to remove the mirror body I believe there is a tool numbered 80-200 to remove the mirror from the inside to access the removal screws, does anyone know the dimensions of this tool or if anything else will remove the mirror without breaking it, or has anyone got this tool who would kindly loan it, according to the audi manual on the 'net this is a simple tool that releases the fastenings behind the mirror. any suggestions would be appreciated, I will add photos of the "Black top" if people are interested.
Thanks in anticipation, Adrian.

Can't help with the mirror query but from someone with chronic lacquer peel mainly on the roof, I'd love to see the roof and the process you went through.

you need to remove the mirror glass, the two tx20s underneath and then the three tx15s behind holding the motor in place.

No special tools needed.

Which manual is this from?

- Bret

Hi Brett, the info to replace mirror glass and to remove mirror cover for re-spray is from emanuals on line it seems they are what audi workshops use but like any manuals they assume the user has had other training to be able read them fully so certain bits are not covered. the manual says the tool releases a clip behind the mirror glass there doesn't seem to any other way to remove the tx screws as they are directly behind the glass. have you actually removed the glass. I will add pictures of the paint job a.s.a.p.
Regards Adrian

Hi Brett, the info to replace mirror glass and to remove mirror cover for re-spray is from emanuals on line it seems they are what audi workshops use but like any manuals they assume the user has had other training to be able read them fully so certain bits are not covered. the manual says the tool releases a clip behind the mirror glass there doesn't seem to any other way to remove the tx screws as they are directly behind the glass. have you actually removed the glass. I will add pictures of the paint job a.s.a.p.
Regards Adrian

Hi,

the mirror and glass look like this when removed:

DSC03331.jpg

The back of the glass clips onto the circular plate of the motorised adjuster using a number of notched lug clips around the edge of the circle.

There isn't really a (single) clip to release which would require a special tool and you would not be able to access all the clips with a tool as they are all round the edge.

When I have removed the glass I move the mirror adjustment such that the outer edge of the glass is as far out of the housing as it can go and then insert a plastic tool in the gap between the glass and housing to gently prise the glass out. Some mirrors have been clipped on very firmly and some not so.

regards

Andrew

My mirror motor had the mountings damaged when the mirror glass was removed by the painter.

I had to buy a new motor (not cheap)

but the glass should come off without any special tools but try to make sure that you get it off evenly and not just prising it off from one end.

Steve B

My mirror motor had the mountings damaged when the mirror glass was removed by the painter.

I had to buy a new motor

Steve B

I had a similar problem with the mirror pulling the motor to pieces when it was prised off. So care needs to be taken. A better purchase on the mirror can be obtained when the underside plate has been removed.

A replacement motor was easy as they are common across much of the VAG range and many on ebay.

Geoff

I had to buy a new motor (not cheap)

but the glass should come off without any special tools but try to make sure that you get it off evenly and not just prising it off from one end.

Steve B

Good point. The reason behind moving the motor to the end of the travel when removing the glass was to cause it to push against the end stop rather than the motor gears when prising off the glass, and to open up a larger gap to insert the tool. Doing so however would still put strain on the pivots which could be damaged if the glass is clipped firmly.

The instructions for the "special tool" suggest it is used to push the glass off the mount so it must be prising between the motor plate and the mirror glass and so not straining the mechanism which happens when prising between the glass and the cowl.
I may try making a tool out of metal next time I need to remove the glass.

regards

Andrew

it may be more fiddlesome a possibly not work out, but you could just wet flat the mirrors wile on the car the use the remote to adjust the mirror to its furthest extremes and work your way around the glass then once all prep is done give the mirror a good wash out with pannel wipe. then find another bolt alot longer than stock and space it out from the car with washers ect to add an inch or 2, tighten losely so held in place and mask up and paint with someone in the car adjusting the mirror as you go so you get a good coat all the way round without risking braking the glass or motor

Gary

That may be the final solution although not the best as it would be awkward to spray all around the cover. it may be the best of two evils

I don't understand the issue with the clips. I must have had both mirror glasses off my car at least 10 times each side and they're fine.

Don't do it when it's cold (brittle plastics) and don't force anything.

Replacement non-heated glass is not expensive, even heated isn't too bad.

- Bret

I have seen the rod from the motor break on mirror glass removal before

I have seen the rod from the motor break on mirror glass removal before

I broke the white rod on mine, because I followed the instructions saying 'just pull the glass out' :)
Had to fix it with the silicone glue and it worked fine. Replaced the whole thing later with the guts from chb's mirror :)

mirror1.jpg

Take the bottom off and release two bottom hooks from behind the mirror, while gently pulling the mirror out. It's easy to get inn with the small screwdriver from the bottom and you won't damage anything. With the bottom hooks released, it's easy to pull the mirror out, the upper two hooks will not break.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, will have ago this week and let you all know the out come.
Regards Adrian.

Hi Adrian,
Nice to hear you have sprayed your roof. It is something I've been thinking about since my daughter got a A2 with open sky roof. It looked great from above, all being one colour from windscreen to back window. I would like to have my roof sprayed and the rear spoiler. Do you have a colour number reference? Does it roughly match the glass colour? Have you got a picture yet?.
Thanks in anticipation,
paul

After you have removed the mirror glass, unscrew the three black screws holding the internals attached to the back of the mirror.
Then unhook the mirror housing at the joint - there's only a plastic hook holding the bottom and the top together now, but the connection is strong. Better to release the top gently from the bottom, it's easy to break the top at that spot.

I posted some photos somewhere, I think...

Back