Washer fluid outlet problem

poltheball

A2OC Donor
Ayup

Bit of a nightmare here - when I got cruise fitted, the garage tried to do me a favour by popping the plastic sill at the bottom of the windscreen back in to place as it was sitting proud of the screen - this cracked the windscreen, so they duly did me a full replacement on the screen FOC (thanks Awesome!). However, when the screen was fitted the (third party) bloke left one of my windscreen washers disconnected. It's an absolute pain to try and get working, as one of them was snapped at the join of black plastic squirter/tube at some point and then bodged with tape. I can't for the life of me get enough space to try and replicate this bodge as the plastic is now bonded to the windscreen at one side, and I can't get in far enough by popping the rubber engine bay seal off and lifting the free side.

Any ideas as to how I can get at it to reattach easily, bearing in mind it's not a simple "pop the noodle head in the hole" job as there's a snapped component? If the above doesn't make sense, I can take some photos to illustrate. Still not solved that water leak I posted about a few days ago, so will try and find the time to dive under the car and get some photos of that too.

Out of interest, is anyone selling a pipe/nozzle, and would this be easy to fit? It's the nearside, so the shorter of the two hoses, although I'm assuming the offside washer is spliced from the same tube further upstream as I'm getting hardly anything through that just now (washer fluid clearly taking path of least resistance).

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

I had my screen replaced not quite two years ago and they also managed to break tubes. I've "fixed" it with glue-lined heatshrink x 2.

- Bret

I had my screen replaced not quite two years ago and they also managed to break tubes. I've "fixed" it with glue-lined heatshrink x 2.

- Bret

So the whole thing under the screen should be removed before the screen replacement, as I understand!
Good to know!

I remember the guy in Germany removed the wiper arm(s), the rubber seal, lifted the plastic, detached the hoses and took the whole thing off in 2 minutes.

There is no magic fix but the English and German guides on replacing washer jets may help - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?3422-Fitting-Audi-twin-windscreen-washer-jets
And the parts diagram - http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a2-a2-eu-2002-95510-windscreen-washer-system/

For info, washer jets are about £4 each

Cheers Spike

Thanks for that Spike, I'll maybe get in a new washer jet, that should solve the snapped component issue and make it easier to reconnect.

Cheers chaps

Where are they available for £4 each? More expensive than that on eBay just now, some joker is asking £25 for two..

Audi dealer prices I've seen (may be out of date) for early 'mist spray' jets is £4 each, later jet spray (from 2003 model year) £8 each and heated version £22 each

Always worth checking dealer price before buying off ebay as sometimes its amazing how cheap genuine parts are. (sadly not too often)

Let us know what the accurate price is if you check with Audi.

Cheers Spike

Audi dealer prices I've seen (may be out of date) for early 'mist spray' jets is £4 each, later jet spray (from 2003 model year) £8 each and heated version £22 each

Always worth checking dealer price before buying off ebay as sometimes its amazing how cheap genuine parts are. (sadly not too often)

Let us know what the accurate price is if you check with Audi.

Cheers Spike

Just come off the phone to Stoke Audi - £3.67 for one earlier style mist jet.

Ordered in, should hopefully solve my problem...

Just come off the phone to Stoke Audi - £3.67 for one earlier style mist jet.

Ordered in, should hopefully solve my problem...

does the mist-style jet solve the problem of the other ones soaking the bottom of the windscreen and squirting over the top of it but not actually hitting the massive pane of glass?

does the mist-style jet solve the problem of the other ones soaking the bottom of the windscreen and squirting over the top of it but not actually hitting the massive pane of glass?

I've had a bit of a problem with this in the past with these washers; to clarify, I have the ones that are only adjustable up/down, NOT the pin-adjustable ones that squirt four jets out.

There is definitely a sweet spot, but they can be pretty frustrating to set up.. Also factor in the huge wiper arm that blocks the washer fluid path for half of its sweep.. Audi could really have done with coming up with an arm-mounted washer system, such that the fluid was injected directly above/below the sweep of the arm as it moved.

Ho-hum..

I changed from the early mist style because the atomised spray seemed to blow everywhere but on the screen if there was any sort of cross wind. Certainly find the later jets get more washer fluid where it's needed, and they are more adjustable.
The later jet units are handed and I've heard that even the factory sometimes got their 'right and left' mixed up.

Cheers Spike

Does anyone know if the wiring is present and a simple plug-and-play heated water jet upgrade is possible (like the heated mirrors)?
One of my jets is refusing to work and seeing as winter is coming, i might do a upgrade if it's not a huge investment.

Does anyone know if the wiring is present and a simple plug-and-play heated water jet upgrade is possible (like the heated mirrors)?
One of my jets is refusing to work and seeing as winter is coming, i might do a upgrade if it's not a huge investment.

The wiring is not present but Bret posted a link (post 17) to a German 'how to' guide in this thread - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21081-Heated-washer-jets-retrofit&highlight=heated+washer

Cheers Spike

Back