Service flap not opening

redbull_a2

A2OC Donor
Tried to open the service flap today but the release handle has disconnected from the latch, I tried the latch on its own and still nothing. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Try have someone pull the latch while you pull the flap
Yes, and try moving the bonnet slightly from one side to the other to make sure it is central.
The cabke operated catch is fixed to the cross member and the plastic hook is attached to the flap, so if the bonnet is put back on slightly off centre the catch will not fully release

steve B

mine sticks all the time... i need to use a bit of force to open the flap.

when its open i can see that the little metal barrel catch sticks in its 'holder' and needs a bit of grease to free it. doesnt stop it sticking the next time i need to get in there tho!

I'm loosing patience...

Can I just rip it open to put more screen wash in and deal with consequences later?

Like put Velcro on it? Ha ha...

The alarm possibly won't arm unless the "wedge" stays in the lock/switch.

The service flap is alarmed?

Or are you referring to the handle for it in the cabin sliding in and out?

It appears my handle in cabin is not connected to anything hence flap outside not opening...

Is there a "manual override " for the service flap like the fuel door?

It was hanging unlocked previously and had no issues with alarm

I've since pressed it in to lock closed and now realised there is no unlatching it in the traditional way

Ah aha aha

I'm loosing patience...

Can I just rip it open to put more screen wash in and deal with consequences later?

Like put Velcro on it? Ha ha...

i had that problem recently. Just get someone to pull the handle and keep it there and push down on the flap and use force.

Obviously that is a last option but if it really won't open this should work and in my case no damage was caused.

One thing to try try first is to try and give the area between the headlamp and flap a tap with the side / palm of your hand.
The bonnet has to be seated correctly to get the flap "hook" in the right position to open.

Steve B

It's just me here at the moment so nobody to pull handle for me...

I had a feel around under handle and it moves freely in and out and there appears to be nothing attached to the end of it that I would expect... like a cable or rod etc...

It might have come loose and slipped into hole into engine bay or is gone forever?

They don't connect directly to a cable you should be able to feel a very short lever that clips into the sliding handle.
You may be able to operate that lever with your hand even if you don't manage to connect it to the sliding handle.

Steve B

Hi OldSchool,

I had exactly your problem a couple of days ago with my recently aquired FSI.
Luckily the flap would open a little (~8mm) with moderate force and I wedged it open with apiece of wood.
Wasted my time for half an hour using screwdrivers etc trying to release but to no avail. Then thought I would take this more
seriously and inspect the locking mechanism on my other FSI. Now I could see exactly what force where would release the catch and made a 'lock pick' from a wire coat hanger. It looked like a double ended Allan key in three dimensions.
Within seconds click pop and I was in.

I can post more detail if required if other methods fail but it does depend on having a small gap to begin with.
This was a smooth flap version, is yours and have you a gap at the top?

Offering hope - Andy

Hi OldSchool,

I had exactly your problem a couple of days ago with my recently aquired FSI.
Luckily the flap would open a little (~8mm) with moderate force and I wedged it open with apiece of wood.
Wasted my time for half an hour using screwdrivers etc trying to release but to no avail. Then thought I would take this more
seriously and inspect the locking mechanism on my other FSI. Now I could see exactly what force where would release the catch and made a 'lock pick' from a wire coat hanger. It looked like a double ended Allan key in three dimensions.
Within seconds click pop and I was in.

I can post more detail if required if other methods fail but it does depend on having a small gap to begin with.
This was a smooth flap version, is yours and have you a gap at the top?

Offering hope - Andy

ah ah... brilliant minds think alike... i was thinking something like this was possible... there is a gap and I was thinking to myself if i could nudge the locky bit it would pop open...

i have a wire hanger i can sacrifice for this... do you push from the left side to the right side? i can't recall what the thing looks like argh...

so a small screwdriver didn't work?

how did you shape your hanger?

ah ah... brilliant minds think alike... i was thinking something like this was possible... there is a gap and I was thinking to myself if i could nudge the locky bit it would pop open...

i have a wire hanger i can sacrifice for this... do you push from the left side to the right side? i can't recall what the thing looks like argh...

so a small screwdriver didn't work?

how did you shape your hanger?
These may help you
e826436d6a6eb35d2ce3bdf3c98ed2d3.jpg
673aa265fe0b78a61d303ed6cf7fca2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Hi Again,

I just used a coat hanger get from a dry cleaners, quite thin and bent it with pliers. Thicker would be better but need a vice to form. One right angle with 25mm leg, up 75mm and another right angle perpendicular to the first. Once inserted press towards the windscreen to engage with the latch and at the same time pull towards the near side to withdraw the catch.

On a job a the moment but will post some pics at tea time.

Andy

I had the same i just pulled it as hard as i could it doesn't break it will open i did this several times and it didn't break i then used a philips screwdriver and moved the clip on the flap it opens everytime now

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Evening OldSchool

Pics as promised but I see Colin has kindly provided same but I will put mine up any way.

Reading my last post I realised I was using the words latch and catch interchangeably. My lock vocab
is lacking! but I do not really know the difference, so forgive me if I misuse them but the pics should clarify my intention.

Apologies for the poor pics but done in a hurry.

First the catch you are trying to release

SAM_3361.JPG

and in a wider context

SAM_3362.JPG

The catch is about 50mm left of centre.

The catch moves sideways as shown next depressed by a flat bladed screwdriver

SAM_3363.JPG

The latch as it is about to engage

SAM_3371.JPG

A close up of the latch

SAM_3366.JPG

My lock pick made from a coat hanger. Only the bottom 6" matter the rest is the original shape bent
to avoid the bonnet,

SAM_3370.JPG

and where it has to SAM_3369.JPG

Engage the end of the pick with the slope of the catch and push and pull as my last post.

Hope you win.

Andy

Last edited:
Help help, but what if I can't get the service flap open at all 🕵️‍♂️

I already made a hook from the hanger (Thanks @Andrew for the pics), but it doesn't help if I can't open it.
The cable feels loose from the cockpit. I suspect that the service flap is stuck ... or the wire has fallen from the bracket(s).

Can anyone help me how to force open the hood? Any "service shop" or should it be the real deal A2 pro? 😅

Thanks again.

Br Vesa

Back