Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Service flap not opening

It's just me here at the moment so nobody to pull handle for me...

I had a feel around under handle and it moves freely in and out and there appears to be nothing attached to the end of it that I would expect... like a cable or rod etc...

It might have come loose and slipped into hole into engine bay or is gone forever?
    Current: 2001 A2 TDI Grey
    Old: 2003 A2 1.6 FSI Cobalt Blue

They don't connect directly to a cable you should be able to feel a very short lever that clips into the sliding handle.
    You may be able to operate that lever with your hand even if you don't manage to connect it to the sliding handle.

Steve B

Thank I'll dive down there again and see if I can spot it...

Hi OldSchool,

I had exactly your problem a couple of days ago with my recently aquired FSI.
    Luckily the flap would open a little (~8mm) with moderate force and I wedged it open with apiece of wood.
    Wasted my time for half an hour using screwdrivers etc trying to release but to no avail. Then thought I would take this more
    seriously and inspect the locking mechanism on my other FSI. Now I could see exactly what force where would release the catch and made a 'lock pick' from a wire coat hanger. It looked like a double ended Allan key in three dimensions.
    Within seconds click pop and I was in.

I can post more detail if required if other methods fail but it does depend on having a small gap to begin with.
    This was a smooth flap version, is yours and have you a gap at the top?

Offering hope - Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Hi OldSchool,

I had exactly your problem a couple of days ago with my recently aquired FSI.
    Luckily the flap would open a little (~8mm) with moderate force and I wedged it open with apiece of wood.
    Wasted my time for half an hour using screwdrivers etc trying to release but to no avail. Then thought I would take this more
    seriously and inspect the locking mechanism on my other FSI. Now I could see exactly what force where would release the catch and made a 'lock pick' from a wire coat hanger. It looked like a double ended Allan key in three dimensions.
    Within seconds click pop and I was in.

I can post more detail if required if other methods fail but it does depend on having a small gap to begin with.
    This was a smooth flap version, is yours and have you a gap at the top?

Offering hope - Andy
    ah ah... brilliant minds think alike... i was thinking something like this was possible... there is a gap and I was thinking to myself if i could nudge the locky bit it would pop open...

i have a wire hanger i can sacrifice for this... do you push from the left side to the right side? i can't recall what the thing looks like argh...

so a small screwdriver didn't work?

how did you shape your hanger?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    ah ah... brilliant minds think alike... i was thinking something like this was possible... there is a gap and I was thinking to myself if i could nudge the locky bit it would pop open...

i have a wire hanger i can sacrifice for this... do you push from the left side to the right side? i can't recall what the thing looks like argh...

so a small screwdriver didn't work?

how did you shape your hanger?
    These may help you

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    A2 Silver 2003 1.4 TDi 75 bhp Sport, OSS working, illuminated vanity mirrors, Sports Seats Black Leather interior, Drivers Information System, Electric windows front and rear, False boot liner, chorus radio / 6 cd player in boot, Bench rear Seat.
    Lumber support. Private Plate.

7. Users that liked this post:

Rich2508 (18-05-2017)

Hi Again,

I just used a coat hanger get from a dry cleaners, quite thin and bent it with pliers. Thicker would be better but need a vice to form. One right angle with 25mm leg, up 75mm and another right angle perpendicular to the first. Once inserted press towards the windscreen to engage with the latch and at the same time pull towards the near side to withdraw the catch.

On a job a the moment but will post some pics at tea time.

Andy

I had the same i just pulled it as hard as i could it doesn't break it will open i did this several times and it didn't break i then used a philips screwdriver and moved the clip on the flap it opens everytime now

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Evening OldSchool

Pics as promised but I see Colin has kindly provided same but I will put mine up any way.

Reading my last post I realised I was using the words latch and catch interchangeably. My lock vocab
    is lacking! but I do not really know the difference, so forgive me if I misuse them but the pics should clarify my intention.

Apologies for the poor pics but done in a hurry.

First the catch you are trying to release

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_3361.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	553.8 KB 
ID:	29107

and in a wider context

Name:	SAM_3362.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	540.6 KB 
ID:	29108

The catch is about 50mm left of centre.

The catch moves sideways as shown next depressed by a flat bladed screwdriver

Name:	SAM_3363.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	533.7 KB 
ID:	29109

The latch as it is about to engage

Name:	SAM_3371.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	512.1 KB 
ID:	29110

A close up of the latch

Name:	SAM_3366.JPG 
Size:	510.7 KB 
ID:	29111

My lock pick made from a coat hanger. Only the bottom 6" matter the rest is the original shape bent
    to avoid the bonnet,

Name:	SAM_3370.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	508.7 KB 
ID:	29112

and where it has to Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_3369.JPG 
Size:	515.7 KB 
ID:	29113

Engage the end of the pick with the slope of the catch and push and pull as my last post.

Hope you win.

Andy
    Last edited by Andrew; 18-05-2017 at 06:18 PM.

11. Users that liked this post:

OldSchool (18-05-2017)