intermittant knocking noise (around windscreen?) after hitting deep pothole

low

Hi

We hit a large pothole the other night, it was dark and here was very heavy rain. There was no noise as such from the A2 for about a mile and then all of a sudden there was a knocking noise that seemed to come from around windscreen or maybe where dash meets windscreen. We pulled over and checked everything but couldn't find anything obvious. Got back into the car and nothing - no noise, at least for a few days. It seems to come and go. No other noises or knocks from the car, droplinks etc are good. This doesn't sound like the usual suspension noise it does sound like something knocking against glass. Checked for cracks etc to windscreen but nothing apparent.

Has anyone else experienced symptoms like this. Its impossible to diagnose exactly where the sound comes from and as mentioned it is intermittent

thanks in advance
Low

If it is the bonnet, you can buy a pair of new bonnet guides for £3 the pair.

8Z0823417A x 2 bonnet plastic holders £3

My money is on the windscreen wiper arm is worn and the hinged end is tapping on the screen. Do you have the later style "floppy wiper" they ofen wear on the end and that causes the rubber "nipple" to break off (it's there to dampen the fall of the wiper arm when cleaning). Many owners have found at their cost that if the arm is dropped when washing the car that the screen cracks from the impact.
As a fix you can bent the arm to give more clearance but only until the hinges wear more. Cheers Mike

I'll second that. I've had a similar issue where the rubber thingy fell off, which caused the wiper hinge to make a nice scratch in the screen. Some brute force on the bit connecting the blade and the arm has meant that since then there has been no issue.

Hi

I had a quick look at mine at lunchtime (its my sons car that ha the issue) and I don't see any rubber "nipple". I was just wondering if someone could post a picture of it, I take it that the area where it is housed is at the end of the arm at the joint just behind the center of the floppy wiper

Is it easy to get a replacement part for this?

regards
Liam

I agree with Mike that the wiper is the probable culprit.
The rubber nipple is part of the wiper arm assembly and is not available separately.
I have repaired an old arm by sticking a small grommet to the underside - there are pics on the forum somewhere.
If the pivot points on the arm are worn, perhaps consider replacing the arm itself.

blue skies
tony

+1.

Worthwhile changing sooner rather than later - as Mike says, this has resulted in broken windscreens before.

Sorry o9ld thread, but did you get to the bottom of this Liam? My TDI has developed an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from where the windscreen meets the dashboard on the drivers side. Disappears when travelling at speed but annoying as hell when in lower gears. Have checked the bonnet hinges and the wiper blade etc, byt noise is still there when wiper is up and bonnet is off. Windscreen has replaced at start of September, but seems well fitted on inspection...ahhhh!

Sorry o9ld thread, but did you get to the bottom of this Liam? My TDI has developed an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from where the windscreen meets the dashboard on the drivers side. Disappears when travelling at speed but annoying as hell when in lower gears. Have checked the bonnet hinges and the wiper blade etc, byt noise is still there when wiper is up and bonnet is off. Windscreen has replaced at start of September, but seems well fitted on inspection...ahhhh!

It is almost certainly the drop links on your Anti Roll bar.

The noise from that often sounds like it is inside the car even and a very clear rattle.

Steve B

Thanks Steve,

Will get the wheel off and investigate. Keen to get all the niggles with this new to me Audi sorted so that I can fully enjoy it.

Thanks Steve,

Will get the wheel off and investigate. Keen to get all the niggles with this new to me Audi sorted so that I can fully enjoy it.
Hi, yes a knocking however small can be annoying.

But one thing to remember is that if you jack up the car you put the drop link under tension and you wouldn’t feel any play easily.

It is best with the car on level ground or with both front wheels equally off the floor.

Steve B

Last edited:
or better still remove the lower end of the drop link such that there is no load on it then have a good push / pull on drop link and the knuckle end that you have just removed.
I fitted some 'ebay specials' and after a week or less the knocking was evident again (it do go away when first fitted), but believing it was the drop links had failed so soon I went down several blind alleys so to speak until I disconnected the lower drop link mounting. It did not take much push / pull to find the problem :eek:
Replaced with myle HD drop links and never had a noise from them since. The HD ones are SOOOO much beefier than the ebay crap I first fitted

Most MOT testers don't pick up on worn drop links either

cheers

Managed to find the source of the noise in the end. After checking lots of other bits and bobs in the end the noise was caused by the metal clamp that secures the water drainage pipe at the bottom of the windscreen. Back enjoying some nice and peaceful driving again!

Managed to find the source of the noise in the end. After checking lots of other bits and bobs in the end the noise was caused by the metal clamp that secures the water drainage pipe at the bottom of the windscreen. Back enjoying some nice and peaceful driving again!
i was expecting to solve my knocking noise with your hint...but in the end my clamp is very far from everything so it can't be responsible for that intermittent and veryyyy annoying sound ?

Last edited:
Back