Ticking starter motor

Stevealdridge

A2OC Donor
Hi, in the old days, if your starter motor ticked when you were trying to start your car, it meant you had a dodgy starter motor or your battery was shot. Having changed both, I am left with the same problem, the starter will not even turn over.does anyone have any advice or suggestions, anyone else experienced this?
Thanks.
Steve.

Hi Steve,

You could try cleaning the starter motor earth cable, which is situated behind the passenger headlight. This has been known to cause starting problems with members before. To access it, disconnect the battery, remove the passenger headlight and the ABS pump connector and you will see it. It is secured with a 13mm bolt, so remove this and clean it with emery cloth or similar before replacing. There's more information here.

Hopefully this will help. :)

Matt.

Yes its practically guaranteed to be the earth cable. Happened to me in November last year. I'd already replaced my battery as it was still on the factory fitted one 11 years on, we too replaced the starter before realising what was amiss but the parts place took it back no problem.

Got round to it this morning, in the rain!! Got the strap off, cleaned it up, also checked the +ve in the boot and tightened that.
It started first time, so thanks for the very useful advice lads, I was starting to get frustrated, as you do when nothing you try works!
Cheers
Steve.

Got round to it this morning, in the rain!! Got the strap off, cleaned it up, also checked the +ve in the boot and tightened that.
It started first time, so thanks for the very useful advice lads, I was starting to get frustrated, as you do when nothing you try works!

Excellent news, Steve. :p

I'm glad this is fixed for you.

Matt.

Back