Dash Lit-up - Codes 01314 & 17861. More Problems Hidden?

Philip

Just had the ABS, ASR and big red exclamation mark appear - the only fault codes stored are 17861 (EGT sensor short) and 01314 (ECU - DTC memory). The EGT sensor fault has appeared before, but without the dash lights - it hadn't reoccurred since I first cleared it.

As fate dictates, I'm over 300 miles from home - car appears to be running OK (has had a very slight hesitation/wavering at around 2000rpm since I bought it; I changed oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter and plugs last week).

Am I likely to be stranded by the seemingly-innocuous intermittent EGT fault, or do I need VCDS to tell me what's really wrong?

Cleared the fault code - no reoccurrences in another hundred miles or so. Not sure which part of German logic requires the dash to predict Armageddon for an intermittent EGT sensor fault.

Hi Phillip,

I'm sorry that nobody replied to you initially.

It's good to hear that the engine fault codes have been cleared and that the car is well again.

Regarding the ABS, ASR and exclamation mark lights showing, these are usually related to a fault within the braking or steering modules of the car. Due to the intermittent nature of some faults, a simple ignition on-off may clear the dash lights, but there will still be a fault code stored under the relevant controller. I assume you're not using any form of VCDS or VAG-COM for diagnostics? Most non VAG diagnostic machines only scan the engine module as far as I know, and so may not pick up faults with other modules. If the lights come on again, I would recommend a scan with VCDS to highlight exactly what is wrong.

It's certainly possible for the A2 to have a one-time occurrence of the three lights flashing on the dash. My own car once reported that a wheel speed sensor had failed, causing the lights to illuminate and the power steering to cut out. A restart cleared the lights and the fault hasn't come back since. Very strange.

Hope this helps. :)

Matt.

Matt - thanks, I'm using a Vgate VS450 code reader which seems fairly comprehensive in the modules it scans - certainly, it hasn't shown any codes stored by the ABS module. I understood that the ASR, ABS and brake exclamation mark lights could illuminate in the presence of other faults - the only reoccurring fault code stored is a heater potentiometer flap problem by the HVAC module.

I'll rescan again in the morning before it's used.

Had the same problem again - a hesitation under load (more a momentary engine cut out rather than a misfire), then the dash lights up. There's no further effect on the running of the car, and turning the ignition off and on clears the lights. The only fault code stored is for an intermittent EGT sensor short (I have a replacement on the way), which I'm fairly certain isn't causing the problem.

It only happens under load and I haven't found a way of making it happen - other than this, and a slight drop in idle speed on a hot start (I'm intending to clean the throttle body) the car runs perfectly.

Any ideas?

For anyone who’s also had the 01314 code (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01314), I eventually cured the problem with a new throttle body. VCDS indicated no faults but the ABS ECU - DTC Memory code; however a professional Bosch diagnostic tester flagged a throttle body issue and since replacement the problem has not reoccurred.

Back