Mileage keeps rising! now 228 000 miles (366930 Km)

FourtyRoy

A2OC Donor
I like to pop up from time to time to see just what mileage some of A2's have done!

My little TDi has now done 228K miles and still chugging away! Yes I've got annoying snags but this weekend I've done a round trip from Crawley to Preston (over 500 miles) and returned 72mpg!

Anybody out there running close to this?

Regards

Roy

Thats great to hear Roy

What is your servicing schedule like? What major parts have you had to replace?

Ooo, you're getting close to lunar mileage! The average distance from the surface of the earth to the surface of the moon is 233,817 miles. I'll be sure to take a photo when my car's odometer reaches this figure, though that's a good few years away.

Cheers,

Tom

Thats great to hear Roy

What is your servicing schedule like? What major parts have you had to replace?

Yes good question. Realistically - having just hit 100k I can't see my A2 ever getting to such impressive mileage count as it'll be retired to hobby car status in the next year or two. It would however be good to have some experienced views on what's worn out after 200k.

I'm predicting there will be no real surprises though. I've quoted a family members A4 in the past that was owned from new and sold after 10 years and 250k on the original exhaust and clutch. Apart from service parts suspension and cambelts the only niggles were some gremlins in the electrics and the climate control didn't work.

There could be age related issues we've yet to encounter now we're well into the second decade - but for the most part so far so good for the A2 and the 3 pot TDI

Ooo, you're getting close to lunar mileage! The average distance from the surface of the earth to the surface of the moon is 233,817 miles. I'll be sure to take a photo when my car's odometer reaches this figure, though that's a good few years away.

Cheers,

Tom

If I get to that mileage in the A2 I will be OVER the moon (and certainly over the hill)

Steve B

My 1.4 Petrol has now done 176,000 miles. Still going and get about 40mpg (guesstimate). I did have an A4 1.8T Quattro that had done 306,000 miles. Audi's if looked after will keep on going.

Nice to hear your A2 is going strong.

Cheers,

Tom

It works out that if you were to (theoretically of course) DRIVE your A2 to the moon at 70 mph (without stopping) it would only take you just about 4 and a half months to get there!!! That is less than I would have imagined.

Nice comparison Tom, it does put it all into perspective.

Steve B

My 1.4 Petrol has now done 176,000 miles. Still going and get about 40mpg (guesstimate). I did have an A4 1.8T Quattro that had done 306,000 miles. Audi's if looked after will keep on going.

Nice to hear your A2 is going strong.

That's good to know, I was always worried about how many miles petrol A2 old do, my A2 petrol is on 132k

Cheers,

Tom

It'll take a few light years for mine to reach that milestone I'm afraid but it's great to hear the feedback from everyone, I've just tipped over 27,000 so must change my signature lol!

It'll take a few light years for mine to reach that milestone...

Whilst I know what you mean, the pedantic physicist in me has to point out that a light year is a measurement of distance rather than time. If anyone's car covers a light year, I definitely want a photo of the odometer. The figure you're looking for is 5878625370000 miles. :)

Tom

Whilst I know what you mean, the pedantic physicist in me has to point out that a light year is a measurement of distance rather than time. If anyone's car covers a light year, I definitely want a photo of the odometer. The figure you're looking for is 5878625370000 miles. :)

Tom

Yes I knew that Tom, just testing lol

I've clocked 153k so far in my TDI - average MPG for the last 5 years according to Fuelly is 60.1. Best ever single tank was last week at just over 72MPG.

Hi guys

My A2 1.4 petrol is at 197407 as of today.
I don't drive it much lately as I have been made redundant 2 months ago. I used to drive between 700 and 1000 miles a week with an average of 44mpg (calculated).
I love driving my car but can't afford driving around with no reason.
I still try to take care of it, just spent £245 to replace the thermostat housing and all hoses related. No more coolant leak!

Hi Everyone

In response to some of the earlier comments I will try and cast my mind to what major items have been replaced. Well not a lot really! Same Exhaust, Clutch, Turbo, Battery etc. Cambelt changed every 60 000 miles (with water pump as you would expect).

Over the past 3 or 4 years I had the bearing that sits under the spring/strut on the offside seize and caused the spring to start turning with the steering (as well as a horrible noise) so front suspension was sorted out, had trouble changing gears and there was wear on the cable assembly so had this replaced which was not cheap as a chunk of labour needed.

Current Snags or annoyances! - Starter motor has always made a funny noise when it disengages but has never failed, problem with the loom / connector on the brake pad wear sensor (near side) so always in alarm (annoying so I don't see the outside air temp!), the drivers door light switch has failed which is integral and not adjustable so is not straightforward or cheap to replace so currently inhibits the fuel flap opener which means I have to use the manual release in the boot! and have no lights on reminder as part of the same circuit! Furnishings and switch markings are getting tired as to be expected.

All said and done one can't complain for a car that is 13 years old with the said mileage!!

Regards

Roy

I find that especially impressive. I think from 1998-2006 Audi really did have it spot on with build quality.

Yes completely agree. A little earlier but the reason I'm a VAG convert was the standard of the 1997 A4 my cousin bought new. Totally different class. It was like a Rolls Royce compared to the wee Peugeot I drove at the time. I was instantly hooked although it took me 4 years to buy one of my own.

I don't see that massive difference any more in the 'mainstream' marques. Maybe others have upped their game!

I don't see that massive difference any more in the 'mainstream' marques. Maybe others have upped their game!

I think whilst manufactuers like Ford and Vauxhall have certainly improved their build quality (it wasn't hard) I think lower end VAG cars are now manufactured to lower standards. When I had my bump last year I was given a fresh from the showroom 2014 Polo as a courtesy car and the build quality was quite poor in comparision with our A2's. It felt very plasticky and everything felt that it had been produced with cost savings in mind. For example, under the handbrake I could see the rough edge cut of the carpet and the metal floorpan underneath.

Another point, is it just me or do most family hatchbacks now all look the same? Renault Megane/Ford Focus/Kia Cee'd especially. I sometimes struggle to tell them apart from a distance. Makes me love driving the A2 even more.

My 2001 TDI is now on 220,000

Any issues over what's been discussed already? This could become a valuable thread to link when people ask advice when a bit concerned about buying a high mileage A2.

Does anyone else have an A2 with an impressive mileage. Please post your experiences and any repairs you've had to cover outside of routine servicing.

Last edited:
No big issues, i shouldn't have said that should i.... .

i have had the car since 114,000 before that just a stamped up service book.

I have replaced

Rear springs - weak
Outer CV joint
Heater motor
Cooling / Air con fan replaced
Alt. belt tensioner
Injector wiring loom
Brake drums and Discs
N/S lower wishbone bush
Track rod ends (gaiters split, not worn out)
N/S anti rollbar drop link (split gaiter )

As far as i know the Clutch and Turbo are original

Back