Wishbone balljoint

The wishbone rubber boots (lower balljoint) came up as an advisory on the car at the MOT. It's done 144k miles (1.4 TDI SE) 2002-3. Its the older cast wishbones, so I can't simply bolt new ones balljoints on. Found Meyle ones online. Just wondered if it's essential to replace the pressed rear rubber bush. From what I can see - it looks fine. The new wishbone come with the forward mount.

Meyle parts arrived today direct from Ireland. I'll post some pictures of this weekend's progress. Hopefully it stays dry.

Absolute pig of a job. What should be straight forward has now turned into a bit of a nightmare. Lower balljoint is spinning with the spanner, so the only way to get it to grip is to get an Allen key bit on it, except there's no clearance, so disc brake and pads need to come off, connecting suspension link arm to ARB, tie-rod and finally the drive-shaft. Except the drive-shaft isn't going anywhere. Even with the spines bolts off at the transmission end its stuck fast. Used an improvised tool to hammer it out, but it will need a 3-leg puller, and one that opens past 130mm. Would you believe I can't get one in Aberdeen? Got one on order, so job will need to be completed next weekend.

I'll also have to order a new hub bolt. These are one-use only. You need 36mm socket to remove.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Passenger side lower balljoint is off and I am trying to lever the wishbone out. Tried hammering at rubber bush end on exposed wishbone. Any tips to get it to budge? Can I heat the wishbone slightly? I've sprayed silicone spray on the rubber bush in the hope some of it penetrates.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 543
As you found, hammer blows are just absorbed by the rubber bush. You need to make a 'puller' to press the end of the wishbone out of the bush.
For another Audi model, I used threaded rod and some 6mm plate to knock one up.
Same applies when refitting. Again it can't be knocked in so I used one of those hand cramps, similar to this - http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-quick-grip-18-quick-change-bar-clamp/82300 - to squeeze the wishbone back into the bush. If you are buying one, measure up to make sure the distance between the jaws is wide enough and there is enough room to get it in place on the A2.

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike. I've ordered a three leg puller for the driver's side as the driveshaft is stuck solid. The hub is 130mm, but one of the hub pullers is 150mm so will be fine. Will need to make some sort of extraction tool as suggested for the passenger side.

If you have any pictures of the improvised puller I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 564
Weather cleared, so not to be put off I tackled the passenger side again. I've removed the console subframe after checking its position with a permanent marker. It's such an awkward thing it would be almost impossible to work on in situ. I'm going to drop it off at local garage to press out old wishbone. I could probably do it with pullers, but refitting will be a tough call.

Also made up a T40 bit on a spanner to removed the stuck nut (as per previous posts) on the driver's side lower ball joint, but after 30-40 minutes I gave up. Tried to get the angle grinder on it, but it's at a dangerous position. Also tried heat on it with the CV boot protected. Currently hack sawing it off! :mad:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 568
Last edited:
DSCF0833.JPGDSCF0834.JPG
This is my 'bodged' puller to push the end of the front wishbone out of the rubber bush. The original used longer bolts to allow a distance piece to be used to push the wishbone right through the bush.
On the particular Audi model (Q3) I used it on the bush and alloy mounting block which had to be removed while the wishbone stayed in place. The 3 leg puller I have could not be used due to space constraints

Cheers Spike

Great tool Spike.

I tried the driver's side hub tonight to push the driveshaft out and promptly threaded the 3-legged puller that I'd had my paws on for all of 10 minutes. Cheap Chinese copy. When will I ever learn.

Tried hacksawing through the exposed lower balljoint nut, but it's painfully slow. Also got heat on it and made some headway but still refusing to budge. Need to work away for a couple of days, so going to take the angle grinder to it on my return.

image.jpeg

A bit late to this, have you tried putting weight onto the ball joint. Put your trolley jack underneath and have the weight of the vehicle on the taper to tighten it?

Driver's side console out, but only after cutting the lower wishbone. The lower balljoint nut was seized on, and my improvised T40 torn tool and 10 junior hacksaw blades later and it was still stuck fast. That's when I introduced it to my Bosch angle grinder! :)

Driveshaft out too, as the CV joint was stuck fast. My local garage will release tonight for pick-up tomorrow at 10.00am. Looking forward to finishing this marathon job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 480
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 474
Job done. I've done most driveway jobs over the last 20 years, but these lower wishbones must rate as one of the worst jobs I've ever tackled. My back is sore, my hands and knees. It's a physically demanding job. If you're considering doing it, then accept your car could be out of action for 2-3 days. Nothing comes off that's meant to, and that's where an angle grinder comes in. I gave the new bolts a slip of red grease for the poor sod that tackles it after me.

Car now on 145k and feels nice to drive considering if replaced the top mounts, links, ARB bushes, springs and struts within the last couple of years.

Back