Wiring an amp to a Symphony 2

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
I’ve tried a forum search but haven’t come across the answer.

Are there output ports on the back of a Symphony 2 headunit to connect an aftermarket amplifier?

I like the sound quality and look of the standard headunit/speaker set-up but would like a little more bass.

Any advice greatly received.

Steve

Thanks. So there isn't actually an output at the back of the headunit then, you had to splice the speaker outputs from the ISO connectors?

Hi Steve,

The black 20-pin miniISO connector houses the head unit's preouts. Assuming your car currently does not have Bose but does have rear speakers, you'll find that the rear preouts are occupied (sending a signal to the Blaupunkt amp under the driver's feet) and that the front preouts are unused. If you're wanting to drive all the car's speakers with an external amp, you'll need to feed that amp the preouts for both front and rear. You should definitely not feed an external amp the speaker outputs from the head unit as that is a post-amplifier signal and will be too strong for the external amp's inputs.
Unfortunately, I don't currently have any technical information to hand, meaning I can't give you any specific pin outs, etc. I'm currently on the south coast in a recording studio installing a £50,000 mixing desk, but I'm hoping I'll have completed the job in time for ADI. Should I make it to Castle Combe, I'll more than happily talk you through things.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you Tom. Yes I have rear speakers but do not have BOSE. I am useless when it comes to vehicle electrics but I do have a good friend who is pretty handy for that sort of thing. I am looking to buy one of the 'under-seat' combined amp and sub boxes to fit under the driver's/passengers footwell. I will not be connecting that complete unit to any of the standard speakers in the car. I just basically need to know what sort of amp wiring kit I would require to combine with the Symphony headunit or indeed if it is at all possible. I would then hand all the bits to my mate to connect it al up as I wouln't trust myself.

Thank you Tom. Yes I have rear speakers but do not have BOSE. I am useless when it comes to vehicle electrics but I do have a good friend who is pretty handy for that sort of thing. I am looking to buy one of the 'under-seat' combined amp and sub boxes to fit under the driver's/passengers footwell. I will not be connecting that complete unit to any of the standard speakers in the car. I just basically need to know what sort of amp wiring kit I would require to combine with the Symphony headunit or indeed if it is at all possible. I would then hand all the bits to my mate to connect it al up as I wouln't trust myself.

Hi Steve,

fitting an amplified sub in the driver's side under floor compartment should be an easyish task (given one that fits in the space).

These units typically need a pair of line outs from the head unit (left and right) and quite often a "turn on" signal to activate the amp when the head unit's power is on. The unit internally constructs the subwoofer base from the combination of the left and right feeds through a "low pass filter" to extract only the low frequencies present on both signals.

If you have rear speakers then the head unit's rear left and right line outs will be run to the Blaupunkt amp together with a "turn on" signal already. All you would need to do is piggyback additional wires onto the existing ones and provide the new amp with a additional high power feed.

Note that in this arrangement, the volume of the base would be dependant on the rear speaker fader setting. If you want the base to match the front speaker volume you would need to run wires to the head unit.

The connections on the existing amp are discussed here:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?24226-Upgrading-rear-speakers

regards

Andrew

Hi Steve,

fitting an amplified sub in the driver's side under floor compartment should be an easyish task (given one that fits in the space).

These units typically need a pair of line outs from the head unit (left and right) and quite often a "turn on" signal to activate the amp when the head unit's power is on. The unit internally constructs the subwoofer base from the combination of the left and right feeds through a "low pass filter" to extract only the low frequencies present on both signals.

If you have rear speakers then the head unit's rear left and right line outs will be run to the Blaupunkt amp together with a "turn on" signal already. All you would need to do is piggyback additional wires onto the existing ones and provide the new amp with a additional high power feed.

Note that in this arrangement, the volume of the base would be dependant on the rear speaker fader setting. If you want the base to match the front speaker volume you would need to run wires to the head unit.

The connections on the existing amp are discussed here:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?24226-Upgrading-rear-speakers

regards

Andrew

Thank you Andrew that is very helpful. Really appreciate it.

Hi steve,
Ive had this problem before years back as did not have enough outputs to run all my amps, i purchased one of these (link below), which worked a treat, you can buy cheap micky mouse ones but unsure what sort of sound quality or interferance youd get from them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-43...A-Converter-/231494636555?hash=item35e627d40b

regards gary

Thanks Gary. This makes sense to me a bit more now and will definitely be added to list of planned mods.

Or you could use an external sound processor which you could output to an amp and existing speakers. This will also allow you to finetune the EQ and DSP better plus override any bass output limitations from the factory unit. Would potentially give you better sound than a Bose upgrade too.

Back