Information What the TDI 75 looks like under the bonnet

Sarge

A2OC Donor
I thought I'd share some pictures of the TDi 75 AMF engine bay, during my strip down of the parts under the bonnet.

Some might find it interesting as to what it looks like under there and in parts.

So, here we go....

20150929_150600.jpg20151004_144411.jpg20151004_144800.jpg20151004_152642.jpg20151004_153243.jpg

20151004_175134.jpg20151009_143827.jpg20151009_143841.jpg

More to follow....

If that Brick Acid / driveway cleaner dont work, youv only got 1 option , youv got to individually turn each brick upside down as only laid on sharp sand , its only the edge ones that normally get cemented in to form the boundry, tap back in place with a rubber mallet and sprinkle with kiln dryied sand when finished to fill in all the gaps,

Great photos by the way and love the actual part number ones :)

Regards Gary

wow, I see British climate is doing its job :eek: like in picture 4 for the engine mount, alternator, etc. Maybe it was without a plastic cover under the engine?

You did the massive job!

Best thing I found for cleaning block paved driveways (or at least its worked for me), is spray clutch & brake cleaner. Liberally spray on stain & then dab with a cloth to lift the oil out rather than rubbing & spreading it. It may leave some residue but this does clean most of it, & normally whats left gets weathered over time.

Wow, it's a grim looking place, isn't it? Very useful, though! Is that level of corrosion typical?

Dvaid

Now, who can tell me how to clean out the oil and muck stains from my driveway? gotta keep the lady happy too! ;)

I'll bring some degreaser the week after next mate and sort it for you. Dig the power washer out from under that pile of A2 parts.

I'll take great pleasure in covering your neighbours R8 in a nice film of crud. :p

If that Brick Acid / driveway cleaner dont work, youv only got 1 option , youv got to individually turn each brick upside down as only laid on sharp sand , its only the edge ones that normally get cemented in to form the boundry, tap back in place with a rubber mallet and sprinkle with kiln dryied sand when finished to fill in all the gaps,

Great photos by the way and love the actual part number ones :)

Regards Gary

I fear if it comes down to that then, it'll be new replacement bricks, this is because the top side of the bricks are tapered as opposed to bottom side.

Cheers
Sarge

wow, I see British climate is doing its job :eek: like in picture 4 for the engine mount, alternator, etc. Maybe it was without a plastic cover under the engine?

You did the massive job!

Yes under tray been missing, well at least whilst I had is sat on driveway.

Wow, it's a grim looking place, isn't it? Very useful, though! Is that level of corrosion typical?

Dvaid

It's not typical David . Sarge and i were messaging about this yesterday funnily enough. It's been sat ouside and unused for a good while which will increase surface rusting and oxidation. It's just cosmetic.

I give my engine bay a degrease infrequently and a wash twice a year I'd estimate.

It looks nothing like Sarge 'pics.

Really interesting thread and lots of competent bits available . I think the car has just over 100k miles and the parts will clean up fine. Sarge- better confirm if my memory serves correct

Yes parts only have surface rust. The rust you see on the block is just water drained onto block when I removed the thermostat so pretty normal really. The aluminium bits is in fact oxidisation again easily cleaned and believe me, during my time on the A2's I've see a lot driving around in a similar state. 5 mins with a wire brush and the parts clean up nice!

Yes car has 100k on it and like I said before, I'm really pleasantly surprised at the condition inside the engine, the head is beautiful and the cylinders have no scoring at all! Personally I believe that this may even be a lower mileage engine than the car, however I can't confirm this.

Apologies about the writing on the part numbers, its difficult to write with gloves on and hands full of grease on my phone :) , but I needed to do it in situ to keep it all accurate and efficient.

LOADS OF USEFUL PARTS AVAILABLE GUYS !

Very interesting, Sarge!

Thanks for posting these pictures. Out of interest, did you have any trouble undoing the nuts holding the EGR pipe to the exhaust manifold? I wanted to remove the pipe when I blanked my EGR, but I was worried about snapping a stud. :p

Regards,

Matt.

Back