Rattle from gear stick at idle, Engine Mgmt Light & Limp Mode

Kaine

Past Member
Hi folks,

Yesterday with my 1 day old A2 :)cry:) the car engine management light came on (flashing) and it went into limp mode. Stopped and gave it five minutes and it sorted itself out but the engine mgmt light stayed on permanently. Since then its been ok apart from i can now hear a rattle from the gearbox at idle - we did notice it yesterday before the mgmt light so it could be connected. I've ordered a VAGCOM cable today to check out what the fault was, however this evening the Engine Mgmt light has gone off all by itself.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Kaine

Hi folks,

Yesterday with my 1 day old A2 :)cry:) the car engine management light came on (flashing) and it went into limp mode. Stopped and gave it five minutes and it sorted itself out but the engine mgmt light stayed on permanently. Since then its been ok apart from i can now hear a rattle from the gearbox at idle - we did notice it yesterday before the mgmt light so it could be connected. I've ordered a VAGCOM cable today to check out what the fault was, however this evening the Engine Mgmt light has gone off all by itself.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Kaine

When it is idling try moving the stick VERY slightly to one side and the other and see if there is a spot where it doesn't rattle.

It could be that the linkage needs adjusting (check out the "How To Index" for how to do this.)

With my car the stick is totally steady when left alone, but if you move it to one side or the other you feel the engine vibrations.

Steve B

Last edited:
The gear leaver does rattle occasionally, if you move it slightly and it stops rattling then it's normal. I think it's dry cables that causes it, and only way to get rid is new cables. But ok to just live with it, I have for the 100,000 miles.

The gear leaver does rattle occasionally, if you move it slightly and it stops rattling then it's normal. I think it's dry cables that causes it, and only way to get rid is new cables. But ok to just live with it, I have for the 100,000 miles.

Hi,

Before anyone spends money on new cables, it is well worth carrying out the adjustment, it is easy enough to do and puts the cables in a slightly different position, often resolving rattles when it does.

Steve B

Back