The electrics seem to be going on my A2- what should I do?

Okay- bit of a dilemma here and thought I'd turn to you good folk on A2OC.

The electrics have started going a bit funny on my A2. The interior light turns on and off repeatedly when I have the doors open.
The windows (all of them) also sometimes work fine and other time stop working entirely so I dare not open the windows in case they stay in the down position and would therefore have to wait for windows to start working again to wind back up again.
When the windows don't work, it seems to affect the doors and the boot as well since I can't centrally lock or unlock the doors either.

The car is from 2001 so I've had some good use out of it since 2005. There's also 12 months MOT as I've literally just had it done.

The question is this: Is it worth getting the electrics sorted out or will it be so expensive that I might as well save the money and scrap the car as I presume no one will want to buy a car with such dodgy electrics?

It will be a shame to let go of the A2 as mechanically, it is still sound and I've had no problems with it for the last 10 years! Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to diagnose and repair these problems. Is it worth trying to repair on my own?

I'm sure a scan would reveal all but initially sounds like CCCU problems which can be remedied for around £100. A2carsltd in Milton keynes offer a replacement service.

James is likely to be right, they are the classic symptoms of a CCCU that is failing.

And as he said the replacement would be in the region of £100 (depending on which CCCU you have) it "lives" in a black box under the front passenger floor, look firstly at the part number printed on the top, it will finish in something like one of AF, F, Q etc.

Since you live in London, I could help you with a scan and advice on a solution if you fancy popping over to Staines one night / weekend.

It is one of the easiest fixes taking 10 minutes to swap over and about 20 minutes to reprogram your remote key fobs again (as long as you get a replacement that matches the same part number as the one you have. (once again this is the black plastic control unit on the top of the other electronics in the front passenger footwell.

In the meantime you could try the following (it may not help, but worth a try)

Disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for a few minutes (5 or 10) then reconnect and see if that helps, if it does then this would only be a temporary fix (and you will need to re-pair your key fobs to the unit to get the remote locking working again (just by putting the key in the ignition, turning it on and then pressing the unlock button, then repeat for any other key fobs you have.

If you get a replacement CCCU (there are a couple of people that offer a replacement service (one remotely by post) the method of pairing the keys is more involved but easy enough with the help of someone with the right cable etc. (as I say I can help with that if you need it.

Steve B

As said above checkout CCCU otherwise if your dumping it, then there is yet one last space on my driveway where it can come and spend its last days. It's becoming an old peoples home type of thing for the A2 on my driveway ....lol :)

Where in London are you? Either Steve or I can help you Buddy, we're both in London.

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
charge the battery fully before you do much else, though. Leave it without power for a few minutes, too, and see what happens after that.

- Bret

Thanks all for the fast responses! I'm actually really pleased to hear that it could be such an easy and fast fix.

Birchall- I may take you up on your offer but I'm going away for the next couple of days.
Which actually leads to my next question- Is the car safe to drive whilst the cccu is playing up?

Sarge- you've actually seen my A2 before as you bought a body kit off me a few years back and came to surbiton to pick up!

Thanks all for the fast responses! I'm actually really pleased to hear that it could be such an easy and fast fix.

Birchall- I may take you up on your offer but I'm going away for the next couple of days.
Which actually leads to my next question- Is the car safe to drive whilst the cccu is playing up?

the CCCU does not control any safety systems and the worse that could happen would be the problems you have been experiencing such as locks and Windows.
There are many owners that out up with a failing CCCU so you should be fine. But I would never state that any car is safe without checking the car out face to face (face to bumper?).

When you get chance just PM me and we can arrange a free scan anyway. And when you get your replacement (of the correct part number) I can re-pair your current keys to it. If you have an early model of CCCU you might consider upgrading to a later (AF) model but you would need matching key fobs (just the button half).
Contact Tom via PM (member name Timmus) if you want a replacement by post or use A2 Cars if you want to pop over to Milton Keynes. Both guys are super knowledgeable and helpful. Your choice.

Steve B

Sarge- you've actually seen my A2 before as you bought a body kit off me a few years back and came to surbiton to pick up!

Oh yes I remember, hope your well Buddy. I think Steve is closer to you, he'll be able to sort you out. I do have a few CCCU's so between Steve and me, we should be able to get you up and running.

Cheers
Sarge

I'm convinced that this is a CCCU issue now that I've read up on issues that other users have had when their CCCU is playing up. Gonna buy one before hopefully arranging some time for Steve to help me out.
Just got back from Norwich and only had 1 issue when the alarm wouldn't turn off despite disconnecting and reconnecting the battery repeatedly for an hour(!)

Before I head off in the wrong direction, I've check my current CCCU and it is an "E". I saw a table on another post which says that I can use a Q unit. Am I right in thinking this would work with my keyfobs after some reprogramming?

Steve also suggested getting an AF unit- is this because they are more reliable? Would this mean that Ineed to buy new key fobs (top part)?

Before I head off in the wrong direction, I've check my current CCCU and it is an "E". I saw a table on another post which says that I can use a Q unit. Am I right in thinking this would work with my keyfobs after some reprogramming?

Steve also suggested getting an AF unit- is this because they are more reliable? Would this mean that Ineed to buy new key fobs (top part)?

The "AF" is known to be more reliable than the "Q" and yes, it would need matching "button halves" for the keys.

It would be best to contact Sarge (who is local to you) Timmus (who does a postal exchange service) or A2 Cars (who have lots of recommendations on here) if you want this done, they can advise you on exactly what is involved in their methods of replacement.

Steve B

Last edited:

Yes, the Q unit can be used as a replacement for an E unit. Your existing key fobs will work fine. :)
If you have rear electric windows, some software adaptation will probably be needed.

Cheers,

Tom

Good to know. I have got electric windows at the back. I've pm'd sarge to see if he has a suitable cccu that I can buy from him.
Thanks for the responses.

I had my Q unit repaired using the newer chip by A2carsltd on an exchange basis. The "new" Q is now very reliable. Beware of used Q units that could easily have the same faults or develop the same faults you're experiencing now.
I agree with Tom that the unit will need a software tweak for rear electric windows.

James

Well, that is a first!

I never thought that I would ever disagree with Tom, let alone James, but I have swapped at least 10 CCCUs and never had to code anything other than the key fobs.

But since I have a lot of respect for you both, it MIGHT be the combinations I have done these for, but I do know that I replaced the CCCU on at least three A2s that had rear electric windows and they all worked without any coding.

I am happy to be proved wrong because this is all about giving clear and accurate information on the forum.

Steve B

When Tom came to wire up my new sports seats my CCCU was beginning to give up on the same day. Refusing to lock doors, or open them. Tom being the guy he is offered to swap out his cars CCCU with my dud but it was programmed for rear electric windows that my car does not have, nor need. I am therefore basing my comment on an actual experience.

James

I have swapped at least 10 CCCUs and never had to code anything other than the key fobs.

Whilst the Q unit can be used as a replacement for an E or P unit, E and P units cannot necessarily be used as a replacement for a Q unit.

The reason for this is that the E and P units lack the internal hardware to control rear doors with manual windows. It only has the hardware to work with rear electric windows. The Q unit has the hardware to work with both, but you have to tell it which system it's working with by way of a software adaption. Failure to do so results in conflicting information about the position of the microswitches in the rear doors being broadcast on the CAN network.
Q units were fitted in cars that left the factory with manual rear windows. They are therefore relatively common, but they're almost invariably set up to work with manual rear windows. This must be changed if they're to be used as a substitute for an E or P unit.

All CCCU variants mentioned here work with the same remote key fobs. The later, more reliable generation of CCCUs has its own cross-compatibility limitations.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Just got back from Sunny E17 to visit Sarge who was able to help me out with the electrical probs I've been having.
As expected, it was problems with my CCCU and Sarge was able to swap mine out for a Q unit and reprogram my keys for me all without breaking a sweat!

I've not been able to use the key fobs for about a year now to lock and unlock the doors and only started to look into this when the alarm kept going off so I'm absolutely delighted that everything is up and running again like when I bought the car 10 years ago!

Sarge- thanks for your help and sorry to have taken more than my fair share of your Sunday afternoon talking about all things A2 related! Good to see Shoby car in the flesh(?!) as well after reading about it so many years ago.
Thanks again and I'll know where to turn next I have any issues with my A2!
#Good for another 10 years...

Just got back from Sunny E17 to visit Sarge who was able to help me out with the electrical probs I've been having.
As expected, it was problems with my CCCU and Sarge was able to swap mine out for a Q unit and reprogram my keys for me all without breaking a sweat!

I've not been able to use the key fobs for about a year now to lock and unlock the doors and only started to look into this when the alarm kept going off so I'm absolutely delighted that everything is up and running again like when I bought the car 10 years ago!

Sarge- thanks for your help and sorry to have taken more than my fair share of your Sunday afternoon talking about all things A2 related! Good to see Shoby car in the flesh(?!) as well after reading about it so many years ago.
Thanks again and I'll know where to turn next I have any issues with my A2!
#Good for another 10 years...

Absolutely lovely chap! I worked out it was over 6.5 years (April 2009) since I saw you last matey :) I'm glad we saved another A2, makes me feel less guilty breaking an A2 this way, sort of counteracts the sadness of loosing one, when you keep another on road if you like :)

Cheers
Sarge

Glad you got it sorted. A failing CCCU is very frustrating.

It is great that with Sarge back we have great coverage around England, It would be even better still if we could cover the other countries of the UK too. But at least now fewer people will have to travel hundreds of miles for a CCCU / Key programming etc.

And the beauty is that they all have top knowledge of the A2, A2Cars, Sarge and Tom (alphabetical order just to be fair!;))

And plenty of capable members with VCDS dotted around, as well as some members offering parts at decent prices.

Between everyone (including those members who don't have the opportunity to offer any services) we have a great network that is going from strength to strength.

Steve B

Back