EGR blanking plate

Been busy for the second weekend in a row. Last week, Shock and CV Boots. This week, I made my own EGR blanking plate. I looked online to see what it looked like, then easily unbolted the EGR pipe from the EGR valve and used the washer as a template. I had some 2mm plate lying around so I just used that, made up the blank and bolted it into place. My, what a difference it has made. No more jerking and at low revs and much smoother when changing gear. However the lack of low down power is still there, but for the first time the car is actually getting better.
On an unrelated topic, I parked in front of the garage door over the weekend and noticed that the headlights move all on their own. It’s like the little switch that controls the light height has a problem. One more thing to deal with.
Regards
Russ

What does blanking the egr do? Is the egr the pipe that has a sleeve on it and looks kind of like a spring? Is it something you can do to both petrol and diesel cars?

The plate was just 2mm flat plate that I cut to the exact shape of the washer(without the big hole in the middle) I bolted it into place on the EGR side and not on the exhaust side. I will load photo's when I get home and do a bit of a write up on why and how I did it. I don't know if it can be done on diesel's but I did it on my W reg corsa and it worked a charm, so did it on the A2 and had just as good a result.

That's a useful and informative thread but mainly covers either the 75 AMF or the 90, the 75 BHC is different again. I'm wondering how the ECU works out the EGR is blocked - must be the MAF but as the EGR feed is downstream of the MAF it must be expecting a reduction in flow when the EGR is active rather than an increase?

Anyway to avoid having to have the EML 'mapped out' I'm wondering if the EGR port can be fed with fresh filtered air rather than exhaust gas?

Simon.

a2-EGR-Blank.jpg I hope the image comes out clearly. I put the blank in the EGR side of the pipe and not the exhaust side.
EGR-Blank1.jpg I just made the blank from old 2mm plate.
EGR-Blank.jpg

!"£$% 3rd time lucky!

The little beast does not run well. Low on power until 3000k then it takes off. When cruising at 40-50mph in 4th or 5th, the car lurches like it has fuel starvation.
Work and things tried to date, driving the car inbetween to see if there is any improvement:
1)Full service, top quality parts and fluids
2)Clean MAF
3)Clean throttle body
4)Replace cam position sensor
5)Rewire all coil connectors
6)Replace earth, behind headlight.
7)Injector cleaner(Audi supplied)
8)Water method clean(checked with endoscope, all good)
9)EGR Blanking.

The car now drives very smoothly but is still low on power. Its getting better for a change so I am hoping that I am moving in the right direction.
My carbon chemistry tells me that the EGR does not do anything for emissions or combustion so I believe that the car can live without it. Anyway, its done now so I will see how things go. I also tried it out on my W reg Corsa(poor thing is always the guinea pig)and its fine, actually better than fine.
Regards
Russ

The engine looks like my 1.6 FSI, but I didn't know there should be cover to keep the dirt away from the coils and wires. Where can I find one I wonder?

It is a 1.6FSI and I didnt like all the coils and wires showing so I made a cover. Thin ally plate sprayed black. I went to the breakers yard and got an Audi badge. The whole thing is held in place with a couple of black cable ties. But I think it looks better than the wires!

Nice work!

I see you are moving in the same direction as I did, trying to eliminate power and misfiring issues.
I have replaced many usual suspects, every replacement improved the engine work for a period of time.

This summer, since they had to dismantle almost the whole top to replace the vacuum actuator, I decided to have all injectors replaced.

Since than, I haven't lift the bonnet or used VCDS.
It runs like a brand new car.

I hope you'll get the power back too!

Hi Darko, I'm glad you got your sorted and that does me hope. Last time I was at the breaker, I got a set of injectors from a 1.6FSI Seat Leon, they are the same. I will see if they are serviceable ( there are some really good youtube clips on injector service and cleaning) and possibly pop them in, but its a big job!

For those interested, the EPC light has come on now. It goes off on a long journey or when thrashing the car, but as soon as I dawdle it comes on. I will be taking remedial action.

For those interested, the EPC light has come on now. It goes off on a long journey or when thrashing the car, but as soon as I dawdle it comes on. I will be taking remedial action.

Very interesting, Russel. :confused:

Can you be sure that the EPC light has stored a fault code relating to the EGR valve? If so, would you mind posting what the code is please? :)

Regards,

Matt.

Hi Matt. Will definitely do that and see what the code is. May be a couple of weeks though as im getting ready for holiday in SA for a few weeks.

Hi,
Do I understand correctly from this thread that VCDS cannot turn off the EGR?
So what do Stealth use to turn it off then?

Stealth racing alter the ECU mapping when "mapping" a car and their map includes an egr cancelling function. Cheers Mike

Have you checked if the Cat is blocked?

Bad/partial blocked catalyst can cause power issues as the exhaust gases build up and create a hell load of back pressure. Doesn't always show as a fault either!

One way to check is undo the bolts holding the cat pipe to the down pipe (only to the end of the threads) this should leave a 1" gap, take for a quick test and see if the power issue is solved.

Last edited:
i have the same prolem too. from 1500rpm to 2500rpm the car just dont run properly. Mine is 1.4 16v. And i too suspect egr. Can somebody tell us how to test the stuped egr.

i have the same prolem too. from 1500rpm to 2500rpm the car just dont run properly. Mine is 1.4 16v. And i too suspect egr. Can somebody tell us how to test the stuped egr.

The first thing to do is to check for any error codes on anything else, are they all clear?

Steve B

Back