Aftermarket

Johnpug

Looking to put a alpine stereo in my a2 only problem is i have the bose system anyone had any issues doing this thanks.

Does your car have the Symphony II unit, with a built-in 6-disc changer? Have you considered simply replacing it with an identical unit? Is there anything that you don't like about it, or functionality that the Alpine unit provides that you can't add to the Symphony unit?
The Symphony II unit is controlled by the instrument cluster (illumination, on/off with ignition, etc) over the CAN network. As such, there are no classic analogue triggers behind the head unit as used by most aftermarket units. That's not an unassailable problem, but it requires a bit of work to remedy. Given that the Alpine unit won't sound any better, I wouldn't bother changing unless there's a tangible need to.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Yes its the 6 disc unit i want a usb but cant find the correct link on ebay for the conversion i need.

Yes thats good but to be honest im not paying that price im sorry i think its overpriced im not saying its not worth it but im just looking for a solution to play a usb thats it but thanks for your information

Does your car have the Symphony II unit, with a built-in 6-disc changer? Have you considered simply replacing it with an identical unit? Is there anything that you don't like about it, or functionality that the Alpine unit provides that you can't add to the Symphony unit?
The Symphony II unit is controlled by the instrument cluster (illumination, on/off with ignition, etc) over the CAN network. As such, there are no classic analogue triggers behind the head unit as used by most aftermarket units. That's not an unassailable problem, but it requires a bit of work to remedy. Given that the Alpine unit won't sound any better, I wouldn't bother changing unless there's a tangible need to.

Cheers,

Tom

Alpine stereo (and of course many others too) will have 2 or 3 pre-outs, which the standard stereo doesn't.

Alpine stereo (and of course many others too) will have 2 or 3 pre-outs, which the standard stereo doesn't.

This may be the case, but given that it's going to be tied to the OEM Bose system, it doesn't make any real difference ...unless I'm misunderstanding your thinking?

Cheers,

Tom

This may be the case, but given that it's going to be tied to the OEM Bose system, it doesn't make any real difference ...unless I'm misunderstanding your thinking?

Cheers,

Tom

It was more of a general issue. I've been through similar recently - I've upgraded the basic radio/cassette (Chorus?) to an Alpine head unit, one of the advantages is that I can now plug in, relatively effortlessly, a 300W (peak) amp to drive some decent rear speakers and a 500W amp to drive a 12" sub-bass box. If I had a standard head unit, I'd be forced to tap into the speaker wires and use direct speaker in, which would limit the audio to 4 channels max, unless you get into splitting it off somehow. Even the most basic Alpine stereo has 2 pairs of phono out, and a decent amplifier of its own, so that's 8 speakers; some have 3 phono outs meaning 10 channels for speakers.

Ok guys im going for the alpine route is there a adapter to make my dash a single din as mine has the double plus is there a wiring harness i can get to work with the bose system

Ok guys im going for the alpine route is there a adapter to make my dash a single din as mine has the double plus is there a wiring harness i can get to work with the bose system

I've personally never seen a fascia adapter for double-din Audi (which is slightly wider than standard size) to single-din standard. But there's single-din fascia adapters, which consist of two pieces of plastic trim which neatly sit either side. I think it would be possible to use one of these, plus a cubby-hole from a single-DIN Audi fascia, for example part number 8Z0863077. See link here, you might need to signup to vagcat: http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A2/2004/248/56/3106021/

This MIGHT be worth a try - I think the A2 and A4 have the same fitment of stereo.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-I...hash=item1e889c155f:m:miK64XZYn6YESDlItVaJAJA

$_57.JPG

This MIGHT be worth a try - I think the A2 and A4 have the same fitment of stereo.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-I...hash=item1e889c155f:m:miK64XZYn6YESDlItVaJAJA

View attachment 21640

The single DIN dash head unit fitting is shared with the contemporary TT and A6 so adaptors and head units are interchangeable.

The double DIN dash head unit fitting in the A2 is unique and to me knowledge, not specific adaptor is available. Any adaptor would need to be bought for a different car and then cut down in size, assuming that the mounting parts of the adaptor would survive the reduction.

regards

Andrew

Back