Member awards 2015

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
The club has been going from strength to strength lately, with new members joining at the highest rate I have seen since I joined in 2009.
The quality and quantity of the content is frankly amazing and constantly improving.
This is down to the effort that was put into building the A2OC over the years and is now fuelled by friendly and enthusiastic members who are fully engaged in improving the club

We have decided therefore that it is time we acknowledged this fact by creating A2OC member awards.

The most difficult thing of all is that there are just so many deserving members that it is difficult to judge who should receive an award. Our plan is that next year’s awards should be given based on open nominations and a free vote by the members.

But this year we thought we could start the ball rolling by selecting the first recipients of the member awards.

It was very difficult to do this because of the large number of deserving members. So don’t feel that you went unnoticed, if you did not actually receive an award.

Before we list the award winners, there are some people who justify a special mention

Member A2-D2 (A member from Germany) put in a huge amount of effort to organise a “group buy” of an excellent Anti Roll Bar (ARB) set up for the A2. This has enabled many of our members to buy this kit at a great price. This was a real benefit to the club. Thank you for your efforts, it was very much appreciated.

Spike also deserves a special mention, he consistently amazes us when he somehow manages to find an obscure but really helpful link whenever it is needed. This has helped so many members save time and money. It also enables many members to DIY and so learn more about the great A2 as they carry out repairs, tweaks or modifications, thanks to the help that Spike has provided. He also seems to do it in a quiet and understated way and never seeks praise for it. So it is good to be able to show Spike that his work does not go unnoticed. Thank you Spike

I would also like to give Murdo a special mention, he works tirelessly behind the scenes to try and steer the club safely through some choppy waters, his efforts are not always visible, but they are extremely constructive and done without any thought of personal gain. Thanks Murdo.

I also can’t overstate the efforts that Mike (A2Sumo) and Vonnie put in to make the socials such a success. The socials are the heart and soul of a club like this and whether or not you are able to attend any, the mere fact that they happen (and so well) adds a huge extra element to the “club”.

Thanks also to the other members of the team (and ALL members) that help keep this club active and alive.
There are so many that deserve a mention that we would be here all night.

And so to the awards

award.jpg

Newcomer
– this could go to so many of the recently joined members that we could hive out ten of these and still not cover everyone. But we had to pick one and we decided that there was one “newbie” that hit the ground running from day one and so well that sone might be surprised that he is a new member. His posts are helpful, he is enthusiastic and he has embrace the club spirit so well that he deserves this award.
Jeffers66. Thanks for all you have done in the short time you have been with us. Please keep up the great work
Jeff collecting his Newcomer award (he looks pleased!)

Jeff.jpg

Technical award – this may surprise some of you, for reasons that will become clear when I tell you who has won this. It goes to RAB for his great and consistent technical help relating to the 1.2 tdi. As I say, sone if you might be surprised at this because the 1.2 was not even sold in the UK. But This is an international A2 Owners Club and RAB (and one or two others) has ensured that we can give technical help to 1.2 owners too. That makes us a complete club not just a UK centric club. So RAB’s efforts have ensured that we are a totally A2 centred club. His superb technical skills and his readiness to impart those skills is truly amazing. Thanks RAB

Member of the year – another difficult category but this time there has been a clear winner.
Not only had this member proven that he totally embraces the spirit of the club, but he is also “new blood” and that is so vital in a club like this. His personality shines through, his technical approach is clear and his posts are always interesting and informative.
The final strength that I want to mention will “give the game away” to most of you.
That is that all of the above strengths are even more surprising when you realise just how young he is. 18!!!
Yes it is Matt (Wilco184), he has helped us widen our skill set and added huge value to the club and at the same time also given us a new perspective a ”young view” on what we do.
Matt I can’t thank you enough for everything you have done for us so far. Please keep it up.

Matt doing the walk of embarrassment (so embarrassed that his eyes are red, let alone his cheeks.)
Matt red eye.jpg

Matt receiving his well earned award (His heart now glowing with pride)
Matt.jpg

Finally, a VERY special award, one that won’t necessarily be awarded annually.
It is the Dick Chown award
Peter, his Son was kind enough to send us a few words about his Dad (HollyRescue).
My dad bought his A2 new back in 2001 as he wanted a smaller car for around town as the Volvo v70 2.5t was a big thing and pretty thirsty! Once he got it, it became the car he used a lot more as he loved it as did/does my mum and myself, she chose the colour, island green.
He found the a2oc and soon became a very active member, making friends and attending the socials which I often attended with him, being passionate about the A2 myself.
He had cancer at this time and he found the club a good distraction and the members were very supportive during the bad times, although he always kept very positive about it, telling everyone he came in contact with, that he had cancer but saying it with a smile!
He used the A2 even more as the cancer got worse being a lot easier to get in and out of.
When he died I kept the car on as I would never let the car out of the family as my dad was so passionate about it. I still have it and I will for the rest of my life I hope, sensing my dad sitting by me telling me to be careful! I love this car, EA51 XTE has now become C11 OWN carrying our surname making the little A2 even more special to me.

Dick Chown, a very special guy indeed
Dick Chown.jpg

And a VERY worthy winner
Sarge.jpg

This award goes to a guy that has thankfully returned to the club after a health related absence. All I can say is that I am so glad that he has decided to come back to us. Even in the short time that he has become active again his impact on the club has been huge. He is the nicest guy you will ever meet. Just talk to him for 5 minutes and his honesty and pure humanity shines through. He has attended several socials this year, even though it has been very painful for him to do so. He attended just to be part of the club again and to help others.
His personality is fitting for such an award and honours the memory of Dick Chown.
Sarge. A worthy winner of the Dick Chown Award.
Thank you Sarge, all the best to you and your family. We are all better for knowing you.

Last edited:
Hi all sorry for the delay in posting the pics but only just got home (4.30pm on sunday) please find the pictures here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153769920873944.1073741848.577838943&type=1&l=586bcda680

No Facebook account needed its just a viewer. We had a fantastic evening with such a great turn out from the club-38 dinners. Thanks to you all for turning up and making organising the socials all worth it. Thanks also to steve b for his time and efforts in organising the awards and giving the speech. See you soon mike and vonnie

Thanks everyone!

Just a quick thanks to Mike and Vonnie for organising the curry night, had a great time seeing faces old and new,
Also a great surprise to receive the 'Best new member' award! Chuffed to bits I must say and thanks to all the mods who made the decision it must be tough with so many new members!

Cheers Jeff

Last edited:
May I take this opportunity to thank everybody, from the management, to all the forum members. I am very grateful for the award, and for being given the very special Dick Chown award at that! I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr Chown as I started frequenting the forum after his passing as I understand it, but I have had a look through some of his posts and it seems his sense of humour is much the same as mine :).

I would also like to thank My late Nephew, Shoby, and his parents - Sha and Naz, as without Shoby I'd most probably never entered the A2 world. Dearest little Shoby, I see you playing amongst the stars and will always love you forever.
DSC00393.JPG

Congratulations to the other winners and to ALL A2 owners, because owning this car makes you ALL winners!

A very grateful Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Sarge and recognition well deserved.

We decided to name the award for 'Special Contribution' the Dick Chown as he was a member who really made an impression on the club, he had a great way of posting which earned him respect. He loved A2OC plus dealt very nobly with his illness.

His son Peter said he'd be chuffed to see an award in his name and I'm sure he'd approve of its first recipient being Sarge.

Like Steve said we may not award this every year but when it's merited or voted for by the club membership. That will keep this particular category a bit special as it should be. Also hoping that Peter or one of the Chown family will present the award at a future social. But that's for another day ;)

Well done everybody.

Last edited:
Many thanks to everyone for the award, most unexpected! Congratulations to all other winners. I should also 'thank' my A2 for 'educating' me; the two Lupos have been far less troublesome! Nothing to do with the brand, it's just that with a 1.2 it's better to be proactive rather than reactive which the previous owner wasn't.

Best regards

RAB

Many thanks to everyone for the award, most unexpected! Congratulations to all other winners. I should also 'thank' my A2 for 'educating' me; the two Lupos have been far less troublesome! Nothing to do with the brand, it's just that with a 1.2 it's better to be proactive rather than reactive which the previous owner wasn't.

Best regards

RAB

You deserve it RAB.

I posted it today, you should get it tommorrow.

Thanks for everything.

Steve B

Hi,
I would just like to echo the sentiment and whole heartedly agree with the award for 'Member of the Year' going to Matt (Wilko184).

I am a new member only joining last year and happen to live not to far away from Matt, he was one of the first to welcome me and offering help and advise, which over the past months has been very much appreciated. Not always getting chance to read this site, I have only just read about the awards.

WELL DONE MATT :)

For some reason I too have only just picked up on this section. Great idea to whoever suggested the awards, I hope it is also seen as a bit of fun and not always to be taken too seriously! I agree the club/forum should not be UK centric even though it is probably frequented by a fare proportion of UK 'eccentrics'.....:p

For some reason I too have only just picked up on this section. Great idea to whoever suggested the awards, I hope it is also seen as a bit of fun and not always to be taken too seriously! I agree the club/forum should not be UK centric even though it is probably frequented by a fare proportion of UK 'eccentrics'.....:p
That is exactly what it was meant to be. More fun than formal. An extra element to the club.
It is great that so many people seem to have enjoyed it.

(Love the pun too !!)

Steve B

Back