Information Newbie rescuing a beaten and abused A2

Moony

Hey

Been using the forums for a few weeks now and I thought I would join and say hello as a new A2 owner...

It's not my first A2.. I bought my sister one a 52 Reg in 2005 and loved its uniqueness...

Now I needed a run around and saw one.. It was Unloved (9 owners).. Abused (literally)... But I thought I could save it...

Car was bought through a salvage auction.. All the windows were smashed... The drivers door was hanging off.. Glove box broken.. And the alloys were well.. Needed some attention..

So... Here I am... Starting the journey..

Moony

Welcome and well done for having the guts to save one of these classics. You should post a pic of the car in the state it is now, so we can all tut with disapproval at its condition.

Chris

Last edited:
Welcome to the club Moony and goodluck with the restoration project, as you probally know already theres a few members with a great source of spares to help you in your rebuild, like A2steve and Sarge to name a few and they come highly recomended along with all the help and advice youl get from members of this forum. Ive only been a member a short time myself and found everyone very welcoming and a really lovely group of people at the club socials make the A2 an even better choice in my eyes ..

Good Luck and happy motoring, Gary

So here are a few shots of the car when it was for sale...

Screenshot_2015-11-25-22-33-41 2.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-25-22-33-52 2.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-25-22-34-01 2.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-25-22-34-31 2.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-25-22-34-48 2.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-25-22-34-55 2.jpg

Hi Moony

Welcome to the Forum.

I also have a collection of parts for sale from breaking an FSI so may be able to help when you're searching for something?

Good Luck with the project

Hilary

Poor little thing. Can't wait to see what HILLS looks like when you your give it your attention. Welcome Matey :)

Thanks YorkshireHill

dan_b ... lets say I found several home made koshes in the car.... Looks as if the car took the beating!

AJ Brewster named her HILLS... Very funny!

Please don't criticise as this is a sympathetic restore and its on a tight budget. I never went to see the car and bought it blind (please DO NOT do this as I took a gamble!)

So...... Got HILLS home and check the oils/fluids and got her going. Warmed up nicely and I could move her up and down the street.

It was quite clear she had been in a slight 'bump' in the front passengers side corner due to a poor paint job.

So I searched for some replacement parts... in Black as I knew it was a common colour!

On the shopping list was:-
OUTSIDE
ALL glass including windscreen (as the rears had been tinted) and every one of them was cracked!
Tailgate
Both front wings (including indicators)
Drivers door hinges and door stop
New tyres (x4)
Both rear tail lights

INSIDE
Glove box (broken handle)
Inside fuse cover (drivers side)
False floor
Tools missing from the tool tray in the boot
Parcel Shelf
Emergency triangle
Spare wheel
Ashtray
Drink holders

I managed to find a local breaker who had one in and had most of the bits I needed and was extremely cheap and let me take 'extras' at no cost!!! It was an 03 that he was breaking and its engine had given up but it was in fantastic condition... such a shame but I like to think it was being used for a good cause!

So I took the car to my mates garage and they set about the restoration...

On the ramp and get the wings on....
IMG-20151019-WA0006.jpgIMG-20151019-WA0007.jpg

Fit the door glass and tailgate...
IMG-20151017-WA0001.jpgIMG-20151017-WA0002.jpgIMG-20151019-WA0005.jpg

Get the glass fitter in to add the glass from the donor car...
IMG-20151021-WA0002.jpgIMG-20151021-WA0003.jpgIMG-20151021-WA0005.jpg

Finally... to get he road worthy and safe a new set of tyres was needed... I didn't want to refurbish the original ones that came with the car and they will be up for sale shortly!

Oh and I fitted a new Ashstray...

Check the A2OC forum - got myself a set of 195/55/15 on a set of new alloys off ebay for £55 (yes £55 for all 4 and they did come with tyres!). New black centre caps from audi logo off ebay... and here she is...
IMG-20151022-WA0000.jpg

List to do after driving her for a week...
Wheel bearing is whining
Coolant temp sensor
Replace elec window switch as child lock windows button working
Stereo volume button has a mind of its own
Both front seatbelts slow to retract

Source internal fuse box cover
Source Parcel shelf
Source missing tools
Source spare wheel

These are all immaterial things to fix as I can source and do/get the work done..
The main issue I have... Is why remove the EML bulb from the dashboard clocks! Why... Why... Why... Will need help and advice on that one!

Moony

Last edited:
Hi again Moony

With nine previous owners I'm guessing the original manual in its leather wallet may be missing?

If you'd like one, PM me your address and I'll happily send you the spare I have at no cost. All of us will appreciate the great effort that you've made keeping another A2 on the road

Hilary

Well done there , your A2's loooking really Good, I Think youl find there not bulbs but LED's soldered onto the instrument clusters circuit board, posibly theres been a wire cut somewhere to stop the light showing , hopefully someone with more knowledge will give you a better answer.

Gary

Finally... to get he road worthy and safe a new set of tyres was needed... I didn't want to refurbish the original ones that came with the car and they will be up for sale shortly!

Oh and I fitted a new Ashstray...

Check the A2OC forum - got myself a set of 195/55/15 on a set of new alloys off ebay for £55 (yes £55 for all 4 and they did come with tyres!). New black centre caps from audi logo off ebay... and here she is...
View attachment 21869

List to do after driving her for a week...
Wheel bearing is whining
Coolant temp sensor
Replace elec window switch as child lock windows button working
Stereo volume button has a mind of its own
Both front seatbelts slow to retract

Source internal fuse box cover
Source Parcel shelf
Source missing tools
Source spare wheel

These are all immaterial things to fix as I can source and do/get the work done..
The main issue I have... Is why remove the EML bulb from the dashboard clocks! Why... Why... Why... Will need help and advice on that one!

Moony

Glad to see that an A2 that could have very easily died has now been saved. Great work.

If needed I have

Both front seatbelts £8 each and

Rear Parcel shelf in grey £25

I noticed my drivers seat belts problem, as slow to retract, turned out to be the top eye causing it to drag, as if you pulled the seat belt from where it disapears behind the trim it moved and retracted freely and the top eye just needed a good baby wiping to resolve the probem..

Hi Hilary ... Thank you so much for the offer! The two thing I found in the glove box once we opened it was the owners wallet and the locking wheel nut opener. After nine owners as well! Do you have the fuse cover that fits on the drivers side.. Knee height?
Thanks for the advice on the belts.. I week give them a try...

Steve I will take the parcel shelf off you..

Last edited:
Hi Hilary ... Thank you so much for the offer! The two thing I found in the glove box once we opened it was the owners wallet and the locking wheel nut opener. After nine owners as well! Do you have the fuse cover that fits on the drivers side.. Knee height?
Thanks for the advice on the belts.. I week give them a try...

Steve I will take the parcel shelf off you..

Hi mate, that's great. Is that Nelson south Wales or in England. I.e do you need posted or are you living 10 minutes from me lol

Back