oil filter

A2driver

Who was the unspeakable cretin who put the oil filter where they did? So it leaks oil everywhere..all over the enginebay/air-con hoses, oil fill pipe/dipstick tube. Really grinds my gears.
Maybe i'm doing it wrong? Has anyone fitted a remote oil filter consol to avoid this useless design?

I have a diesel A2 so can't be specific, but on my other petrol cars I made a container to catch the oil as the filter was removed. An empty 1 litre Decosol screenwash bottle was the perfect size, being thin and long, with a square cross section. Cut open one of the sides but leave the cap on. Crack the filter then hold the container in place while unscrewing it by hand. If needed, add carefully placed rags or 'blue roll' to catch any drips. The caught oil can be poured out via the neck with the cap removed.

Cheers Spike

I know its not quite an Audi A2, but on a boat I used to own, I would crack off the initial tightness of a filter, then put it in a food bag, then unscrew it - resulting in no oil/fuel etc into the bilges. Maybe you can adapt something like that. Make sure the bag doesn't have any holes in the bottom.

BMW paper filter elements are my favourite, you change them form the top of the engine on the older ones, no mess, no fuss.

Back