intermittent glow plug light problem - VCDS scan request near to North Manchester

simonrad

A2OC Donor
The glow plug light on our A2 has just started to flash today, I have read some threads about a possible connection to the brake light switch. After reading the threads I went out to check the brake lights and of course the car is now behaving. Would anyone be able to confirm if a VCDS scan would highlight the problem? (and would anyone not too far from North Manchester be happy to help with a scan?) thanks in advance, Simon

The flashing glow plug light is a general warning for engine management issues so it's likely there are logged fault codes which VCDS would pick up.

Cheers Spike

Had the same four weeks ago. Its the brake light switch

James

Thanks for your replies, can anyone advise if a switch from Eurocarparts is ok or if people prefer a genuine part from Audi? (Not sure what is meant by the green switch some people refer to)

Most would recommend genuine VAG part but for me it was a back order item and could not afford to wait so fitted a Europarts switch (green version) so far so good. I also repaired the old one so have a spare!

Geoff

Last edited:
Thanks again all for useful input, I have now fitted a new switch (green from ecp), brake lights now functioning and the warning light is off. The day after fitting (yesterday), the clutch pulley popped off the alternator and the battery light came on. After A2oc searching, another trip back to ecp and a visit to a local garage, this is now sorted. Some people say these things run in threes, really hoping they don't, Simon

Glad its all sorted. Did the alternator clutch not give any warning? They normally squeal a bit first.

James

No noises, my wife drives the car more than I do but didn't mention anything. The battery was replaced before last winter and the last few days, starting was slightly more sluggish than usual. I think it was starting to fail/ sieze so that the belt wasnt turning the alternator properly or at all hence the sluggish start. It laterally spun off the shaft and fortunately landed without doing damage. It was red hot and there was a coating of red dust from the failing pulley around the area.

Back