Keeping a Car on a Public Road?

manhattan$

Past Member
Quick question...
I need to make a little room on the driveway for access.

I would like to temporarily put my A2 tdi outside the house, to the side of the drive on the road. This will not be in anyones way and is at the end of a cul de sac.

The A2 is currently mot'd and taxed, but not insured.

Am i allowed to put this car on the road? (Not drive it)

Cheers.

NO!!

If it is on a public road it MUST be insured and taxed, not just taxed.

But you might be able to get special cover that is not as expensive as normal cover, but you will have to shop around.

If you say you won't be driving it they will probably ask "how are you going to get it on the road then?"

Steve B

Thanks Steve! All i would have to do is push it off the drive and into the space to the side.

Looks like i will have to put it on our piece of land, on the grass. Although it will probably look like it has been dumped there

Thanks Steve! All i would have to do is push it off the drive and into the space to the side.

Looks like i will have to put it on our piece of land, on the grass. Although it will probably look like it has been dumped there

You will need to declare the car as SORN even if it is not on a public road, or insure it, one or the other.

You either have to have insurance or a SORN no exceptions.

But SORN is easy and can be done online. You can then take it off SORN when you want to use it again.

Steve B

You will need to declare the car as SORN even if it is not on a public road, or insure it, one or the other.

You either have to have insurance or a SORN no exceptions.

But SORN is easy and can be done online. You can then take it off SORN when you want to use it again.

Steve B

I thought it was road tax or SORN?

Unfortunately not,
The rules state

4. Uninsured vehicles

Rules in England, Wales and Scotland

You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads and in public places.
You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’.
If not, you could:

• get a fixed penalty of £100
  • have your vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded or destroyed
  • face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum fine of £1,000

Steve B

Last edited:
Take the engine out Paul - it will then cease to be a mechanically propelled vehicle as defined under the Road Traffic Act and be exempt from all the legal requirements, LOL - er not !. :)

Last edited:
Back