RNS-E fitment

A4NOY

Hi, I'm new to this club..
i would like some help please as i would like to fit a sat nav to my 03 A2 but which one do i fit ??
I already have the double din dash and the double din heater control so which nav do i fit ...also i have vag-com so i will need some coding help swell please...

Hi,

You will find lots of information on here relating to the RNS-E conversion.

It is one of the best mods for modernising the A2.

But you need to make sure that you get the exact version of the RNS-E, especially if you are going for a mk2 one.

I will look for a link to the details but you should find it by googling "RNS E A2OC" (Rather than using the search function on here)
That will give you all of the links you need to the related threads on here.

Steve B

Hi,

As Steve says, the RNSE is probably the best OEM+ unit for sat nav integration. It was never fitted to the A2 as standard, but it works with the A2's electronics perfectly and it looks like it was meant for the A2's dashboard, which is nice for those of us wishing to keep a standard look to our cars.

The RNSD unit could be fitted to the A2 from the factory, although it is CD based and now rather outdated.

I would recommend a MK2 RNSE. :)

Welcome to the club, too! :p

Matt.

Just in case you haven't seen one fitted in an A2 (but I assume you have?)

Dash.JPG

SAM_0187.JPG

Steve B

I love the look ... that steering wheel is very nice how do we go about fitting that.... I have 2 A2 1.6's and one I would like to keep std as I'm the second owner and in great condition and the other i would like to mod like yours...

I love the look ... that steering wheel is very nice how do we go about fitting that.... I have 2 A2 1.6's and one I would like to keep std as I'm the second owner and in great condition and the other i would like to mod like yours...

The steering wheel is from a current model TT.

I had it professionally fitted (expensive) but there are some on here that have the capability of fitting MFSWs I am sure that one of them will be along shortly to tell you what they can do for you.

Good luck with the mods, the only problem with the mods on the A2 is that it is difficult to stop, there are so many great mods you can do.

Click on my link below and you will see some details of the ones I have on my A2, it is a LONG thread though!

Steve B

Hi all can I fit a 192 black knob sat nav as I have one in the shed part number 8H0035192F can this be coded to my A2 ??

If it was posible id rather have the Audi Q3 sat nav as would sweet popping out the little panel, recessed area in the top of the dash :)

audi q3 sat nav.PNG

Gary

Hi all can I fit a 192 black knob sat nav as I have one in the shed part number 8H0035192F can this be coded to my A2 ??

Hi,

There are other members that know the tecnical info in more detail than me, but that unit appears to be an RNS-E from an S4.

That means that it should fit (it will need the sides to be trimmed to make it fit, as with any RNS E you buy that has not yet been modified for teh A2)

But please wait until someone can give you a more firm response.

Steve B

If it was possible id rather have the Audi Q3 sat nav as would sweet popping out the little panel, recessed area in the top of the dash :)

View attachment 21887

Gary

This is one of my current projects! Well, not the Q3 version, but i have fitted a "Garmin" unit that swings up from that panel! It sits in an alloy recess and the real plus-point is the way the panel opens! It is press to close and press to open. I saw a huge portable CD/radio unit on a car-boot. The CD access flap had a lovely release action, just what I had been looking for. I bought the item, just for that part. I threw the rest in the bin! I am really excited about what I have achieved. The Sat-Nav swings up so smoothly and the whole set-up is so very discrete. Wiring to the Sat-Nav is fully concealed and the device is held in an alloy frame which allows the Sat-nav to be quickly removed and used in another vehicle. Even the pivoting frame can be removed, allowing the dash-top recess to be used entirely, just for storage! Further, because I have just changed my leather interior to a blue colour, I have incorporated addition blue-leather highlights by covering the passenger-side grab-rail in leather. I intend covering that dash-top panel in the same blue leather and surrounding it with a narrow chrome strip.

David

Hi David,

Im loving your A2 already with all of your Add on youv listed, Reminds me of this interior which i drooled all over a while back as totally stunning,
http://neidfaktor.com/audi-a2-a-true-classic-project/

Just recently sarge pm me a few picks and loved a blue interior shot, it had the black door cards, blue seats and blue grab handles which really set the interior off and sounds like your going one step further with your dash and sat nav intergration and sounds really lovely, Have you a project page as would love to see, how and what youv done already, was it very hard to remove the grab handles or did you recover them in place.

Regards Gary

Thanks for your kind comments, Gary. The grab handles are very easy to remove and refit. I changed my platinum handles over to blue in less than an hour! My interior is blue leather but contrasted against a platinum base trim and a twist dash. The grab-handle I had referred too was the bar on the top of the dash on the passenger side. I just thought that I'd like a change of colour for the leather. A major problem has been getting a 4-spoke steering wheel in blue leather (because I have a MFSW) and a blue "Sydmeko" arm-rest. I had to have both these items specially covered in a (near) matching blue leather. I'll have some photos to show you when it's finished.

David

Hello,

Yes, it can be coded to your A2.

All MK1 RNSE units, like the part number you have described, can be fitted to the A2. The reason being is that all MK1 units have the correct inputs for use with the A2's GALA speed signal, and so the map movement etc will work as intended. This is different for the MK2 RNSE, because most units do not have the correct GALA speed signal input, but instead get their speed signal over the CAN network. The only MK2 unit that can be used without other wiring parts is the unit ending in 193B, as this has the correct input.

Hope this helps. :p

Regards,

Matt.

Hi David,

My mistake, Im good at them lately with so many great mods i keep seing and reading about, Thanks for the heads up, another retrofit for my Ta Do list and being among the non purist A2 owners myself, I love seing people personalising there own cars for the own tastes and needs as makes there car a one of a kind..

Gary

ps, Sorry A4NOY for putting a swerve on your thread.

Back