Double din Google stereo

Morning.
Can anyone tell me what size screen or stereo size I can go for with the a2? Have a symphony double din already. Aren't I lucky.
Thanks
Jay

Hello Jay,

I'm not 100% sure on what it is that you're asking so I'll answer what I can.

The A2 when fitted with a double DIN stereo from the factory is fitted with a double DIN 'cage' in the dashboard, but with a slightly wider faceplate than the double DIN standard specifies. As such, if you're fitting an aftermarket double DIN stereo, you'll need spacers at the edges.

Regards,

Matt.

it gives you flexibility, you don't have to worry about the user interface and it works well with online sources. I understand the need and find it very silly that there are no - zero - small 4:3 devices from Android in this space that I know of.

That the sound quality, at least of the II, is good, is the icing on the cake. There's also nothing to steal if it's essentially a dock. At £220 for a 16GB II, it's also cheaper than a decent HU. You also get Nav, speech recognition and if you install something like Torque, a complete OBD device.

I don't understand rejecting a potentially very interesting solution out of hand because it's got the wrong brand name on it and runs a different OS.

- Bret

EDIT: the galaxy tab s2 8.0 is around the right size. 200mm wide. But it's still new and therefore expensive.

Last edited:
Hi. What I mean was a double din unit running Google OS. don't want to install a tablet. I wasn't being rude, I just didn't explain myself correctly.

I remember looking at aftermarket double-DIN units a while back when weighing up options and none seemed particularly good, so ended up going for the Mk2 RNS-E at the time - but I'm sure the quality of the kit has improved markedly since then.

Genuine RNS-E is a neat OEM-looking solution (wheel controls, DIS display) but the interface is clunky, navigation is really dated, you need add-ons for Bluetooth integration, it has no real phone integration or mirroring, no touch-screen etc. and they still make £200 or thereabouts.

There are various Chinese RNS-E-lookalikes available for similar money - both Windows and Android, and not all of them seem terrible. Only lack of DIS integration (which really isn't a big deal, I just like the idea of utilising it) really puts me off. You will need to research carefully though, as they're all superficially similar and some are clearly not of great quality.

Back